1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reliable truck shops in Austin?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by madsoup, May 17, 2016.

1. May 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM
    madsoup

madsoup [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I'm new-ish here and new-ish to Austin. While my truck (08 tacoma, 4x4, td off road) felt fine in Atlanta, it's been feeling pretty small here in Texas :p So I decided to lift it and put some bigger tires on.

After doing some research on this site, and shopping around a bit, I decided to go w/ an all-pro "pro" 3in lift kit w/ the expedition springs, and some 285/75R16 KO2s.

My original plan was to do the install w/ a friend-- we have limited car experience, but we're good at reading and following youtube videos :p -- we did manage to replace the faulty leaf springs on my truck when I first got it. And we were going to do the work at atx hackerspace last weekend.

Unfortunately, UPS managed to misplace some of the shipments, so the parts weren't here last weekend, and my buddy's out of town. I don't really feel like attempting this by myself, and I'd really, really like to have this finished by burning flipside next week.

So at this point I'm just looking for reliable places to install the lift, do some body cutting if need be, alignment, and mounting / balancing of tires. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go to get this work done?

These tires have been in my living room for 3 weeks now, taunting me.

I appreciate any suggestions :)

Thanks,
    Richie

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. May 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    You can come to my house. I charge $100 for front lift, $100 for rear lift, and $100 for upper control arm install. I just got done installing two lifts this past weekend putting my total Tacoma, 4Runner, and FJ installs right at 30. PM me your cell number if you want to talk.

opentang and ChadsPride like this.
  3. May 18, 2016 at 8:10 PM
    -dustin

-dustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020SWDCSBTRDPROFTW
    Pretty sure @Texoma has the best view of any shop in Austin, too.

4. May 19, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    And probably the best test drive course as well.

5. May 20, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    qxrtz4321

qxrtz4321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Montana / Washington
    Wish I saw this post before I dropped mine off at my mechanic in Leander for the lift install... Pretty sure I'm going to see a $6-800 bill today depending on how long it took them.

ChadsPride likes this.
  6. May 20, 2016 at 7:04 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    I used to live in Austin.

I miss Austin.

Life sucks outside Austin.

True story.

ChadsPride and jtweezy like this.
  7. May 20, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Where do you live now?

Crow_of_judgement likes this.
  8. May 20, 2016 at 7:05 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    mass-a-holio

used to love Barton Springs when it was 100 out

kevron, Leathermatt and ChadsPride like this.
  9. May 20, 2016 at 7:06 AM
    ChadsPride

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ew

10. May 20, 2016 at 7:09 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Ouch, that's a big bill. If you can get em to not do that, I've got time next weekend for an install. Plus I do a hell of alot more for your truck than any shop will do.

Crow_of_judgement and ChadsPride like this.
  11. May 20, 2016 at 7:14 AM
    ChadsPride

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I hope you are still doing this around next tax season. :fingerscrossed:

12. May 20, 2016 at 8:36 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Sure will. Whenever you're ready, let me know.

ChadsPride[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 20, 2016 at 8:54 PM
    CedarPark

CedarPark Master of Destroying CVs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD V6 Taco, '11 2WD 5.7 Tundy
    Lights & Lockers & Duals
    Test drive course? Now i'm intrigued... i'm even more inclined to take you up on that invite now. My plan is to order my UCAs, use your tools, overstay my welcome and then leave :rofl::rofl::sawzall::spy:

Texoma knows his shit and will charge less than any shop around. Idm doing it, not to undercut him i'd probably just charge the same as him, but have limited tool access having basically temporarily moved back to Austin for school, and i'm quite busy, so i'd take a trip up to Lago and pay him a visit.

To your actual question, not sure of any reputable off road shops. The guy i'm gonna have do all my specialized work is in Houston. Honestly, any shop can do a lift. Its typically 5 bolts if you include disconnecting your UCA to your spindle.. I mean granted it'll never work like that in reality but one day just maybe :rofl:Problem is, good luck finding a shop for under $90 an hour that'll do it in "less than 4 hours"

ChadsPride likes this.
  14. May 22, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    I've got a more intense test drive course as well, but it's not for the faint at heart.

Ugly Betty and ChadsPride like this.
  15. May 22, 2016 at 6:55 AM
    CedarPark

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    Lights & Lockers & Duals
    I did TRO this weekend after a flood warning, my confidence is temporarily sky high :benchpress:

ChadsPride and Ugly Betty like this.
  16. May 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner
    So @Texoma or any Austin peeps are you joining us Memorial Day weekend at k2 or hidden falls?

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    ChadsPride likes this.
  17. May 22, 2016 at 6:24 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Chive(52).jpg

ChadsPride likes this.
  18. May 22, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Probably not making it to HF til mid June. Just bought a house two months ago, so there is a long honey do list I need to do first. Sucks that Im only 20min from there, and still cant seem to find time for it.

19. May 22, 2016 at 7:13 PM
    CedarPark

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    Lights & Lockers & Duals
    You missed me buried on the fence line headed to North Peak on one of the clif faces with a clif taller than my truck infront of me. Made the line before.. just not after flooding IMG_1236.jpg

Did a number on my paint job, heh. This make you want to go out bad enough yet? :rofl:

Ugly Betty and ChadsPride like this.
  20. May 23, 2016 at 3:50 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Damn, that's some shit there

ChadsPride likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top