1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

recording on audacity

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tacomathunder, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Feb 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    hey guys, i play electric guitar, and i would like to record my own stuff now. i have downloaded audacity, and understand how it works..now i just need to know the best way to record my electric guitar into audacity...i have a crate halfstack amp and love the sound of it, but i dont know how to record it and get a nice crisp sound without it being too loud....do i need to buy an external microphone for better audio, if so which kind...cuz the built in mic on my laptop doesnt cut it...thanks

2. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    if you're on windows i recommend using goldwave instead... i've used audacity on the mac and i wasn't a fan of the user interface

3. Feb 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    whats goldwave? is it free or do i have to buy it

4. Feb 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
  5. Feb 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    if you're on a mac, I recommend using Mixbus. It's only $80 and sounds really good for a DAW.

As far as getting a good sound, you can experiment with direct feeds or preamp outs into your computer, or go the microphone route. Picking a mic that you think sounds good with your setup can be a challenge. To start out with, a Shure SM57 is pretty hard to beat for an all around mic that's hard to f#$k up.

Products Discussed in

To Top