1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear end noise???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bshbtr, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jul 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    bshbtr

bshbtr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 2.7
    Step Tubes Trailer Hitch
    I have a 2011 Prerunner xtra cab with 36k miles. I bought the truck new. Lately I am hear a low howling noise and it sounds like it is coming from the rear end. (the sound that older vehicles had when the rear end was going out) The last few months it has gotten a little louder. Only hear it on the freeway. If you let off of the gas slightly the noise goes away, go back on the gas and you can hear it again. Toyota dealer can't find any thing wrong. Any ideas???

2. Jul 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Nothing may be visually wrong. It's probably inside the differential. No one here can tell you for sure without hearing it themself.

3. Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Grease your u-joints if you can, check the carrier bearing and then dive into the diff.

4. Jul 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Tacorriendo

Tacorriendo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4x4 Off-Road
    Front lift, ride rite air bags, side steps, rear camera switch.
    Start with the cheapest solution then work your way into narrowing the problem.
    First, I would replace the differential oil (synthetic if possible), and grease all the U-joints. If that does not help, then replace U-joints first (cheaper than replacing drive shaft). If that does not fix it, then we are entering the dreading expensive zone, with mayor parts. My take, is that is had to be on the drive line. Wheel bearings tend to make noise all the time. The problem you describe, seems to appear when you put stress (torque) in the drive components.

5. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    bshbtr

bshbtr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 2.7
    Step Tubes Trailer Hitch
    Took the truck back to Toyota and this time they could hear the noise. They ended replacing the entire differential (luckily still under warranty so no charge).
    Two hundred miles later, there is now a different noise coming from the rear end!
    Back to Toyota today.

6. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    That sucks..

7. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    sounds like the rear end housing that is not right since the new third member is now starting to make noise right away, something has to be tweaking the way it is rotating the axles, causing stress big time..

good luck with the dealer...

8. Mar 23, 2015 at 3:59 AM
    S Huff

S Huff Member

Member:
    Gaylord, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Sport 4 Dr 4X4
    I am having the same problem with my new 2014. Toyota, supposedly, replaced the rear differential, but on a trip from Michigan to Arizona the noise came back with a vengeance. I sent an email to the dealer over two weeks ago with no response. I think I will have to take it to another dealer. Does anyone know how I can contact the factory customer service?

9. Jul 25, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    S Huff

S Huff Member

Member:
    Gaylord, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Sport 4 Dr 4X4
    I took my 2014 Tacoma to another dealer and had the differential and transfer case oils replaced. Independently took oil samples prior to my visit.
    After installing 08885-02506 oil to the differential it appears that the noise has lessened some. Will post the results of the oil analysis when I get the results.
    I not sure there could be an alignment problem, or the rear diff gear mesh is not correct.

Products Discussed in

To Top