1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommended intake system

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ggalvan210, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Dec 13, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    +1 :)

2. Dec 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    I just purchased the afe stage 2 si and coming from the stock intake I noticed these differences right away.

scangauge reads higher temps on the air when idling. sitting in traffic I see it go up to almost 140F at times. Water temps go up to 200F when this happens. Normal freeway driving will take it back down to about 2F above ambient temp and about 186F to 190F water. Gas mileage for me has gone down as well. Same type of driving would net me about 16-17mpg stock and now I am seeing about 14-15mpg with the AFE.

3. Dec 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    Those are the things I just noticed off the bat. Air temps are higher just from driving around in traffic and idle. at 60-70mph there is no difference. I think some kind of ecu calibrator is needed to take full advantage of the increased airflow that these things offer. I think it may be wasted on the stock tune.

I can't verify this but on acceleration there seems to be a little bit of power loss. I rev smoother but on stock acceleration almost seemed almost uncontrollable. I do have an s/c installed so most likely I would probably need to get a calibrator to better utilize the AFE.

4. Dec 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    moblarkus

moblarkus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand Pearl TRD Off-Road
    Satoshi grille, All-pro bumper, Allpro UCA's, Walker Evans coilovers, 10" Lightforce Blitz, PIAA 510's,Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, Revtec rear blocks. TSB leafs, Firestone Ride-Rite air springs, Hopkins Agility brake controller.
    I'm curious, how does an intake make the 4.0 run rich or lean? Doesn't EFI map? Isn't that why you have a mass airflow sensor? When you drive your truck at different altitudes does it run lean or rich?

5. Dec 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    moblarkus

moblarkus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand Pearl TRD Off-Road
    Satoshi grille, All-pro bumper, Allpro UCA's, Walker Evans coilovers, 10" Lightforce Blitz, PIAA 510's,Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, Revtec rear blocks. TSB leafs, Firestone Ride-Rite air springs, Hopkins Agility brake controller.
    I like my K&N just for the way it sounds over 3000 rpm. But that's just me.

6. Dec 14, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    If it doesn't affect the way the ECU is calculating mass air flow via the sensor (like the TRD CAI and AFE stage 2), in closed loop your AFR will always be the same so around 14.5 to 14.7.

7. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    The MAF sensor/ECU is calibrated based on the assumption of a certain sized air intake cross-section at the MAF sensor. The Volant, and the new TRD, changes that assumption and hence causes the actual airflow vs. the MAF reading to be off. This affects open loop mode only, for the most part. In closed loop, the ECU sets injector pulse width predominantely via the O2 sensor, not the MAF.

8. Jan 5, 2012 at 2:31 AM
    shooter3225

shooter3225 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD PreRunner
    I'm getting ready to order my afe stage 2si..Seems like this is the way to go. Maybe sacrifice a few mpg to gain some hp. I probably won't be getting a SC anytime soon so afe it's gonna be for now :D

Products Discussed in

To Top