1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote start 1st gen

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 1stevertaco, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Sep 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM
    1stevertaco

1stevertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2000 taco 4x4
    sway bar end links
    hey folks,

Just wanted to see who has a remote start on your Tacoma, I've been thinking of installing one on my truck.

Anyone have a preference on a brand?

Keep in mind I only want remote start, not looking for a crazy alarm.

I had a avital on a tundra a couple years back, but it came with the truck so I don't know what all was purchased for install, but all it did was remote start and unlock and lock the doors

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. Sep 28, 2016 at 7:05 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    I asked a local toyota dealer who they recommend and went there. so far so good, although it doesn't always start the first attempt, could be my starter or some fuel slowness as it cranks 4 times before stopping :notsure:

3. Sep 29, 2016 at 3:58 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Mine does the same damned thing. Was in the truck when I purchased it. More times than not it doesn't start first time. And second time it usually cranks a lil too long after its already fired. Tempted to stop using it in fear of some kinda possible damage to starter or something. Idk I just thought it was mine. Not sure what causes it. Seems like there's something off with the remote system itself in erroneously detecting that it's actually started. No clue how those things work. Haven't looked into it But now that I've heard yours has the same kinda issue, makes me think it might just be the nature of the truck that Just doesn't work well with remote starts. :notsure:

Edit. Just remembered that when I was tinkering with cleaning the iac in hopes that it would help my rough hot starts, which it did, that it actually helped the remote start as well and would start first time every time. Haven't cleaned it in a long ass time and this makes me want to again to test that notion. Or maybe it's a leaky injector that I still haven't determined is the cause but was gonna replace them at some point in the future.

Just throwing that all out there because I really don't know if any of this affects the remote start or not. Seems like it would. Or at the least will draw out some other folks with remote start and their feedback to let me confirm any suspicion, whether theirs works without hiccup or not.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Sep 29, 2016 at 4:58 AM
    RLD831

RLD831 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Doublecab PreRunner Limited
    I installed an Avital remote locks/remote start kit in my 2001. I have the same problem with the remote start. About 70% of the time, it starts right up, and the other 30% of the time, it cranks a few times, doesn't turn over, and stops. I'm going to have to try cleaning the IAC and see what happens.

5. Sep 29, 2016 at 9:29 AM
    1stevertaco

Member:
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2000 taco 4x4
    sway bar end links
    So everyone that's reporting this problem, how many miles do you have on your truck. Do you ever have to crank your truck more than once with the key to get it to start?

6. Sep 29, 2016 at 9:38 AM
    clayshutr

clayshutr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Central MO
    Vehicle:
    02 dc 4x4, 08 T4R v8
    ome 882 billy's dakars 255-80-17 STMAXX SCS F5 some other random doodads
    I have a clifford that is a two way with alarm, range is 1800 feet with answer back. It starts first time every time. mine has 158k miles. It also has a crank time learn so it knows how long to crank it. I believe its the 3.3x model. I know its more than you want, just sharing what I have. Clifford is good stuff (made by dei).

SellyKlater likes this.
  7. Sep 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM
    RLD831

RLD831 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Doublecab PreRunner Limited
    The engine that was in there had about 200k, and the current one has about 70k. Both have the same problem. I do need to hold the key a little longer at about the same probablity as the remote starter doesn't work on the first shot. I'm pretty sure it's something with my truck, not the remote start kit. If it had a way to adjust how long it cranks for, it would be fine.

8. Sep 29, 2016 at 1:39 PM
    1stevertaco

Member:
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2000 taco 4x4
    sway bar end links

Hey thanks sharing, with even tho it's more than I'm looking for I may go for a better unit, that may last longer.

Thank you for sharing

9. Sep 29, 2016 at 1:51 PM
    clayshutr

clayshutr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Central MO
    Vehicle:
    02 dc 4x4, 08 T4R v8
    ome 882 billy's dakars 255-80-17 STMAXX SCS F5 some other random doodads
    I've had that in two trucks mind you, for a total of nearly 8 years. Well worth the investment to me. My wife runs the same one in her t4r and we have one remote for the both trucks (each of us have our own remotes, but it will work on either truck). It will run up to 2 cars and 2 systems on one remote. Thats worth something seeing how key rings become quite hefty these days!

