1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear wheel hop

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by rmerchant3, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    rmerchant3

rmerchant3 [OP] Insert nonsense here

Member:
    So I took my new to me 06 out today in some soft sand. When in two wheel drive at a crawl she does fine. But, if the sand gets too soft and the tires start spinning the WHOLE truck shakes violently and you can actually watch the manual shifter jerk back and forth. From what I have gathered there was a TSB for the leaf springs. Is this what is causing my issue? It feels like the damn rear axle is about to rip out.

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have actually experienced this. But only in loose sand. Never anywheres else. I also have lift blocks in the rear so I blamed them. Its also like you said only when traction is getting lost. Glad to have 4H

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    rmerchant3

Member:
    Manual or auto for you?

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Happens in alot of trucks. A Traction bar, or similar device can help to reduce/eliminate it. Otherwise, its not a big deal. If you keep the hammer down when that happens, you could have an issue.

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    rmerchant3

Member:
    Makes sense. So I am assuming that a truck with independent suspension in the rear would not suffer from this as much. But of course leafs are better for hauling.

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have an auto.

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Try turning off the electronic traction control if you're looking to spin the back wheels (usually requires holding down the VSC button for a few seconds and won't reset until you turn the engine off and restart).

The truck going nuts may have been the computer trying to get the rears to catch and stop spinning faster than the fronts. Not sure how the Toyota software works, but in other cars with similar systems it can be manipulating/overriding many systems including spark timing, AFR, and brakes; the TC program in my RX8 nearly rocked the car out of the dyno rollers at the smog shop before I remembered to tell the tester how to deactivate it.

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    rmerchant3

Member:
    I don't even have VSC

9. Mar 17, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Neither me. I think its just the way it works out on our trucks. I have never experienced it anywheres else. Mud or rocks, wet road, cement, even doing burnouts I haven't recreated the hop. I just chalk it up to the right set of circumstances.

10. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    rmerchant3

Member:
    ^^^ I agree. I had a Dodge Dakota before this truck and it did it slightly, but not as violent as the Taco. I am adding that to the fact that the Taco is lighter in the rear and the suspension differences. That dodge was a beast and could just power through the hop with the power it made (v8). But all in all it still can't beat the new truck :)

Products Discussed in

To Top