1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Leaf Install...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by yoTaco98, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Dec 31, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    yoTaco98

yoTaco98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yo
    VA
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 Xtra-Cab Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    5100's Front and Rears, Toytec Eibach Coils, All Pro 3" Standard Leafs, BAMF BPV Bracket, ARMA Sprayed Bedliner, TGD Hunter Bull Bar, Blacked-out Headlights and Corners, Revtek 1" Diff Drop, Start Command Remote Start and Keyless Entry, Pioneer DEH-11E HU...
    Well....guess I can stop now.

OEM leafs are 1-3/4" and the All Pro's are 2", and there is exactly 1/4" of thread on the OEM U-bolts....

So if I go any further than getting the truck lifted, I'm pretty sure I would have wasted my time.

Where did you all get your U-Bolts from? I see 2 crown J said Wheeler's. Any other recommendations?

OK...in all honesty, do I really need longer break lines?

I have OEM leafs with 2.5" shackles, and I have quite a bit of slack in the break lines. Are brake lines a absolutely necessary?

2. Dec 31, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Re-read post #18

Check with 4WD.
    Doug has posted in this thread and is familiar with 1st gen.

3. Dec 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    yoTaco98

Member:
    First Name:
    Yo
    VA
    Vehicle:
    5100's Front and Rears, Toytec Eibach Coils, All Pro 3" Standard Leafs, BAMF BPV Bracket, ARMA Sprayed Bedliner, TGD Hunter Bull Bar, Blacked-out Headlights and Corners, Revtek 1" Diff Drop, Start Command Remote Start and Keyless Entry, Pioneer DEH-11E HU...
    4WD,

Do I actually need new brake lines if I have a quite bit of slack on mine now with 2.5" shackles. I'm thinking the previous owner might have changed them before. Seems like I have 2-3" extra with the current 2.5" set up. Can't really see them pulling too tight at an extra 1/2".

jflan,

What shop do you go to to have new bolts made? Any regular machine shop?

2 crown j,

We you able to find a set of longer u bolts? Are you going from OEM to 3' All-Pros?

Thanks for all your help guys. I do have 2 more days off, so I might be able to pull this off this weekend yet.

4. Dec 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    yoTaco98,

Go to a spring shop for U-bolts, give them the dimensions you want and they will bend them, probably while you wait.

5. Dec 31, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    If you already have lift w/shackles & you have significant slack in brake line adding another half inch is fine, you should be good to go

6. Dec 31, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    This ^^^

Just look up Auto, Truck Springs in the Yellow Pages.
    There are spring shops throughout the US and some even go back to horse and buggy days. It's old tech that will always be around.

Most of them carry straight, threaded stock that can be round bent or square bent on their machine, to your specs.

7. Dec 31, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    2 crown j

2 crown j Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bothell,wa
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma dclb 4x4
    yes I am going from stock to allpro standard 3" lift
    Yes 4 wheel parts had longer square u bolts.

I finnished the driver side today. I installed the extended brake lines. PITA
    Then got the leaf spring and shock installed.

8. Dec 31, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Nice ! get some pics up when you can.....;)

Yep, I've dropped alot of axles & R&R'd a few springs, but the part of any install I fear the most, is having to fuck with those B.S. brakelines (especially 2nd gens.) they go one of two ways, either they're a piece of cake or a total pain in the ass... (usually a pain in the ass)

9. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    1998tacoma4x4

1998tacoma4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L Auto
    Deaver j59 pack 2.5 SAW coilovers, rear bilstein 5100's. Extened stainless rear brake line, deck plate mod, drop in K&N filter, Kenwood headunit & pioneer speakers, SnugTop Shell.
  10. Jan 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    yoTaco98

Member:
    First Name:
    Yo
    VA
    Vehicle:
    That was a great write up.

I did the install last week, and it was indeed pretty easy. His write up says 65 ft. lbs of torque, but the FSM said U-bolts should be torqued to 90 ft. lbs.

Which is correct? I'm currently torqued at 90.

I have the BPV extension ordered, didn't know I needed that. And although the current brake line is working, I went ahead and ordered longer brake line.

The only other issue I have is the newly developed vibration between 15 and 30 mph. They weren't there before. I've done some reading and I guess it's caused by the drive shaft angle.

Am I going to have to use shims? Do I just use the Toytec 2.5 degree ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11. Jan 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    90 ft/lbs is good.

Do you have a 2 piece rear drive line with a carrier bearing?

12. Jan 27, 2012 at 2:45 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Your vibe is from the increased driveline angle at the rear diff/yoke/driveshaft U joint connection, a carrier (center bearing) drop usually resolves this 99% of the time, you have a 2-piece shaft w/dbl cardan joint, JLEE (member here) Has a real nice beefy BPV relocation bracket for sale here, very good quality, very solid..

Oh yeah, your torque of 90-100 ft lbs is more realistic than the 65 ft lbs mentioned although every Tacoma I've worked on 1st or 2nd gens (some even brand new) have had loose U bolt nuts, below even 65ft. lbs

13. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    zeropresence

zeropresence Well-Known Member

Member:
    SOLD the Tacoma. Landcruiser life now.
    I just did the Allpro Expos on my 2WD. I noticed the forward increased driveline angle, I only get a little bit of vibration/jerking right when I take off from a stop. I'm wondering if it is worth moving carrier or just deal with it. Also stupid question: Do shims have anything do it with this?

14. Jan 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

I'm assuming you have 2wd ex. or access cab, this too would have 2 piece shaft, its really no big deal to drop the carrier an inch or so with a couple well fitting spacers (there are after market drop brackets available too) & eliminate the vibe altogether, your question about shims is not stupid at all bro', with 1 piece shafts shimming the axle to correct drive angle is not only the best way to do this, but pretty much the only way & a bit more exacting for alignment. A 1-piece driveshaft is alot more sensitive to adjustments because it doesn't have the "buffer" & added idiosynchrosis of a dbl jointed (dbl cardan) 2 piece shaft to "soak up" (for lack of better term) the watering down of a more direct connection that a 1 piece shaft provides, hopes that explains a little....;)

15. Feb 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    yoTaco98

Member:
    First Name:
    Yo
    VA
    Vehicle:
    I ordered the Revtek 3/8" CB spacer from Wheelers. $11, can't really hurt to try it first.

Hopefully, I'll get around to installing them this weekend.

Products Discussed in

To Top