1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear disc brakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by montgomery_30824, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 4:45 AM
    DontPanic

DontPanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    The VSC equipped Tacomas use the electric pump boosted (not vacuum boosted) brake system from the other 120 platform trucks (4runner/Lex470/Prado/FJ) which all run 4 disks. Thats why your brake system buzzes and why you may feel a tickle or fant buzz under your foot when you apply the brakes.
    I have a yet unproven pet theory that the poor brake feel we experience in our tacomas stems from the fact that Toyota put drums in a system designed for discs in the rear. As long as the mechanical advantage (usually determined by the volume ratio between the "master" and "slaves") is kept appropriate and the system is proportioned/biased correctly the conversion should not be too difficult for someone with access to a decent aftermarket shop. ABS should work fine as it tones off the hub and as stated earlier our systems are shared with trucks that run 4 discs.
    The real question is why bother? seems like a lot of work for not that much gain to me.

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Well, There have been some folks that have done the Rear brake conversion, and they have all had less performance than with the factory drums.

3. Mar 2, 2009 at 5:35 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I can't understand the fascination with rear discs.The truck stops fine and as Chris posted,better with drums..
    All the more reason to put that rear disc brake money into another mod.:)

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    They might share the same ABS system...but they probably don't have the same master cylinder setup or proportioning as the Tacoma (disc/drum) has.

Drum brakes & discs are different in how they utilize the hydraulic pressure.
    Disks require less fluid, discs don't require residual pressure or metering and gawd knows what else.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0708_4x4_disc_brakes/index.html

5. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I have rear disc brakes on my Tacoma and, for 99.9% of the people out there, I don't recommend the conversion.

The company that made it no longer sells the kit because performance was/is so bad. Braking has suffered and the parking brake is little more than useless now. I ripped out most of the sensors in my truck so I couldn't tell you anything about its effect on the ABS. Also, the brake calipers rubbed the rear shock on the driver's side of my truck when the suspension articulated and came close to wearing a hole through the shock body before I redid my shock setup.

I converted for better cooling and for the self-cleaning aspects of the disc brakes, and that's it. Since the conversion I would *never* tow with my Tacoma.

Leave well enough alone and put the money towards something that will improve the performance and capabilities of your truck.

6. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    :)
    Great post.You're a solid and honest forum member.:cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top