1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

REDARC Tow-Pro Elite (stealth brake controller install)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TacticalTac0, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Aug 13, 2016 at 1:04 PM
    TacticalTac0

TacticalTac0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Left Field, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab 4x4 MGM
    My 2016 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab 4x4 is the first new truck I have bought since 2000 and is the first one smaller than a full size so I wanted to try to keep anything I install nice & clean and as factory looking as possible. Since I do need to tow a double axle flatbed trailer on occasion I needed a brake controller. So I looked.... and looked and didn't see anything that really met my criteria, then I came across REDARC Electronics https://www.redarc.com.au/ out of the land down under. I did my due diligence and had a few emails exchanged with them before deciding to purchase the REDARC Tow-Pro Elite. Given the very good exchange rate from USD to AUD the sticker shock is not nearly as big as it first appears and the quality of the parts shows it is a worthwhile purchase in my book (buy once cry once).

Since I am not a big picture taker and the install is really pretty straight forward like any other brake controller I'll give a run down of what I did.

Since REDARC does not make plug & play wiring harnesses I purchased a Tekonsha Trailer Brake Control Wiring Harness 3017-P that plugs right in to the factory connector behind the kick panel which was pretty easy to locate. I cut the wires on both harnesses to stagger the connections then soldiered them, wrapped them individually with electric tape then all four with some friction tape and finally put some split loom over the entire length. This will leave plenty of slack for the installation, enough that I made a loop and zip tied it to a dash bracket just left of the steering column after getting everything positioned.

Mounting the control box is pretty simple as it just needs to be secured in a fixed position. I chose to the top of the airbag housing directly under the steering column but it appears you could also easily use the back side of the housing as there are some long threads on the fasteners on the back that would allow you to fabricate a bracket for the control box to mount to. I preferred the top of the housing as it is more out of the way if I am under the dash doing something. I used some industrial strength 3M double stick tape to mount it, it's not going anyplace and there is some minimal vibration isolation provided by the tape.

Next up was mounting the control knob which is it's own piece and one of the features that appealed to me (check out the others on their website). I really wanted to have it located in the area below the HVAC controls but I could not find any instructions on how to get to this part of the dash for the Gen 3 Taco and it looked like a lot of messing around from what I saw for the Gen 2's. Luckily I had come across a post that mentioned if you take a tiny screwdriver to can pop the blanking plug out the front, well it works like a charm. If you are a little ham fisted and a lot OCD I would urge you to put some making tape on the area next to where you will pry. Once I popped the blanking plug out I test fir the REDARC dial / switch... it's too wide, not by much so a little shaving of the tabs on the sides of the hole were all that was needed. The back side of the blanking plug has little reinforcements that are quickly dispatched with a utility knife and some needle nose pliers. I used a soldiering gun to really smooth down the back side so that the area was completely flat. the dial / switch has a very specific 2 hole pattern you need to make so that the control shaft and the LED indicator fit properly. Luckily there is a little bit of slop available because they provide a nice finishing plate. place a nut on the shaft and tighten then just plug the control cable in to the switch and figure out how to get it to the drivers side foot well. I used a big zip tie and then taped the cable to it and pulled it through. Plug that to the control box and check that the unit gives a blue LED per the instructions. If it all checks out put everything back together and you are ready to go set the braking force per the manual and online video.

Redarc 2.jpg
    Redarc1.jpg
    Redarc on.jpg

2. Aug 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    Looks good! I really like the clean look of these Aussie controllers. Keeps us posted on how the controller works for you

BSCowboy and mcharfauros like this.
  3. Aug 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM
    2016 Tacoma SR

2016 Tacoma SR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    HOCO Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM 4Runner SR5
    ToyTec Ultimate lift, FX Pro wheels, 295/70/17 Ridge Grapplers, AFE drop in filter.
    Looks great. Can you provide the PN of the exact controller you ordered?

mcharfauros likes this.
  4. Aug 14, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    TacticalTac0

TacticalTac0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Left Field, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab 4x4 MGM
  5. Aug 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM
    captain.cardinal1

captain.cardinal1 instagram @e11lfd

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    louisville, ky
    Vehicle:
    2016 trdorsb inferno FTMFW
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper, full Pelfreybilt skid set, Pelfreybilt sliders, hondo garage phone vent mount, icon stage 3 lift, scs rays 10, 285-70-17 ridge grappler, c4 fab mid height bed rack (currently getting powder)
    Looks great. Just what I've been looking for

6. Aug 14, 2016 at 1:08 PM
    lamia2super

lamia2super Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Miami Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, (sold) 07 Tacoma xRunner
    i like what i see

7. Nov 9, 2016 at 10:10 AM
    Aviator6

Aviator6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD ORDC
    Many thanks for this post, TacticalTac0. Just what I was looking for, a controller that is out of the way & appears to be a factory install. Ordered my Elite today for my TRD ORDC w/tech pkg, (due in any day now). Unfortunately, I won't have a blanking plug where you installed yours, but I do have a blank spot to the left of the steering wheel. Hope there is enough depth there to mount the control knob.

mcharfauros and Drainbung like this.
  8. Nov 9, 2016 at 12:48 PM
    MilkTeacoma

MilkTeacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is plenty of room to mount the knob on the left of the steering wheel.

Out of curiosity, how much was it shipped to the US?

9. Nov 9, 2016 at 1:28 PM
    Aviator6

Aviator6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD ORDC
    Price was $360.50 + 10 shipping (AUD), which came out to approx. $283 (USD). Price can vary depending on exchange rate.
    Thanks for the info about the room beside the steering wheel.