10. Sep 29, 2016 at 3:26 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    186k. And starting with the key works perfect. Usually cranks over longer but starts up just fine. I think it might actually be the remote start system. Lots of times it will only crank like 3 times which isn't enough. Starting with key usually takes like 6 or so cranks iirc. Gotta be something with the amount of times it's programmed to crank. But it was odd that cleaning iac helped..

It's an older avital model. I pondered the idea of having it removed and install a better version/brand. Or maybe find a shop that can program the current one. Because it's getting old dealing with that.

I mostly love how I can hit the remote function when I wanna leave the truck running at a quick stop somewhere and remove the keys. Sometimes I forget to put the key back in though, and when I hit the brake to put in gear she shuts down. Oops. Lol. But that's a great security function. Although when I remote start and forget to disable alarm, I can actually get in and drive it with alarm still activated. Them when I shut the truck off and close the door, the alarm finally goes off. Don't know what that's about.. Plus my doors won't lock/unlock with key fob. But that may be programmed.

I think it's just a crappy product and well worth it to go better in the end...

11. Oct 5, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    1stevertaco

Member:
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2000 taco 4x4
    sway bar end links
    so I'm thinking of getting the compustar pro t11

but i don't know to much about remote start systems and what all is involved(components)

any experts on this forum?

from what i understand, since i have a 2000, and my key doesn't have a chip, i don't need a immobilizer(bypass unit)

heres a question:
    if i buy the compositor pro t11, which control modular(brian of the unit) do i need to purchase?

Does it need any firmware flashing? is it plug and play(other than the wiring splicing)

12. Mar 7, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    slo3

slo3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you help with a link?
    I'm having trouble finding it online.

13. Mar 7, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    beez

beez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    04 single cab PreRunner
    I had a Viper 4105V installed at Bestbuy. I have installed a Python keyless entry/remote start in my old VW.

The Viper has a virtual tach connection so it knows when the engine is running so it can stop cranking.

Almost all alarms/keyless entry systems that you buy online are all refurbished, and will not come with instructions or wiring diagrams, as they are meant to be installed by an authorized dealer. I lucked out and found a wiring diagram for the Python online, but nothing for the Viper.

14. Jun 30, 2022 at 3:28 PM
    Itzmack117

Itzmack117 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma w/ 2.4L and 4 SPD auto
    Did you ever get answers to this? I'm looking at that model too

15. Jul 1, 2022 at 3:55 PM
    1stevertaco

Member:
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2000 taco 4x4
    sway bar end links
    no i never heard anything from anyone, i believe if you do this you will be a pioneer on a new journey.

16. Jul 5, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    beez

beez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    04 single cab PreRunner
    Allow me to chime in with my limited experience with remote start systems, although not the Compustar system.

I have a Viper system installed on my Tacoma, and I installed myself a newer version of the Viper in my Astro. Both are the keyless entry/remote start models, no security features.

First off, there is very little technical info out there since really only dealers and professional installers have access to this, I guess Viper doesn't want people trying to diy and burning their vehicles up. www.the12volt.com is a good place for info if you want to look.

My kit came with a cheater card with the really basic wiring diagram, not sure if the Compustar one does. DEI (directed electronics) manufactures brands like Viper, Python, etc.

What you need for a remote start system is a few relays that allow the "brain" of the system to switch on power to the accessories, "on" and starter, basically switching the ignition on without the key.

Then there are the basic power/ground/antenna/door lock connections, and a hood switch so you can't start it with the hood up, and a tach connection, mine does this by sensing via the ground/batt wires, so it's pretty simple to install one yourself if you have basic wiring skills. Oh yeah you have to tap into the parking lights as well, which is simple with the Taco.

The only part which ends up being the most difficult/sensitive, but not hard really, is the power connections to the ignition switch, as these carry a good deal of current and need to be done correctly. I stripped the insulation back from the heavy wires at the switch an inch back from the connector and then soldered on the new wires to tap into them with the wiring coming from the remote start system, either a separate relay pack or it's integrated into the brain of the computer, like mine is.

I can't imagine that the Compustar system is much different.

17. Jul 5, 2022 at 12:15 PM
    beez

beez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    04 single cab PreRunner
    It looks like you just get a Pro T11 kit online.

Products Discussed in

To Top