1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Lift Airbags?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tooltime, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Thinking about putting a set of firestone riderites on this summer.Cant pull trailer with firewood without sagging.

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    Same here.

3. Feb 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Tooltime

Tooltime [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD Double Cab Sport LB
    Step bars, 2" front leveling kit, 265/70R17, Factory Roof Rack, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover
    Just looked at the Firestone page and they don't show any for a 2012 Taco :-(
    I guess I will need to call to find out what the deal is.

4. Feb 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    On my 06 2WD I would drive and flex until it would not go anymore. Open diff. I did not do that a whole lot but I never had a prob with the air bags.

With my 12 4WD? I guess I will find out this summer? I think it should be fine.

5. Feb 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's where the bags come in really handy

If you and boomer haven't replaced you stock shocks yet I would recommend doing so in conjunction with airbags. My truck is too old for the rear leaf TSB, I didn't have the $ for a new leaf set up which is why I installed the Wheeler's 2 inch AAL. With the cap and rack constant weight+tools and materials, this set up has proven to be quite stout when I need it to be and a much better ride unloaded that the POS stock billies. I usually leave the bags at about 10 psi empty which levels the truck out.

'11 to '12 was mostly cosmetic changes, maybe ask a dealership if there are any changes to the rear set up, my feeling is that there probably isn't

Yeah, i saw the same thing, I was concerned because it looked as though it was the airbags that determined the length of travel. This is why I'm thinking of strapping the axle, mainly peace of mind.

6. Feb 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    I want to get the Firestone ones too. Do you have to pull wheels off? Probably a dumb question.

I has both airbags and air shocks in my 4runner. The air shocks WILL LEAK at some point. I had 2 sets and both leaked over time. Auto shop stopped carrying them cause they always leaked.

7. Feb 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. yes you do have to pull the wheels off, jack the frame and put another jack under the pumpkin to get the rear to the right height to bolt in the bags the rest of the way.

8. Feb 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    If you are doing it on the ground take out your spare also. Gives you a nice place to sit up and work.

9. Feb 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    Couple hours tops, that's with zip tying the lines and running them to and through the 7 pin plate below the bumper

10. Feb 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    Oh ok, I just did bags and lines running out

11. Feb 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    The 2WD version was very, very easy. 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

The 4WD version was a lot different. More parts. Smaller screws. I think I ended up at 3-4 hours? My big mits and the small spaces for the small bolts with cold weather made for a pain in the ass. Plus my old man back doesn't help. I did it about a month ago. It was 1 to 2 hours in that I decided to remove the spare tire.

So far I have only put the bags in. In a few months when the weather is nicer I will put in a wireless control system with compressor.

12. Feb 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    If anyone is interested I'll be taking mine out soon. I installed a heavy duty leaf pack and I doubt I'll need the bags now. They are 18 months old, no issues. They worked great with the lighter springs. PM me .....................

13. Feb 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    Tooltime

Tooltime [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Step bars, 2" front leveling kit, 265/70R17, Factory Roof Rack, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover
    Thanks guys...with all the good feedback, I order the Firestones from **************.com arrived in two days and hope to install this weekend if the weather holds out. :)

14. Feb 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Awesome, let us know how it goes

15. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    Tooltime

Tooltime [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Ok, installed them yesterday....perfect fit, pretty dang easy, especially with air tools. Took about two hours and they work awesome. Again, thanks for all your help. Will post pictures of my build soon.

16. Mar 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Tooltime

Tooltime [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    I had seen where someone had just taken their bump stop out. That is what I did. It was super easy, just loosen one U bolts a little and it slide right out. Again with air tools, took about a minute to 90 seconds and it was done.

17. Mar 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Save a few bucks guys .. my regular price on either kit is $265. They are both in stock too.

18. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Load goes in the back, why would you need bags in the front,besides I don't thing anyone makes anything for the front

19. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    You only need them for the rear as that's where the biggest change in weight you'd need to compensate for. Second, unless you're loading and unloading stuff all the time, you probably don't need a compressor. I keep the airbags inflated to 5-10 psi most of the time. Only adding when either I tow or put one of my dirt bikes on the trailer hitch-the compressor would be nice but it's not necessary.

20. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    acdronin

Member:

With a compressor he can go full on derp with some train horns

Products Discussed in

To Top