1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear locking diff

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rmarqu2, May 10, 2010.

1. May 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    All the mod does is activates the traction control system in 4L, it operates the same as 4 high.
    Compared to a single locker or LSD, TRAC is far more capable, and free. Dual lockers will outperform it, but by that time, warranty on any associated parts is compromised, as well as the $500 - $2000+ cost. With the TRAC mod, reconnect the wire, and everything is good.

2. May 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

BS.

I have never had to use A-TRAC to get moving with Locker engaged, but I have often had to use the locker when A-TRAC wouldn't help at all.

I live and work on a tobacco and cattle farm, I use this truck on a daily basis on roads people around here wouldn't go down without a group. I have never had a situation where A-TRAC was more help than a locker. It simply doesn't transfer enough power to do anything that useful, but it is very helpful in smaller situations where pressing a button is alot easier and quicker than engaging the locker, and can sometimes pull off some impressive things, but saying it is more capable than the locker is laughable.

3. May 10, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    rmarqu2

rmarqu2 [OP] YES... i am a murse....

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around

Well.... after reading the ENTIRE writeup on it. I think i might just be going that route after all! The only thing i would be worried about is breaking an axle or something and trying to claim it on my warranty and them finding out that i modded my system. But after reading more about it, they would never be able to find that i cut that wire in a million years! Let me sleep on it! Thanks Isthatahemi!

4. May 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Well, something doesn't add up, because how could you have more grip with 3 wheels pushing than 4? I have used ATRAC to pull me out of a small mudbath, when I had both back wheels locked, but only one front had traction, which is a fairly typical water exit scenario. I had someone filming, but they stopped when I got stuck, what they didn't realize, was that I didn't have ATRAC engaged, so they put down the camera, and i punched it and drove out. I agree, a locker is advantages in certain circumstances, but no way can 1 locked axle do more than 2. Check out all the vids available, I will get some more of my truck, 3 wheels spinning, and you can watch ATRAC pull it out.

How do you figure ATRAC does not transfer enough power? I have never seen a situation where anyone has powered past ATRAC's ability to transfer torque. I have however broken my rear diff when it was locked....
    In your situation on a cattle farm, a locker would generally give less drama. But that open front end is a killer on obstacles.

But I digress, this thread was about free TRAC vs installing one or two lockers,($$$) Having owned the entire range, from Trac modded 09, to a locked and ATRAC'd 2010. I stick by my original statement, that TRAC mod is at least as capable in all situations, with advantages in others.

5. May 10, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    rmarqu2

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around
    I would love to have that extra money from not buying ARB lockers and put it to something else. Like a winch.

6. May 10, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

Dude, everything you say is a vague truth filled with exaggerations.

ATRAC doesn't lock the axle or come close to locking it, that is a BS, and ridiculous. TRAC sure as hell doesn't come close. In most situations it doesn't work as good as a real limited slip, and doesn't sustain any kind of power transfer. It shudders the brakes on one wheel so the other can turn, that's it, you can only do so much with that, it doesn't lock anything, it isn't some extremely complex system, it pulses the brakes to give an alternate wheel a chance to get traction, it doesnt constantly supply power. And it can only transfer so much powerby doing this, and the power it does transfer comes in pulses. It helps in some situations, but it doesn't come close to 'locking both axels'.

Your logic is ridiculous, and your truck must be a damn lemon, I've never seen one other person come on here and say they broke their locker, and I don't know how you could unless it was defective or you abused it/didn't know how to use it properly, not to mention all your other problems. The TRD elocker is solid and strong and made by Eaton who, along with ARB, make the best lockers around. ATRAC is helpful and cool, but it isn't better than a locker, and TRAC isn't ATRAC, I've never done the little mod but if it's what operates by default in 4hi then it cuts the throttle and is more of a safety/stability control. And, sure ATRAC can help out the front end when you have a locker, no doubt, but having the rear locked is gonna be more useful than the ATRAC and no locker, and far more capable.

And how is a farm a specific situation? as if one farm is anything like another. I live next to a mountain on rolling hills with uneven roads everywhere and bottoms with creeks and mud (not right now it hasn't rained in like 3 weeks).

And I'm not saying the guy needs a locker, or thats the way to go, I'm just saying don't misrepresent the alternatives.

7. May 10, 2010 at 10:54 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    SubZombie,

I would disagree with that. You can have three wheels spin and A-TRAC will still get you out. Just look at what A-TRAC can do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MOEZYAv5Q&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvtTKzVy2M&feature=player_embedded

You obviously don't pay attention to what goes on around here. Here is a list of people who have blown their diffs on TW. The guys in bold had their diffs locked, with the others it is unclear. In most cases it was the ring gear that went.

Consider yourself informed. :p

BirdTRD Diff Grenade with Pics (2009 4x4) posted on 05-07-2010, 04:34 PM
    1TUFFTRD Gernaded my rear diff... (2005 4x4) posted on 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
    dysfunctnlretard Friday Night Offroading (3-26-10) (2009 prerunner) posted on 04-01-2010, 06:18 PM
    Isthatahemi REAR DIFF FAILURE! - Not impressed. (2010 4x4 TRD Off road) 04-18-2010, 06:30 PM
    Neubs Blown Ring and Pinion (E-Locker type) (2006 4x4 TRD Off Road) 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM
    silverback07 TEXAS MEET FEB 21st & Silverbacks Tacoma Evolution (2007 4x4 Off Road) 02-23-2009, 06:22 AM
    HBMurphy :eek: Gears Shouldn't Look Like This!!! (2009 4x4 Off Road) 12-25-2009, 04:49 PM
    yance Anyone ever had their E Lock rear diff go bad? (2007 4x4 Off Road) 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM
    RelentlessTaco RelentlessTaco's build up (2007 4x4 Off Road?) 03-21-2010, 06:14 PM

8. May 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    rmarqu2

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    Thanks Crom, very informative all the way around. Now.... On that first video, what would the results be if I would be doing this wire cut mod? (obviously not the same without ATRAC) but would I make it off the rollers at all?

