1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Spring & Tailgate TSB Quick Reference

Discussion in 'New Members' started by tcBob, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Jun 22, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Jolost

Jolost New Member

Member:
    Houghton MI
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 4X4
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if I am over the 36,000 Mile threshold? My Tacoma is very spungy too and bottoms easily. I did put on helper springs on both sides and that has help greatly. I am going to be pulling a 23 foot ultra lite travel trailer weighing in at 4100 dry when I pick it up several hundred miles away in a week.

Thanks

2. Jul 18, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    weaselson

weaselson Member

Member:
    winchester,ky
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab SR5 Sport
    HIDS,FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES
    Just called my dealer about tsb.said I wasn't eligible because I have 39,000 miles,but I have the platinum warrenty I'm covered.Taking it in monday to get the ball rolling! This web site is great!!! I never would have known.Thank you guys.

3. Sep 18, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    FoxDen

FoxDen New Member

Member:
    I recently came across all the information about the harsh ride TSB and had thought prior to knowing about it that it was "just how the suspension was". I now know that is not the case and am scheduled to have it done this next wednesday at Billions in Sioux Falls, SD. I called down to the dealership and spoke with the same service advisor that had my truck in two weeks ago to fix the squeaky leaf springs. I dropped my truck off that night and the next morning they brought it in to look at it and called me at 830 am to tell me that they would be able to complete it and wanted to make sure I knew that suspension would be a bit stiffer. I took it in with 35099 miles and picked it up with 35099 miles. They took my word on it. Thank you guys, can't tell you how happy I am about it.

4. Sep 18, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    FoxDen

FoxDen New Member

Member:
    Also, I put on quite a few miles a month so had I waited another month and a few days I would be out of warranty.

5. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    Hey as an FYI

My 2010 DC TRD Sport........still has the same part number rear spring sets that they say needs replacing under the TSB

48220-04190 & 48210-04550 :)

6. Oct 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    lowcountry

lowcountry Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Savannah Ga
    Vehicle:
    06 DoubleCab Off-Road Indigo
    Leaf Spring TSB,Bilstein 5100@1.75,BFG/AT 265/75/16,Trimmed Flaps,Secondary Filter Removed,Foglight Anytime,Tint
    I bought my 06 a couple months ago with 31000 on the odo. and after reading all about the tsb's I prepared myself to approach my local Toyota dealer to get the rear spring tsb done. I printed the tsb out and called the service manager and she told me that they had not done one before and she was unfamiliar with the tsb but to bring the truck by and they would have a look at it. The next day I dropped it off and caught a ride to work and a couple hours later another guy at the dealership calls and tells me that they see nothing wrong with the truck. I explained the tsb once again and explained how I had just put three 50 lb. bags of corn in the truck that weekend before and how bad the truck had sagged and how the truck looked a little lower in the rear even unloaded and how I tow a boat from time to time. He said he would check the tsb list and call me back, and a little while later he called and said the parts were ordered! The very next day the parts came in, I took my truck back over there and 4 hrs. later it was ready! The difference in the look and feel of the truck is night and day, the ride is firmer but it feels awesome and more like the way a truck should feel and the rear is a little higher but is really only noticeable when looking back through the side mirrors and the bed is slightly angled instead of flat. Passing Tacos on the road it seems I can almost pick out the trucks that have the three spring setup! Definitely recommend taking advantage of the tsb even if you never plan on loading your truck. Now I plan on getting the tailgate tsb done next. I guess all in all it does depend on your dealer but if you press them and be firm but polite really they can't tell you no-it's your truck and you have to live with it and pay for it. Shout out to Franklin Toyota in Statesboro Ga.-nice folks and easy to work with.

7. Oct 4, 2009 at 5:10 AM
    Taco Ron

Taco Ron Male Member

Member:
    I have a 2006 with 34k miles. Would I qualify for the rear leaf tsb? I am the second owner. Does that matter?

EDIT: Just read the last post, duh, and looks like I would be okay. I'm gonna call them tomorrow.

8. Oct 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    You're good-possibly. Depending on when your truck was originally purchased (1/1/06 for example), you could already be out of the 3 year part of the 3 year/36k warranty. The dealership can confirm this for you. GL!

