1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear turn signals stopped functioning

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by FWS02, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    FWS02

FWS02 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm brand new to the forums, so please forgive me if this should have been posted elsewhere or has been solved/disected in a previous thread.

I just purchased a 2002 Tacoma last week. I haven't really had the chance to let the girl stretch her legs yet, but so far I just love the truck... I'm just hoping she's not hinting at the way things are gonna be between us with todays development. I took my new Taco down to the store for some dinner tonight and noticed - out of the blue - that I was getting the tell-tale fast-blinking turn signal indicators on the dash. 1st thought of course: bad bulb. That is, until I see this is happening on both sides. I parked the truck, checked the front signals on both sides, and they work fine. I also checked the fuse and found it to be intact. I've yet to yank the bulbs yet. I suppose it's POSSIBLE that both bulbs died at the same time, but i find it somewhat unlikely.

Added info: There was a fiberglass cap on the truck which I've removed. The turn signals HAVE worked since I removed the cap, but there are loose wires along the left side of the bed, where the brake light on the cap SHOOULD have been hooked up. I'm not sure it was ever done right or completed. There are two loose black wires and one loose red wire. In any case, what should I look for? What are the likely causes for this? I really appreciate any help you can offer!

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    So all 4 bulbs on all 4 corners are blinking fast, front and rear?

3. Jun 28, 2012 at 5:49 AM
    FWS02

FWS02 [OP] New Member

Member:
    No... as I mentioned in the post title, neither of the rear turn signal flashers are functioining. The front ones are BOTH working. My guess is that it's some sort of wiring issue, but I'm not sure where these wires run and/or where the most sensible place to start my troubleshooting is. Thanks for the reply

4. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Check your bulbs.

5. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    FWS02

FWS02 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alright, I guess I'll do that next. It just seemed like the odds of them both going out at the EXACT same time seemed slim, but I'll take a look.

Any additional insights you guys can provide are appreciated.

6. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Check every fuse in the truck both under dash and in engine compartment. They do some crazy shit with assigning fuses, you'll be surprised. good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top