1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote entry

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by VintageFast, May 12, 2014.

1. May 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    VintageFast

VintageFast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 3.4
    ok. I have a remote entry system that was installed by the distributor at the Port of Houston.

I can be driving down the road and out of the blue my doors unlock. Not a problem right?

I was out of town and parked my truck at DFW airport. When I came back, the doors were unlocked. Can potentially be a problem right?

Yesterday, I was talking to my neighbors with the truck all locked up and secure. The doors unlocked themselves and the alarm disarmed itself. Yep... that's a problem.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Battery is 2 months old and the cables have no terminal corrosion.

2. May 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    How long ago was the install? Can you take it back to installer. Is there a warranty. What brand is it? It would be better disabled right now it seems!

3. May 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    maybe a short somewhere causing it?

4. May 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    Does this only happen when the alarm is armed or doors are locked? If it was a short, it would go both ways.

Disconnect the battery to kill the power going to the alarm. Locate your alarm and unplug the wire harnesses going to your alarm for about 30 minutes. Do the same for the batteries in your remotes. Reconnect everything; car battery first, then alarm harnesses, then remote batteries and try it again. Have the alarm manual at hand in case you need to reprogram the remotes. If all else fails -call tech support for your alarm. If you have a DEI alarm their tech support is real good. When I installed my alarm I wanted to wire the output siren to my horn since its way louder and they showed me how to wire it.

Products Discussed in

To Top