9. Oct 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    regcabtaco

regcabtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    idaho
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma sr5
    I bought a used tacoma regular cab 4x4 a few weeks ago and i bought a extended warrenty and i was wondering if i would be able to get this done on mine

10. Dec 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    cdon38

cdon38 Member

Member:
    texas
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma sr5 prerunner trd
    Got my springs done today, they said it may have a rough ride, I didn't feel it. It does sit about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch higher.

11. Dec 20, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    IlovethePinkTacos

IlovethePinkTacos Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's all around Self Engineered CAI Supercharger -I wish Ranch Sierra shell, USTOYO-IPOD Front grill mod w/blue neon tube under ...just your minor mods TSB for rear - planned 12/09
    Probably one of the most useful threads at TacomaWorld. Thanks guys:D

Will be posting the result of taking the Taco to the dealership to get the TSB spring Fuk'up (i.e., underengineered) taken care of.

I no longer will have to hear crap from my buddies and their comments about my low riding TRD-OR when I have my bike, sled, atv in the back of my pickup.

Now if I can only get the tailgate TSB without having to bend mine. So far mine hasnt bent at all and i have rolled up a crotchrocket, a Yamaha raptor and my polaris sled and no damage to date.

Any specific area where the weakness is at in the tailgate? Inquiring minds wanna know???

Thanks again gents!

12. Jan 1, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    IlovethePinkTacos

IlovethePinkTacos Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's all around Self Engineered CAI Supercharger -I wish Ranch Sierra shell, USTOYO-IPOD Front grill mod w/blue neon tube under ...just your minor mods TSB for rear - planned 12/09
    Just got the rear TSB done on my '07 TRD-DC/OR. I highly encourage EVERYONE to get this done ASAP. I am a professional safety engineer and my opinion of the rear TSB it's something that should be a recall, as it corrects the dangerous rear end handling characteristics while under load. Get this TSB done, and get it done NOW!!! That being said shame on Toyota for this gross negligence!!! More to come including pics comparing before vs after.......

Ilovethepinktacos

13. Jan 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    IlovethePinkTacos

IlovethePinkTacos Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Check to see if ur 2010 has a 3 pack rear leafs or 4 pack.....the 4 pack being the TSB update. Atleast that's with my TRD.....

14. Jan 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    IlovethePinkTacos

IlovethePinkTacos Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Just an FYI... I gained 1.25 inches of lift in the rear with the TSB leafs.

15. Jan 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    IlovethePinkTacos

IlovethePinkTacos Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Dealers are shady....It would cost them $$$.....why would they tell u.......like I said SHADY

16. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    Spitfire12

Spitfire12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I called my toyota dealer, About rear leaf springs, they not do it to replace, so i have looking another around, But I wondering do you know how much cost $$ around plus labour? let me know thanks

17. Mar 14, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you
    I have a 2009, TRD, 4X4, ACCESS CAB. I just found out about the rear spring issue. Factory leaf pack is either a 2 or a 3 leaf pack...; 2 leaves smile up, and one smiles down. I have aready added an ADD-A-LEAF; so now I have 3 that smile up and one that smiles down.

So my questions are this:
    1) From what info I have given, does it sound like my truck/leaf pack is one of the ones that needs to be replaced?
    2) The new leaf pack should have how many leaves smiling up?
    3) Does me adding an ADD-A-LEAF void the new leaf pack from being added?

18. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    dre22

dre22 Member

Member:
    White Plains NY
    ARB Bumper Supertop Bestop AUX. Lights
    Whats good ?
    I have 09 v6 Tacoma 6 speed 4x4 non-TRD, i got a ready lift in the truck. I'm think the dealer will say no the suspension fix.
    Should I take off or take it as is?

19. Mar 23, 2010 at 2:00 AM
    Loiman20

Loiman20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    double cab long bed
    BFG All Terrains 265/75/16 bull bar guard nerf bars 2 inch leveling kit grillcraft sport grill "toyota" emblem
    hey guys im interested in the rear tsb, but i have a 2 inch leveling kit in the front. Do you think this will effect if they will tsb my truck or not?

20. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    just loaded up my 725 pound harley (920 with me sitting on it haha) and it bent my tailgate....

i printed the TSB pdf on this page, and going to take it to my dealer tomorrow....

07 with less than 20k miles....

will let you guys know what happens....

THANKS FOR THIS PDF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top