1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear seal leak differential 96 Toyota Tacoma four-wheel-drive

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jfasig, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Jul 22, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    Jfasig

Jfasig [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just bought a 1996 Toyota Tacoma ring good for will drive all good front in tight test drove it good I noticed a little gear oil coming out the rear differential but the guy said he just pressure washed it and he topped it off could've overfilled it I'm a dumbass anyway I bought it driving down the highway got about 30 miles it was raining had somebody following me who's rain missed quite pretty bad to make it short he's my buddy said I think you got smoke coming from the rear end or something you need to stop I stopped front seal on rear differential leaking bad very very hot on the interstate I could do was go get Morgan oil and try to get home another 10 miles put new gear oil in heavy vibration and we're in now could it be just the front bearing on the differential or do you think it shot I know it's the seal and probably the bearing to any help would be appreciated JF

2. Jul 22, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I think I understand what you tried to say, and I also think it needs to go to a pro shop for diagnosis.

3. Jul 22, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    Jfasig

Jfasig [OP] New Member

Member:
    I need to edit that last post I should've read it better it ran good and tight 4 wheel drive good it was raining there was a lot of rain mist from the road could not tell it was smoke at the time but my friend said better pull over something smoking in the back looks like the rear end pulled over went and got more gear oil filled it up started to leave got up to about 35-45 moderate to heavy vibration. Got off the interstate and got on the side roads limped it home slowly haven't even messed with it yet, could it be just the front bearing at the yolk and the seal or do you think the whole thing a shot ,didn't mean the interstate was hot meant the differential specially the yoke area was very hot smoking out the front seal it dripped out about a basketball size puddle sitting still there so there was (something) in there.It was a very small amount of Metal shavings on the plug .lLike I said any help would be appreciated

4. Jul 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM
    Jfasig

Jfasig [OP] New Member

Member:
    I don't have quite a lot of money in this too much now but if I take it to the pro shop probably cost as much is the truck .

5. Jul 22, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Rear-end needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It's junk. Sounds like the pinion bearing is toast. That amount of driving on a bearing that bad will ruin the gears. Find a used one with matching gear ratio.

6. Jul 22, 2017 at 1:06 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Agreed on all points.

Find a used 3rd member

mechanicjon[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    daryl lict

daryl lict Well-Known Member

Member:
    arizona
    $open diffs for life$
    look on the bright side, now you can get a locker! :bananadead::bananadance:

mechanicjon likes this.
  8. Jul 22, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    yep, was just returning to recommend what @mechanicjon already posted.

You might find that installing an entire unit, axles and all, to be the easiest plan.

mechanicjon likes this.
  9. Jul 23, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    Jfasig

Jfasig [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies from everyone ,it already had a locker in it is there any parts do you think I should save?.I guess I'll get it tore down see what's left get to use during somewhere already tried the junkyards around here not a whole lot available any ideas or good online places to check thanks again

10. Jul 23, 2017 at 9:56 AM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    To help us help you. fill out your info in your profile. Like year of truck and location.

11. Jul 23, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    daryl lict

daryl lict Well-Known Member

Member:
    arizona
    $open diffs for life$
    Bummer. It will be harder to find a replacement locker with the correct gearing but it can be done.

Products Discussed in

To Top