1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recent Jasper Install

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by niit_train, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Feb 14, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    niit_train

niit_train [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully
    A little more than 2000 miles ago, my engine went out at 126k on my 2006 Dbl cab 4.0L. I ordered a Jasper replacement at $3,800 for the engine alone. I have over $6k invested in the replacement. I am getting TERRIBLE gas mileage now. None of t he fuel system was replaced and prior to the new engine, I was getting 16mpg. I am now getting 11.5mpg which is terrible mileage considering I do not have a lift or oversize tires. Stock size tires and stock shocks, etc. any help or advice is appreciated as I need to resolve this or the truck will be heading down the road in trade for a full size that gets better mileage.

2. Feb 14, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
    Did you break the new engine in? Need to seat the rings. Just a possibility

3. Feb 15, 2020 at 7:24 AM
    niit_train

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully

The install was done by a Jasper dealer, and the only thing he told me needed done was to change the initial oil at 500 miles, which I did. Is there something else I need to do?

4. Feb 15, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
    You should read up on how to break in a engine. Everyone might have their own recipe, but basically you need to seat the rings asap.

You need to get the engine up to operating temp and go find a road with no one around. Romp on it in 2nd and 3rd and take the rpms fairly high (dont red line it) then leave it in gear and take you foot off the gas and let the gear slow you down. This will suck the rings against the cylinder wall and will "file" some of the cross hatch down, seating the rings. Then repeat. That is why you do the early oil change, since there will be very tiny iron particles in your oil.
    Not saying this is your issue, just something that a fresh engine needs if they didn't already do it for you.

niit_train[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 16, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Have any check engine lights?

Does it idle smoothly?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Have you checked over their work?

6. Feb 16, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    How does a 1GR crap out at 126K?

7. Feb 17, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    niit_train

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab

No check engine light. It has a slight roughness at idle that you can barely feel in the steering wheel. I will try to search for a vacuum leak this evening. As far as checking their work, I have glanced at it and nothing sticks out to me.

8. Feb 17, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    niit_train

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab

I bought it used and have changed the oil but apparently the owner before me must not have maintained it the greatest. Plus, I only commute 4 miles to work one way and that isn’t the greatest for any engine. I’ve owned it for 7 years probably so the mileage is something completely new since the engine swap.

9. Feb 17, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc

Aha. That makes sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top