1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recalibrating VSC, why & how?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jrobson, May 13, 2010.

1. Apr 15, 2016 at 10:15 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    leather, T.C. 6", King coilovers, TC uca's, Alcan, amp, Pro comp, bushwaker, bamf, magnaflow, afe.
    I will try another dealership next week now that I know of this. Surprised that Firestone who did my alignment doesn't have this knowledge or capability. There is a very respected alignment shop near me. I wonder if they would be able to do this. Although disabling by holding the button seems to work for now, would be nice if it worked properly.

2. Apr 15, 2016 at 10:17 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  3. Apr 15, 2016 at 10:19 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    leather, T.C. 6", King coilovers, TC uca's, Alcan, amp, Pro comp, bushwaker, bamf, magnaflow, afe.
    For what it's worth, doesn't seem as sensitive after I put the 1 1/4 spacers on which widened the stance a bit.

4. Apr 15, 2016 at 10:22 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    Thanks, I will check it out. I agree and sounds like the service guy at the dealership knew of it. You would think he could have checked into it for me!!!

5. Apr 16, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
  6. Apr 16, 2016 at 4:54 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    And as far as recalibrating, I did some Foot work today and got some good news in the end. Stopped at a different Toyota dealer this morning talked directly with a mechanic he said yes he can recalibrate the 16 for me for $130, he thought that it probably would help, also that I might need shims under my leaf pack to get rid of slight vibration at 15 to 20 mph! Then I stopped at the Firestone they said they cannot do it. Then I called another dealership where I bought my 2011 Tacoma from and talked to a mechanic there, he said they would do it for $59.95, so I made an appointment for Tuesday aftenoon.

7. Apr 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Good luck

8. Apr 16, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    Thanks! It does work by just turning off the VSC, by holding it for about 5 seconds but have to do it every time I start the vehicl,. and I know it isn't right so that bothers me. Hopefully this reset will take care of it. Worth a shot for 60 bucks I guess!

9. Apr 16, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yeah , I know , I do that every time I start my truck .

Just sayin good luck because it doesn't always work , hopefully it does for you

10. Apr 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    I'm just happy I know why it is making that noise now. Haven't heard anybody else talk about that and I kept thinking I was rubbing on my body mount although it didn't look like I was. Have you done it on the 16? The mechanic I talk to said turning it off overhead only will work up to 15 miles per hour, don't know if that is true but usually ain't going faster than that when I take a sharp turn anyways.

11. Apr 16, 2016 at 5:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    No , I have an 09 , so the VSC set ups might be different , but on the 2nd gens , a push of the button and it will come back on at 30mph , the push and hold turns it " off " at all speeds

12. Apr 16, 2016 at 5:27 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    I believe push and hold on the 16 also keeps it off at all speeds because it stays on when I'm driving at any speed because the lights on the dash are on so it is still off. So I believe the guy I talked to was wrong on that. The mechanic I talk to in person this morning that wanted $130 said sometimes it takes him a couple tries so that's why they charge that much. He also thought if I was going to get an after-market recalibration unit for my speedometer I should probably do that first because it might affect what he was going to do. But when I talked to the mechanic at the other dealership he said it's two totally different things and didn't think it would affect it at all. Told me I could recalibrate my speedometer later and shouldn't be a problem.

13. Apr 16, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yeah , pretty sure those recalibration systems don't effect the other but I'm not positive on that one

14. Apr 16, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    Hypertech has a recalibration out for the 16 for 230 bucks but all it does is recalibrate speedometer for tire size and gear size. For a little extra money I'm going to wait and see if they come out with the same one but also does performance tweaking. In fact I'll probably call them directly on Monday to see if they have anything in the works.

15. Jun 30, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    Krusetj

Krusetj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ogden Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2010 silver Tacoma TRD sport
    toytec boss coil overs, LR upper control arms, Icon aal , rear shocks, spidertrac 1.25" spacers, 285 70R17 cooper ats3 on 17x9 rims, ditch light brackets, with Black oak pods, Weston bumper/grill guard and 20" blackoak led light bar. Front differential drop kit.
    Stupid Question what is VSC?

16. Jun 30, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    BKinzey

BKinzey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauford
    Hollywierd, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    RCI aluminum front skid, SnugTop, Sliders, bedside supports, LED interior, CaliRaised fogs & brackets, rear diff breather mod, DIY bed platform
    post #34 in the thread.

17. Jun 30, 2016 at 6:50 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Stabilty Control

18. Jul 2, 2016 at 6:33 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    Hey guys, don't remember if I updated on another thread, but I had the speedo calibrator installed so speedometer and odometer should be correct now. It did not however do anything for the VSC issue. Oh well.

19. Jul 3, 2016 at 7:28 AM
    bigl110

bigl110 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Laurence
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb sr Barcelona red 4x4
    I have a few dealerships in my area of va that tried to charge up to $150 to calibrate the vsc. Thanks to @YotaMatt I have a trusted Toyota dealer in Williamsburg and my tech never charged me for calibration. I had it done after swapping lift coils and again after adding spacers, the vsc and brake lights actually came on after that install. All in all Toyota shouldn't charge for this calibration at all. He'll half of the service desk folk didn't know what the hell I was talking about. But ofcourse my alignment guy did and took care of me.

20. Jul 5, 2016 at 6:33 AM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    Is your VSC still sensitive? I had a dealership recal mine, was going to be $60, but it didn't work so he didn't charge me. Mine isn't on but goes on fairly easy in a sharp turn . It's basically overly sensitive since lifting.

Products Discussed in

To Top