MilkTeacoma likes this.
  10. Nov 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM
    MilkTeacoma

MilkTeacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info on the price. It's a bit more than ones available in the US, but this is the one I have seen that is super stealth. Let us know how the install goes. I hope you take alot of photos.

11. Dec 2, 2016 at 9:54 PM
    NorcalAP2

NorcalAP2 Member

Member:
    I didnt have the option of using the area for BSM or Parking sonar so I put mine where the clutch start cancel switch would be since I have an auto. There was quite a bit of dremeling for that switch that you cant see on the backside. I didn't have to touch the actual panel, just the blank itself. Just figured I would add my install. Sorry there arent anymore pics. If I have to take it apart again, maybe ill take some more pics. I had to combine it with a Tekonsha 3017-S adapter to plug directly into the factory harness

redarc.jpg

mcharfauros, NUKTACO and Aviator6 like this.
  12. Dec 3, 2016 at 3:49 AM
    Aviator6

Aviator6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD ORDC
    Exactly what I did, makes it look factory. I also used the Tekonsha 3017-S, but the Tekonsha 3017-P can be used, but you will be discarding the plug end that goes to the Tekonsha controller. And, yes, quite a bit of cutting on the back side of the blank, so you need to be comfortable using a dremmel tool.
    Brake1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    BT17 and SilverII like this.
  13. Mar 25, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    energygeek

energygeek WassawBound

Member:
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Current Setup: Tire: 33" KO2 Wheels: SCS Front: Bilstien 6112 Rear: Bilstien 5100 & OME Leafs Storage: Decked and SnugTop Brakes: Extended Stainless Lines Roof Rack: Prinsu Towing: Tacoma Tow Package with REDAC brake controller Kayak Bunks: 3" PVC. :) Sleep Setup: In shell or on roof with Plywood and Big Agnes Fly Creek II Cooler: RTIC 65 Liter Future Mods: Winch: MileMaker 12000, install in progress. Bumpers: Any Suggestions? Dual Battery: Roof Top Tent: FSR Power Management: SPOD Brake Upgrade: 4 Runner Conversion Needs Fixing: Wheel Wells Broken Sway Bar bolt
    I have a 2015 Gen 2 with the tow package. I noticed that the wiring harness provided with the Taco has 5 wires. The Redarc has 4 wire, can anyone explain what each wire is for and why there is an extra wire?

Also, it seems etrailer is now selling the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. I plan to order mine shortly. https://www.etrailer.com/p-331-EBRH-ACCV2.html#prod-acc-onlyrelated

14. Mar 25, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    energygeek

energygeek WassawBound

Member:
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Current Setup: Tire: 33" KO2 Wheels: SCS Front: Bilstien 6112 Rear: Bilstien 5100 & OME Leafs Storage: Decked and SnugTop Brakes: Extended Stainless Lines Roof Rack: Prinsu Towing: Tacoma Tow Package with REDAC brake controller Kayak Bunks: 3" PVC. :) Sleep Setup: In shell or on roof with Plywood and Big Agnes Fly Creek II Cooler: RTIC 65 Liter Future Mods: Winch: MileMaker 12000, install in progress. Bumpers: Any Suggestions? Dual Battery: Roof Top Tent: FSR Power Management: SPOD Brake Upgrade: 4 Runner Conversion Needs Fixing: Wheel Wells Broken Sway Bar bolt

I'm responding to my own post. I see the Gen 2 Tacoma would use the Tekonsha 3040-S Brake Control Wiring Adapter. That said, I don't see the point in buying a new harness. I just need to figure out which wire to leave disconnected from the factory provided harness.

Redarc wiring diagram
    Black: 12 V to (+) terminal
    Blue:12V to trailer brakes
    White: Ground
    Red: 12V to brake light trigger

Toyota Harness wiring diagram
    Black-Red: Fused trailer brake controller battery feed
    Red: Trailer electric brake feed from brake controller (Output)
    Brown: Trailer ground
    Green-White: Vehicle stop lamp switch to brake controller (Input)
    Green: Headlamp switch to vehicle trail lamps

Conclusion
    Black = Black-Red
    Blue = Red
    White = Brown
    Red = Green-White
    Empty = Green

So everything should work. Just leave the green wire from the Toyota provided wiring harness disconnected, correct?

the dashing ham and Drainbung like this.
  15. Aug 19, 2018 at 6:15 PM
    Bestantonio72

Bestantonio72 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2018 While Toyota Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD
    E103A2ED-5BFF-4DC5-8CC4-547CB08762B3.jpg I do like that REDARC controller I went with one similar that I like as well is the spectrum break controller looks factory and I did install on the little pocket out of the way works really good with my trailer I’m really happy with it!!

16. Oct 19, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    Drainbung

Drainbung Somedays you are the show....

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Fallabama, NV
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB
    TRD Fleshlight
    Just saw their advertisement in Overland Journal and figured I'd do a search on TW, sure enough you kids are right on top of it!

17. Oct 20, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    slowlane

slowlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    i like this. saving for later if/when i decide to get a brake controller.

mcharfauros likes this.
  18. Oct 21, 2018 at 11:16 AM
    Drainbung

Drainbung Somedays you are the show....

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Fallabama, NV
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB
    TRD Fleshlight
  19. Oct 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
  20. May 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    buckmaster243

buckmaster243 I don’t know what to do with my hands

Member:
    First Name:
    Buck
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 2023 4runner
    Did this end up working?

Products Discussed in

To Top