1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Sway Bar --add-on questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mbrogz3000, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    I read through the handful of threads on adding on the Helwig and Addco sway bars, and would appreciate some more detail from those of you who have installed either option. Sounds like either bar will increase on road handling feel, and for those times when I want to go off-road, I would just remove the bar (or endlinks).

I understand that the Addco requires drilling into the frame. Is there enough access on the opposite side of the drill hole to slide behind a box wrench for holding the nut while you torque the endlink?

Also regarding the helwig, does this require any type of drilling to the frame or does it strictly use hardware clamps and brackets for mounting the endlink to frame/body?

If either option requires drilling, do the instructions provide measurements on where to drill? Just trying to get a better idea before I plop the money down on, especially on a mod like this..:)

2. Apr 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  3. Apr 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I went addco.

Yes there is room to wrench on the endlink, tacoma has a c-channel frame that likes to rust still.

You install sway bar on axle first with and then hold up the endlink at 90* to swaybar to find location where you need to drill hole into frame. Frame is super soft and drills easily.

Hellwig is a clamp design.

Addco is a tight fit but does the job.

Either will work and get the job done just depends on cost and install factor.

Addco was pretty quick and did it outside in Chicago winter weather.

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    ^^^this. I went Hellwig and it's a great street handling upgrade.

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Thanks for the quick replies! Thats exactly what I was looking for: I figured the addco directions went something like bolt the sway on, and where-ever the endlinks line up to frame then thats where to drill. I'm very handy and drilling doesn't bother me, but I am worried about long term rusting (although I would spray a coat of undercoating immediately after drilling).

I found the Hellwig directions on last night and may go that route since I found a good price for it.

6. Apr 19, 2012 at 4:37 AM
    fletch aka

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Any of you guys that installed the rear sway bar, was the ride any stiffer, was there any improvement on the axel wrap the Tacoma's are famous for? Who did you guys order from?

7. Apr 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I ordered my Hellwig from Suspension Connection. No difference in ride that I can tell. Axle wrap? I have no idea what that is, but I'll check it out.

8. Apr 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Only downside is trying to flex the rear out when off roading. On road it is better in cornering or for hauling loads.

Does not help axle wrap in anyway. Does not stiffen spring rate, not possible.

9. Apr 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    fletch aka

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    My thought was it might work like a traction bar.

10. Apr 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hellwig. Huge improvement in going around corners.

11. Aug 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    StanBo

StanBo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB - 98 XJ 93 RX7
    Have you guys also gotten the TSB leafs installed? I haven't ran into any axle wrap issues but I also drive like a granny. I do love carrying speed into turns.

Products Discussed in

To Top