1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommendation for Air Compressor When on the Trail

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JandAOffRoad, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Jul 29, 2018 at 10:48 PM
    JandAOffRoad

JandAOffRoad [OP] Nothing To Report Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road, Cement. Name is "Jenna"
    Tinted Windows BFG KO2s (285/70R17) (graphite with matte black studs). New Tires! Only 5,000 miles on them. 17" Fuel Anza Wheels (Gun Metal and Black) Removed chrome badges and replaced with black matte badges EyeCatcher TACOMA accessory lettering on tailgate Snugtop Rebel shell with windoors and LED lighting package C4Fab full guard front bumper C4Fab low profile rear bumper 20" CaliRaised LED Light bar in bumper Baja Design Amber fog lights Front Runner Slimline II rack on shell Front Runner 1.4mm awning on passenger side Smittybilt onboard air compressor in cargo box in bed of truck (Expedition Accessories) Misc. storage dividers in glovebox and center console CaliRaised LED ditch lights CaliRaised LED 20W rear pod lights Molle system in bed of truck 2" lift with rebuilt leaf springs (added a leaf) and went with the Bilstein shocks
    Looking for suggestions/recommendations for air compressor to keep in my truck.

1. Portable
    2. Tank
    3. Installed in the engine compartment ( My buddy has one of these in his Tacoma Pro, single cylinder)

I have a 2018 Tacoma 4x4 OR...

I've done some research regarding pros and cons for all three above, and pricing is obviously all over the board. My first thought was the tank option due to speed of airing up. Down side is once it's empty, it's empty and if I'm on a longer trek with the potential of several air up/air down scenarios, possible that I run out. Research I've done says the tanks are good for about 30 air ups.

Second thought was a two cylinder install in the engine area, again for quicker air ups.

Thoughts and thank you!

2. Jul 30, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    Armed in Utah

Armed in Utah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah's High Desert.......
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus LX 470
    Vair 300P

$115 or so

money well spent

JandAOffRoad[OP] and gunn_runner like this.
  3. Jul 30, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Smittybilt sells a decent one

4. Jul 30, 2018 at 8:30 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I assume you mean something like the CO2 power tank... Then Yea that's not an air compressor option.. Because an air compressor and reservoir tank can be refilled.

What are you really asking for?

5. Jul 30, 2018 at 11:10 AM
    JandAOffRoad

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tinted Windows BFG KO2s (285/70R17) (graphite with matte black studs). New Tires! Only 5,000 miles on them. 17" Fuel Anza Wheels (Gun Metal and Black) Removed chrome badges and replaced with black matte badges EyeCatcher TACOMA accessory lettering on tailgate Snugtop Rebel shell with windoors and LED lighting package C4Fab full guard front bumper C4Fab low profile rear bumper 20" CaliRaised LED Light bar in bumper Baja Design Amber fog lights Front Runner Slimline II rack on shell Front Runner 1.4mm awning on passenger side Smittybilt onboard air compressor in cargo box in bed of truck (Expedition Accessories) Misc. storage dividers in glovebox and center console CaliRaised LED ditch lights CaliRaised LED 20W rear pod lights Molle system in bed of truck 2" lift with rebuilt leaf springs (added a leaf) and went with the Bilstein shocks
    Okay and sorry for any confusion.

Looking for best option for airing up after a trail ride. I've seen a combination of small single cylinder portables (0-30 PSI takes about 3 min/tire), to two cylinder portables (faster fill) to same type of compressors, but mounted in the engine compartment.

The tank style I was referring to was a Smittybilt for about $318 (Power Air Tank (Co2)..4x4 Auto Parts said it was the fastest option to airing up a tire from 0-30 PSI in about 1 min or less. Said it needed to be refilled once empty by any welding shop for about $10 a fill and each tank was good for about 30 fills.

Thanks again.

6. Jul 30, 2018 at 11:16 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    The smittybilt 2780 is portable, but I have it hard mounted under my hood and takes about 3 mins/tire (255/85/16) from 18 to 40psi. You don't really need speed when airing up tires. I like a compressor because you always have air, no forgetting its empty and forgetting to go get it filled.

Single piston compressors, like the smittybilt/arb/viair/etc do just fine, again speed isn't really needed. The ARB twin compressor is just 2 of their single compressors bolted together. Higher CFM will mean faster fill and also can be used to run air tools. CFM at load (generally 90psi) will be the number you want to compare on compressors.

7. Jul 30, 2018 at 5:06 PM
    JandAOffRoad

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Ordered and thank you for your feedback!

Products Discussed in

To Top