1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear frame mounted tow hooks?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by phsycle, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Apr 9, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    I’ve never been a fan of armor over plastic. It’s like the front bull bars, you run into something which smashes the bar and pushes into the plastic bumper and breaks that, too.

I’m also not a fan of all the safety features on an off road vehicle, really defeats the purpose and more electronic parts to stop working in a few years.

Again, no disrespect to the OP, just letting everyone know what I’ve seen and spent a ton of money on wasteful mods in my time.

2. Apr 10, 2018 at 7:38 AM
    phsycle

phsycle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    No offense taken. Just trying to be honest with myself with this "build." It's an Off Road, sure. But most of the time, it will be rolling on pavement. My wife drives it as well and 2 kids--yep, safety features are welcome and justified. It's interesting you say parts will stop working in a few years. This isn't FCA made product. No Toyota I've owned with auto climate control, sonar, etc. has ever stopped working. Even after 200k miles. Knock on wood.

We'll be seeing plenty of dirt in southern Utah, which we like to do throughout the year. Look, I've done builds already with lifts, 33's, sliders, etc. I have a ton of miles exploring the deep backcountry roads in the southwest. I think I've got a really good idea of what I really need for the areas we go. I really don't need to be armored up head to toe--we're not tackling Metal Bender or Rubicon. Just a slight lift (OME), 32" A/T's, and maybe sliders, and I'm good. The concern, and the purpose of this thread, is there are places where my tail would probably drag. It's to mitigate damage in those instances. As I said in the OP, I will be using something like a Skidmark hitch skid plate. I am looking to protect the area where the BSM sensor sits. I may have to go custom or modify that Avid OR bar.

[​IMG]

3. Apr 10, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    Grossomotto

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    I’d go custom it’s most likely worth it. Plastic just doesn’t hold up. The armor to protect the plastic bumper may cost the same as an aftermarket bumper.

After I bought my truck I backed into some bushes (as in soft shrubs) and scratched up the plastic bumper end piece and almost tore it off. Couldn’t believe it. That’s when I bought the aftermarket metal bumper. Plus you can get welded shackle mounts and still have a 2” hitch for everything imaginable.

4. Apr 10, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    phsycle

Member:
    CA
    I realize that, but I don't want to lose BSM. Cost is not the issue. Again, I'm not bushwacking or rock crawling. Been there, done that. The bumper cover itself will be fine, except on some rocky ledges. I've been able to successfully avoid scuffing up or tearing off the bumper in the past. Adding extra protection will just ease my mind as we wander the roads.

ronoc likes this.
  5. Apr 10, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    Grossomotto

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

6. Apr 10, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    vuTron

vuTron Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD O/R DCSB AT
    Its a travesty that Skidmark product is red.... should be brown. duh.

i8boots, ronoc and SpearJoshuaTree like this.
  7. Apr 10, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    ronoc

ronoc WisTaco Guy

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    Bruce 2017 TRD OR DCLB 4x4
    Line-X coated Leer 180 topper Prinsu cab rack Ebay Pro Grill
    I get you completely. BSM is a very nice feature on the highway. Little lights when I check my mirrors to tell me "Yup something's here" are great. I don't have the parking sensor on, I don't like the beeping as I backup I can use my mirrors and backup cam, however the alert BEEP from the BSM when backing has alerted to me of cars or people coming when backing out of a somewhere before I could see them. (Imagine backing out of a parking spot next to a cargo van. You can't see some kid coming at you from that side, but the BSM can.)

phsycle[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 10, 2018 at 9:45 AM
    foy1der

foy1der Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W1FOY
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
  9. Apr 10, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    phsycle

Member:
    CA
  10. Apr 10, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    phsycle

Member:
    CA
    Yup. Ton of kids around, and with a long truck (compared to the wife's car anyway), it is helpful, especially when she takes the wheel.

I may ask a custom fabricator to weld something like the Skid mark together. Bolt it up to the frame, where the hitch is mounted to. Something like that to either side.

162140d1434680858-product-review-skidmar_04827fbfa0bdf3da166e4e12e18f0be0d59964ee.jpg

11. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    CAtacoWaves

CAtacoWaves Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MT DCSB OR
    Rhino Rack Gutter Channels & Rack, Thule Bed Rack (old model mod), Bed Platform,[Switches: Stereo Brightness, NAV Bypass, White Noise Backup Alarm], Interior AC plugs w/400W anytime, Gate King, Bed & Underhood Lights, SPIKER Eng Hood Struts, MICTUNING Tailgate Light Bar, Blinker Genie 2 Mod for side mirrors and side markers. CBI 0deg Rock Rails, Riccochet Al Full Skids, Bed Divider Rear Window Block, Rostra Front Rock Crawl Camera, Rostra Front/Rear Dashcams, [Alarm Upgrades: Glass Break Sensor, and Tilt Sensor, Shock Sensor, Tailgate Sensor with off switches]. Snail Armor Tailgate Insert. Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock. SaBellCo Tailgate Security Lock. Wheeler's OR 1.5" Prog Add-a-leaf with stock Overload spring. TIMBREN Active OR Rear Bump Stops. FOB free key. HitchSafe. TUFFY Lock Boxes in Center Console & Rear Seat. Toyota Wheel and Spare Tire Locks. In progress: Bilstein 5100s & OME 886 coils, Durobumps Front Bumpstops, CBI hidden front hitch, Hitch mounted winch with front and rear wiring, Eco Gapshield, War Fab Inc Sheridan Hitch Skid, Battery Upgrade. Make me stop...
    Looks like this post is pretty old now, but it looks like that aftermarket bumper has holes drilled in it to put the BSM sensors. And it looks like the controller is bolt on, so you can just move it to the back of the bumper and bolt it in wherever you can fit it, where the wires still reach. Worse case bolt to the bottom of the bed. Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. What did you end up doing...asking from 3 years in the future, and possibly doing myself whenever I get an excuse to.

12. Dec 30, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    manwithtools

manwithtools Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    So Cal - San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Gray Off Road
    Fox 2.5's Deaver Stage 2. 5.29's, 285/70/R17 Front E-Locker
    Did you read the bumper manufacture's web page?

Brand: Fab Fours
    Part Number: TT16-W3651-1
    Product Type: Rear Bumper
    Vehicle Fitment: Toyota Tacoma 2016-2022
    Condition: New
    Note: Includes sensor holes
    Note: Blind Spot Monitoring will not work

The holes you are referring to are for back up sonar sensors, not BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring). See the note in bold in the sentence above...

13. Dec 30, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    CAtacoWaves

CAtacoWaves Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MT DCSB OR
    Rhino Rack Gutter Channels & Rack, Thule Bed Rack (old model mod), Bed Platform,[Switches: Stereo Brightness, NAV Bypass, White Noise Backup Alarm], Interior AC plugs w/400W anytime, Gate King, Bed & Underhood Lights, SPIKER Eng Hood Struts, MICTUNING Tailgate Light Bar, Blinker Genie 2 Mod for side mirrors and side markers. CBI 0deg Rock Rails, Riccochet Al Full Skids, Bed Divider Rear Window Block, Rostra Front Rock Crawl Camera, Rostra Front/Rear Dashcams, [Alarm Upgrades: Glass Break Sensor, and Tilt Sensor, Shock Sensor, Tailgate Sensor with off switches]. Snail Armor Tailgate Insert. Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock. SaBellCo Tailgate Security Lock. Wheeler's OR 1.5" Prog Add-a-leaf with stock Overload spring. TIMBREN Active OR Rear Bump Stops. FOB free key. HitchSafe. TUFFY Lock Boxes in Center Console & Rear Seat. Toyota Wheel and Spare Tire Locks. In progress: Bilstein 5100s & OME 886 coils, Durobumps Front Bumpstops, CBI hidden front hitch, Hitch mounted winch with front and rear wiring, Eco Gapshield, War Fab Inc Sheridan Hitch Skid, Battery Upgrade. Make me stop...
    Bummer. I wonder if now 3 years later there is a BSM compatible rear steel bumper, now there is so much support for the 3rd gen. I can imagine that sonar doesn't penetrate through a steel bumper all too good, so that might not be feasible. Anyone find one?

14. Dec 30, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    shotgunbilly420

shotgunbilly420 OG Owner 230k+mi club/Tacoma enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Montesano, Washington elv. 66ft
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd Tacoma offraod AT Inferno
    315/75/16, 6in modded RC lift,Anderson Engineering manifold spacer,K&N air intake, URD YPipe, stock exhaust ,16" method nv305 wheels, AFE throttle body spacer, vf Tune program, JTL 3.0 Oil catch can x2, rear cat delete
    Whoa whats this

15. Dec 30, 2021 at 3:23 PM
    JManning1423

JManning1423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 M/T Sand Tacoma TRD OR
    Too many to count
    OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are just wanting to protect the sensor, right?

If thats the case you could look into getting a couple custom wiring harness made and moving the mounting point for each side. Move the sensor in to the rear fender area.

Again, you mentioned it being highly calibrated and very finicky, so not sure how well that would work, but a couple wiring harnesses would be alot cheaper than a whole new bumper

16. Jan 4, 2022 at 5:27 PM
    Lava-road

Lava-road Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    Supreme Suspensions makes a Hitch skid plate with Tow shackles (Amazon Prime -$159.00) has a step too..T
    Protects the bumper and hitch …
    Only thing is I had to drill out the inside hole to flush mounted the Hitch skid plate…

heavy duty for sure…great for Tacoma with long beds… got one on my 2019 Tacoma TRD off road…

skid plate will not protect the ends of the bumpers…but it protect the center and hopefully as it slides..because it sit below the hitch ( skid) it will lift the bottom of bumper higher…as it slides…
    The hitch skid plates does have a hole to install one shackle…easy to reach and will not drag on the ground!
    Aloha

Products Discussed in

To Top