1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Setup For First Gen

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Dalandser, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Mar 31, 2017 at 1:41 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser [OP] ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I'm looking to eventually replace the rear setup on my 98 with a simple SUA arrangement with TC hangers and shackles and relocating the shocks outside of the frame. I know space is tight between the wheels and the frame, but I'm running 2" spacers and I'm aware that clearance between the frame and the end of the axle is also tight. The biggest question I have is where to mount the shackle and what length to get as well as what leaf pack will suit me best. I've seen different length shackles mounted above and through the frame on TC's website. I know they offer F67's, but I've heard mixed reviews about them on here so maybe people with experience with them can fill in the details on these. I'd rather have things be a little stiff (ha) unloaded than the back end drooping when I put enough gear for a few day camping road trip in my camper shell.

To make it pretty clear what I intend on using the truck for I'll say that I am not cutting any holes in the bed so that will limit shock size to 10-12 inches, probably 10 if I am not mistaken. I also want to run hydro bumps when I can afford them. What shackle / spring setup would give maximum wheel travel (obviously) considering this? Most first gens run shocks through the bed or behind the axle, but both of those are not options based on what I want to use the truck for. I'll be carrying a shell and probably 300lbs of gear when camping. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  2. Mar 31, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    RedManRocket

RedManRocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Sonora, Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab LT
    Esb 5.5 with Kings Mcneil 6.5 fenders Other stuffs
    With that much weight I'd get 12" shackles above the frame with h70 leaf pack, f67 will sag no doubt with any weight really

Dalandser[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 31, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Thank you man. I'm still thinking about the spare stuff if you still have it, but I'm waiting to hear if I'll be able to start a teaching job this year before the summer. I'm trying not to spend any unnecessary funds in case I need to use my savings to get through the summer.

4. Mar 31, 2017 at 10:12 AM
    RedManRocket

RedManRocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Sonora, Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab LT
    Esb 5.5 with Kings Mcneil 6.5 fenders Other stuffs
    No worries man, just still lying around haha. I mean if you're going long travel you might not want the spare tire under the bed

5. Mar 31, 2017 at 11:21 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    So I've been getting into how I can have a full size spare without a swingout or losing bed space and I think I've figured it out. For driving around town I can just leave it under the bed. For off roading I think I can mount the tire to a custom made bracket that is basically the same thing as the bed tire carrier only attached to the underside of a camper shell roof - with reinforcement bracket(s) to distribute the load where it passes through the camper shell. If I get your parts I can make what I need and even have two full size spares for really remote adventures where I'd be sketched out driving on my last good tire if I got a flat. I'll still be able to sleep in the bed and keep all my stuff in the bed as well. If worst comes to worst I can just have the extra parts as spares and put the tire flat on the bed and build a little cot to go over it to sleep on.

I think I'll do it. I'll pm you.

Also for the leaf pack it looks like All Pro used to offer an alternative to the H70's. They're pretty much the only go to option at this point it seems like? $850 seems reasonable if they last a good 4 years or so without sagging.

6. Apr 14, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Using a short shock under the bed is what will limit your travel, you will end up losing a lot of the travel those springs have. If you are set on keeping the shocks below the bed then you might as well stick with a mid travel set up for the springs and not spend the money and time on springs that won't get used. I am sure you have seen the mid travel thread but a lot of guys in there with springs in the stock hangers but using a 10-12" shock. The only other way would be to cantilever the shocks but that wouldn't work with how you want the spare tire

7. Apr 14, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I'd be putting the shocks outboard and I realize that this will limit my travel. I also have plans to eventually weld in some sheet metal and make a low profile bed cage that will accept longer shocks, but keep the dust and water out of the bed - it's kind of an evolving build.

8. Apr 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    That makes more sense then, I understand evolving, there is rarely a permanent mod on TW lol

9. Apr 14, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Thanks for hitting me up! Looks like someone else scrolls through whatever unread threads there are just to get something interesting to look at lol

Products Discussed in

To Top