1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rebolt/Re-enforce Mudflaps

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Drunknsloth, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dec 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth [OP] Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I don't have any pictures yet (been to lazy) but I'll post them when I take them. Hopefully tomorrow.

Items needed:
    -Flat head screw-driver
    -Three screws/bolts (recommended 1/4" thick 1" long) (I used a 3/4" long one and I didn't have room for a locking washer on one of the screws)
    -Three nuts (1/4")
    -Six washers (1/4" hole) (optional locking washers)
    -Two wrenches that fit the screw/bolt, and nuts you bought
    -Plasti-Dip or black spraypaint to cover the silver of the screw/bolt and washers.

Steps: (If mud-flap is still attached) (Start on step 5 if mud flap was already off)
    1) Use a flat head screw-driver to pry up the clips. Be careful to get between the part that comes up and the plastic piece holding the clip in the hole.
    2) Pull the clips out
    3) Unscrew the screws on the mudflaps
    4) Remove the mudflap
    5) Crawl under the truck where the mudflap was and find where the original screws were screwed in.
    6)There should be a small plastic piece the pokes out. On that small plastic piece there are two small parts on either side that are slightly bent out to hold the piece there. Push these parts inwards and while pushing the piece outwards (Mine were a little hard to push inwards so I used the open part of my wrench to help me have more surface area to push on).
    7) A flat head screwdriver also helps to pry it out. On the side of the wheel-well that is facing the wheel there is something similar to a washer around the hole that the screws went in. This is connected to the piece that you are trying to push inwards so using a flat head screw driver helps to pop it out.
    8) There is a piece that is behind the fender in the wheel-well that is where one of the screws went. Follow the directions above but also bend the fender out enough for you to use a flat head to pop it out.
    9) Now if you look where the original screws were put in there should be just holes. You can now use the screw/bolt, washers, and nuts to replace the mudflap. I put washers on both sides and used one wrench to hold the nut in place while using the other to screw the screw/bolt in.
    10) Replace the clips. Make sure that the top part is pulled fully out or it won't fit through the holes.
    11) Spray the places that are shiny with plasti-dip or black matte spray paint for a low key look.

If one of your mudflaps already broke then just find the strongest glue you have and glue a 1/4" washer around it on the side that the screw/bolt is going to be on so there won't be spacing between the mudflap and the wheel-well

PICTURES!
    Steps 1-4
    IMG_2794arrows_e08793ecff005c55d23e07cf71f05162572dfa7b.jpg
    IMG_2801arrows_a6e1f2a28cc030fe8269414761a4bf2852373d13.jpg
    Step 5
    IMG_2797arrows_a9e84dc44fc208ee2811800a18952f6dac427de7.jpg
    Step 6-8
    IMG_2800arrows_578ba291fdc15c79aa03352ea604a37771a4a399.jpg
    Step 9
    IMG_2791arrows_02ddfa083293dfb50a14d3a8709a5f8754943da5.jpg
    Step 10
    IMG_2801arrows_a6e1f2a28cc030fe8269414761a4bf2852373d13.jpg
    Step 11
    IMG_2788_1416acc597b1e42c9ad2b45615984890e36412a7.jpg

2. Dec 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    PICTURES ON!!! :cool:

3. Dec 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    tracker

tracker Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 doublecab long box
    Thanks, got to replace mine when the snow is gone.

4. Jan 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Hmm... Bored Bump

5. Jan 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    good idea man. I just finished trimming mine the other day and was thinking today about how to re-install them since most of my plastic pieces broke when I removed them. I was wondering about large diameter screws, but hadnt thought of just bolting where the plastic clips were in addition to the regular screws. (I see that isnt exactly what you did, but I thank you for the suggestion)

6. Jan 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I couldn't get to where the plastic clips were from the wheel well so I just gave up on them. I broke most of mine too...

7. Feb 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed

Products Discussed in

To Top