1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Sag Suggestions: Supersprings, Wheeler Replacements, Or...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by volcom415, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    volcom415

volcom415 [OP] Newbie question asker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 4Cyl 2.7 SR5 EXT Cab
    Bilstein 5100 in front, Monroe Sensatracs in rear (didnt know any better)
    Ok So did some searching and basically I load my road racing motorcycles up in my truck very frequently on the weekends. I travel usually 3-900 miles a trip on my 2002 prerunner extra cab. Its fully loaded and I think with even a couple hundred pounds it will start to sag. Im thinking that the leaf springs are just kind of shot.

It has 120K miles on the clock and i just recently replace the front with bilstein 5100s and the rear with monroe sensatracs (before I did research).

I saw the wheeler tacoma replacement leaf packs and thought that that would be better than just AAL if all my stock OEM leafs are shot any ways. I also dont really want to lift it that much since I have to load it up with bikes but understand that if it will prevent the truck from being on the bump stops the whole ride and make the handling better under load Im all for it. I would also love for the ride to not be super harsh but do understand if its the only way. I also know that I might have to address the issue of throwing in new shocks cause I dont know if the monroe sensatracs can handle the lift.

I saw these supersprings and have read reports of it adding lift and making it stiffer while others reported no difference. I think that it might be a good option if it was the latter as well as replace the leaf pack with the wheeler stuff. I am also not really opposed to going with the 5100s in the rear as the fronts have been night and day.

I would love to hear ALL the suggestions or experiences with your solutions. Thanks in advance

Sean

2. Jan 18, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    humtaco

humtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the Wheelers 5 leaf packs and like them so far, $500+ when you throw in U bolts and shipping. These give about 1 1/2" lift and additional load capacity.

There are cheaper alternatives so it may depend on your budget which route you go. The Timbren SES seems interesting but its hard to get good information on how well they work on Tacomas.

3. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    OME springs!

4. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    volcom415

Member:
    Vehicle:
    which ones:confused:

sorry just total freaking newbie on this stuff and I know you knowledgeable guys get the same questions all the time...its just like the motorcycle forums, but I seriously tried researching and have found a difinitive answer like the bilsteins in regards to shocks...

Please help me out I need to buy and try to get this stuff install sooner than later...

5. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    Well by OME I meant the suspension branch of the company ARB called Old Man Emu. I have a full suspension from them. It's a little expensive but it's made to last and is a pretty smooth ride compared to stock. The load-carrying capacity is also much better than the stock leafs (4 leafs and 2 overloads instead of 3 leafs and 1 overload). The suspension also includes a 2" lift.

6. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    volcom415

Member:
    Vehicle:
    oh that sounds like a good alternative, any pros or cons that you have experienced?

And any links on where you got them from...
    Thanks for the response...keep them coming guys!

7. Jan 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    Pros:
    Durability
    Strength (aka load capacity)
    Includes 2.25" lift when you install full OME rear suspension (incl. hardware)

Cons:
    Price
    Should also lift the front (recommend OME again, but you can do whatever for the 2" of lift)

I bought all of my stuff from http://www.4by4connection.com/tacoma3.html

But you could also try toytec lifts as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top