1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear vibration update

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoCats, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jul 23, 2016 at 12:41 PM
    TacoCats

TacoCats [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road
    How is everyone doing? I finally bought an 07 Tacoma off-road rear locker, it had 92,000 miles on it when I purchased it five months ago .I really like it a lot . The previous owner took really good care of it.I put some nice beefy Michelin tires recently on it,however,I have one issue with it though.Im getting somewhat of a vibration at about 25 miles an hour on accelerating then it smoothes out once I get over 30 and it drives quite well after that. I went underneath and gave the driveshaft a good shake but it's tight as a banjo, had my wife Rev up the engine but didn't notice any motor mount problems. It does have one open recall on it for the leaf springs but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.so far I have loaded my kayak in the back of it and it really tows it quite well.anyway, nice to be on this forum with other taco members, drop me a post and tell me what you think, thanks so much !!

Update:Took the tacoma back to Disccount tire twice,they calibrated the balancer, lug balanced it, sales manager and I took it for a spin,he noticed the vibration as well but swears up and down it's not the tires but something else,then he says it could be the ABS,Shoes rubbing against the drum,bent rim (I disagree on that).I have a video clip of it but don't know how to attach it on here so you all can see and hear for yourself..that's about it,back to square one.

2. Jul 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    How confident are you that it's rear end?

Front end? Needle Bearing in the front diff perhaps? That causes a grinding or vibration up front from 25-40mph. There's an official TSB from Toyota to repair it.

3. Jul 23, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    TacoCats

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road
    I am quite certain it's from the rear,it's very noticeable,thanks for your reply

4. Jul 23, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    A rear vibration during acceleration sounds most likely to be drive line related.

Your truck doesn't appear lifted at all. But sometimes lifting can change the angles on the drive shafts which can cause vibrations.

5. Jul 23, 2016 at 3:32 PM
    TacoCats

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road
    Yeah,its stock ,not a 4whl,but a rear locker,went underneath and gave gave both shafts a really good shake but everything is nice and tight under there,so I'm scratching my head what it could be

6. Jul 24, 2016 at 8:11 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    You should remove the driveshaft and check each U joint for binding and roughness. Shaking the driveshaft sometime will not show a U joint problem.

7. Jul 24, 2016 at 8:14 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The 2wd doesn't have grease zerks on the drive shaft, right?

^this

If you have an 07 that has never had the drive line serviced, it's probably time.

Products Discussed in

To Top