1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear suspension TSB not necessarily required on '08s

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by klown, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jun 5, 2008 at 9:23 AM
    klown

klown [OP] Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Well,
    I just filled my truck bed up with dirt. Those that live in VA know this is not regular dirt, but more like clay. Anyways, I have no bottoming out issues and it still drives like a charm. I need to step on the brake a little bit harder to stop, but that's physics at work. Anyways, the different PN for the rear springs seems to have made a difference. I don't know how much weight is back there, but friggin red clay is pretty dense and the bed is packed full of it. Just thought you guys would like to know.

2. Jun 5, 2008 at 3:23 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    I have had my 08 with about 400#'s in it and as you say I can feel the power loss and it takes a bit more braking but I did not notice any bottoming out or even a backwards rake to the truck.

Seems some 08's have the bad ones and some 08's have those that are OK. It's really a crap shoot whether you get OK ones or bad ones. I think Toyota's spring vendor has some quality control issues.

3. Jun 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Timmer- Where is that list of numbers for the possible "bad" springs??

4. Jun 5, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    My 08 had the letters ++CHI-48210-04550-F-RH and ++CHI-48220-04190-F-LH (old parts) on the original three leaf total rear springs. I was thinking F for new firmer ++ springs as well. Not so. I have a Jan. 08 built truck and 3 leafs at that time still meant not right in my book and apparently with the dealer as well or they wouldn't have done the TSB.

The 3 leafs were replaced with the four leaf total rear springs. I never hauled anything heavy with the original 3 leafs. I just got the TSB done before I actually would be towing and hauling with the truck. I think the truck rides better with the TSB springs. I haven't seen addition of the 08's to the TSB yet. Nor anything in writing that heavy duty 3 leafs were implemented into production to do what 4 leafs will.

5. Jun 5, 2008 at 4:03 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...I talked to the dealer near here and they looked at the TSB and told me that it didn't apply to the '08's. They won't even talk to me about it until I have a problem at this point- but it's cause the stealerships service guy was a moron so I was a jerk in return.

I've gotta look at my springs and see what I can find- Cause I have the three pack in a Feb '08 built truck. My bike is going into the truck tmrw...so we'll see.

Thanks for the numbers.

6. Jun 5, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    my 08 is fine as well with weight in the bed.

7. Jun 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Noticed all of you have DC's as well. Klown you mention different PN on the rear. Your #'s are different than 48210-04550-RH and 48220-04190-LH?

Just curious if all still have the 3 leaf total rear springs? Would also like to know build dates as well?

Thanks in advance

8. Jun 5, 2008 at 7:25 PM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    I have a build date of 4-08 on mine and the 3 leaf springs marked CHI ++ I'm still gonna load it up and see what happens.

9. Jun 5, 2008 at 7:33 PM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Should have pasted from the post above. Mine were ++CHI-48210-04550-F-RH and ++CHI-48220-04190-F-LH (old parts).

From what I've read elsewhere is that same part numbers is same parts period. The other markings are dates and plants where built, ect.

10. Jun 5, 2008 at 9:02 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    I looked at 08's at the dealership yesterday. They are the same 3-leaf pack.

I got the TSB and put a rear sway bar on my 07. Very happy with the results :D

11. Jun 6, 2008 at 5:11 AM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I don't know the PN right off, I thought my PN had an "F" at the end. I'll have to double check. Yeah, this is still a 3 leaf set up. My build date was Jan 27, 2008.

12. Jun 6, 2008 at 5:15 AM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    As somebody already stated in this thread. I think all the PN's are the same, the other #'s may be lot #'s or date codes or place of manufacture. It seems like it's a quality control issue. Some springs are shit, while others are DA BOMB! I'm getting more dirt today, Yesterday I got one scoop of dirt and it filled it up really well. I'm gonna push the envelope a little and get 1.5 scoops. I'd say it's about 1200 lbs of dirt. I might chicken out at the last minute, but I'll keep you guys updated.

13. Jun 6, 2008 at 5:16 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    My truck bottomed out with myself and 3 other pasengers in the truck so I had toyota replace the leaf springs. It also almost bottomed out with a light load in the bed 300 to 500 pounds.

14. Jun 6, 2008 at 9:20 AM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well I just went and got 1.5 scoops of dirt in the bed. It's 50% more then I did before. Sure enough, no bottoming out issues yet. There are some railroad tracks on the way to work that I ran over, didn't bottom out on them. We'll see how the drive home goes. So far I'm impressed with the stock leaf spring setup.

15. Jun 6, 2008 at 1:51 PM
    braaap

braaap "bangin"

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma pre-runner sr5 sport packa
    3" TOYTEC SPACER, REAR LEAF PACK TSB, PAINTED BLACK SPORT RIMS, JARDINE CATBACK, BRAAAP STICKER ON BACK WINDOW (BEST MOD SO MANY COMMENTS)
    It Seems That The "off Road" Modles In 08 Came Equipt With The Correct Leafs. My 08 Sport Just Got The Up Date And Needed It. Bottomed Out Owith One Bike In The Back Over A Speed Bump.

16. Jun 7, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    I don't have the off road verson, I got the trd sport. I have no issues yet.

17. Jun 7, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    I would like to have it done just in case..I don't want to have to fix a problem, I prefer preventative measures... Of course I called the dealership service dept last week and left a msg, no returned call!

The part ##'s on the 07 & 08 are the same, If the 07 was not "to par" one would think the same part on the 08 would also be substandard also.IMO

I took have pics of mine in my photo's to show part ##s

18. Jun 7, 2008 at 8:25 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I agree :)
    Not nesaserily. They may have the same part numbers, but they may have changed how/where they are manufatured, thus fixing the problem. :)

19. Jun 7, 2008 at 8:37 PM
    klown

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure if I want it done unless it's NEEDED. I like the stance of the truck as it is, with the TSB the ass end comes up, I'm not a big fan of that look. Of course if I find it's needed to haul stuff in the bed, then I'd get it done. So far, every indication I'm getting is it's not needed on MY particular truck.

20. Jun 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM
    Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner
    I bought an '08 DC TRD Sport with the tow package last weekend and hooked up my 3500 pound Winnebago and it didn't sag at all.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top