9. May 11, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I can only speculate but I am reasonably certain that you would make it off the rollers. The difference being more engine RPM and wheel spin in required for TRAC to engage.

Look at this video of Yoytoda. He did the TRAC mod in 4lo (yellow wire mod).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AH1yIUp0A&feature=player_embedded

10. May 11, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I wouldn't exactly say easy.. A monkey could probably get the job done, but making your third last is a totally different story. The window of tolerance for the third member is small enough to where very little error will cause premature failure if not achieve. For that matter, very few people have the measuring tools necessary to install a locker properly. Just my .02 cents.

11. May 11, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Is your lease up yet so you can move on?

12. May 11, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    if you installing lock right there is nothing to measure unless you mess up your washers. Lock right replaces spider gears inside the carrier so there is no need to reset the R&p. Sure I had to remove the Ring to pull the spider gears out but I marked exact location and installed in exact spot it was before. Hardest part is to make sure you put all the springs inside the locker correctly and to make sure your third member is sealed when you bolt it back. When I was doing mine in 1gen I found one of the Ring bolts loose so I was glad I did the work. Otherwise one day o n the trail I would have one of the bolts rolling in my diff :eek:

13. May 11, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    ARB lockers is money well spent. IMO if you have front rear locked you will not brake unless you do something crazy but then again people who do have front & rear locked tend to go to places they would have never before dare to even consider.
    No electronic system will outperform lockers. Having all 4 wheels rotate at the same exact speed, all the time is a key to having perfect traction.
    As the price goes. I think price of lockers is still cheaper then drive-train repairs and body damage. IMO

14. May 11, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    I hear you, and you're right, installing a lock right is pretty straight forward, and anyone with simple hand tools should be able to get the job done. I didn't realize your post was in reference to a lock right until I read further into the thread. For some reason I was under the impression you were speaking in reference to a full carrier swap.

15. May 11, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    First it's not personal at all.

Your videos of ATRAC are exactly what I described it as doing, hardly locking two axels, it gives you a chance for traction but doesn't tear through anything. I use it, I have it. I know what it does. Doesn't compare to really locking the diff. It is also useful in more particular situations where a locker is more helpful in general. It can also overheat and shutdown. If I was in an situation where I wanted something as a backup ATRAC sure wouldn't come before a locker, I don't know many people here who would say otherwise.

And I think you misunderstood what I was saying with the links you posted, which are mostly general rear diff failures. Not what I was talking about at all. Some of them even say they didn't have the locker engaged.

I stand by exactly what I said.

16. May 11, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:

I'm just curious as to what constitutes a 'general rear diff failure?' There is no general failures, it either fails or it doesn't fail. Toyota has a known issue with the 3.73 rear ring gear that comes stock with the TRD Off-Road. Toyota its self has even acknowledged this. There really isn't much beating around the bush to do. Toyota has supplied crap 3.73 ring gears in their locked rear ends for the last 5 years now, acknowledged the fact, yet still has not remedied the issue. There are MANY more instances of the rear diff failures in question other than the small list provided by Crom.

17. May 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    When he says he broke the locker that doesn't equal a rear diff failure to me, could just be me and how I read that wording, it equals the locker mechanism failing, something in the locker motor, or one of the pins that keeps it engaged breaking so the rear won't lock. I don't see this as the same thing as 'I stripped the gearing in my rear diff, or my rear diff blew up.

Also, it's pretty reasonable to say the TRAC/ATRAC causes alot more stress on the diff than a locker would when used properly and could cause a failure more easily than having the locker engaged, as the ATRAC system puts alot of sudden jerking force, pounding force even, directly on the differential gearing.

The point I'm after with everything I said is that TRAC/ATRAC isn't a substitute for a locker, even though it is still a good thing to have.

18. May 11, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Agreed! That was just from my memory. :D

There are MANY threads about the locker actuator not engaging properly. If you search TW you will find that this is true.

19. May 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    shockme

shockme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Gotta love locking diffs for rock crawling, front and rear on my 85 CJ, not so good for daily driving on paved roads (of course).

20. May 11, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    That's fair enough, I just haven't seen them, and I searched too before I said that and only came across a couple 1st gen problems, a time or two with problems after the user had modded it, a person with a Sport saying his locker isn't working, and alot of 'locker won't engage/isn't engaging posts where every single time it was user error from people who hadn't used it before (which is understandable, as I didn't think mine was working right the first time either, but most people who post that their locker isn't working don't know they have to be in 4lo, or don't know they have to sometimes wait/zigzag/be spinning a wheel for things to line up so that it can engage ), but couldn't find once where the actually locker mechanism was broken, or didn't engage because the mechanism wasn't working properly, but if you know of some feel free to educate me.

I did find an ATRAC v Locker poll where the locker won overwhelmingly :p.

Products Discussed in

To Top