1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rebuild replace? best option for rear diff.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Quadrcr161, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    Quadrcr161

Quadrcr161 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Wetumpka Al
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma
    99 ext cab, v6, 4x4, 2400,000 miles.

when i got the truck i noticed it has a clunking in the rear, thinking it was just a dry/bad ujoint i went ahead and got the truck. as i was fixing issues changing fluid i got to the rear diff which was full of a water/oil mix. noone told this guy he needed to change the fluids out every so often so when i drained the fluid it was full of fine metal shavings. i know there is slack/clearance in the gearset and its in pretty bad shape. now my option is to rebuild/replace. i have the tools and ability to rebuild the gearset if i can find a kit. i am pretty new to 4x4's and good parts sites. if i can find a good 3rd to drop in i would also do that but i havent found any yet.

using this site, http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Gear_Codes it looks like i should have a B06A, 8 inch ring, 3.91 ratio and 2 pinion open if im reading it right. i wouldnt mind upgrading if possible if it didnt cost an arm and a leg. just looking for opinions and different options. TIA

Products Discussed in

To Top