1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Start Push to Start

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Dirtridercrf250, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Jan 30, 2019 at 3:09 AM
    House Forsaken

House Forsaken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Traded) 2017 TRD Off-Road (Traded) 2018 TRD Off-Road
    N2DesignsInc likes this.
  2. Jan 30, 2019 at 3:43 AM
    ETsemaj

ETsemaj @Koditten Pirate Radio member #001

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Cape Canveral, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma Off Road
    speaker and tweater upgrade DMM phone mount and a large wishlist
    It is a safety feature for the push to start models. ive read some other car brands dont do it but toyota does. And as pointed above, that way when you get in your rig, its at a temp you want it to be at. and all you ahve to do is press the start button and drive off. takes maybe 5 sec more. even less if your like me and start the engine as you sit down and let it do it thing while you do your seat belt.

3. Jan 30, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Denteen

Denteen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Central valley CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    TRD Pro suspension-2nd Gen Frontrunner bed rack Tacowiede radio knobs! Best mod everrrr!!! DSM mount Wheel swap to OR’s. For now... Gone-2005 DC Icon Stage 2 with Rear Resis;ICON 3 leaf AAL installed! Gone-2001 xcab 4x4 4cyl 5spd. Best truck ever...
    I dont like that either, and I had similar problems with factory units (some was my ignorance in how to use), BUT my intent was for my wife to be able to warm it up before she goes to work or cool down in summer. Its her baby. For now. comes down to personal decision due to 190$ minimum
    I wasnt dropping 500 at a dealer and then carrying another fob thing. Dont need 1 mile range.

4. Jan 30, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    N2DesignsInc

N2DesignsInc --------------------------- N2 Designs, Inc. Vendor

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 that identifies itself as a 2021
    Mods: Is this still a Tacoma?
    Why bother?

A few reasons, and if they are less important to you, then I guess that would be why you wouldn't bother, but these are why:

- Cool car in the summer for family, children, pets passengers or even before the groceries come out...(perishables like milk and cheese don't like hot vehicles).
    - Warm interior for passengers, or yourself
    - Defrosted windshield
    - Warm Seats
    - Let your vehicle stretch before it's marathon for the day - (although not really needed with today's technology and engines)

To name a few..these, for most, out weigh the extra push. Now, lets not use the engine starter cycle argument at all. Your starter will outlast you, your vehicle's engine and 4-10 generations after you. I don’t know if people realize the number of cycles it’s life can handle. In the 90’s it was around 50,000 cycles. Today, especially because of auto start/stop technology on some vehicles having raised the bar on robustness, you’re talking 500,000 to 1.2 million cycles! You do the math of how much, on average, you start your vehicle per day. At 3 times per day, that’s 167,000 days to 400,000 days, or 457 years to 1096 years (the year 2476 to the year 3115)! Your engine would’ve been replaced quite a few times already if there is even any metal left on the body/frame, and we’ll be able to remote start vehicles by just thinking it by then, if e're still using automobiles by then!

So let me ask you THIS, with all that aside, you still have to come into your vehicle and start it right? And without the remote starter, you're not coming to a vehicle that has given you the mentioned amenities when you do start it, that's why most bother.

I am not sure why this bother so many folks...I truly would love to know why it is a deal breaker over having some of these luxuries...but I could never get a good answer that doesn't come back to starter this, starter that.

House Forsaken likes this.
  5. Feb 6, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    amajr316

amajr316 Member

Member:

I'll give you one that does include the starter. I know you didn't want it, but if you use your starter religiously, you are basically cutting it's life in half, because you have to start the car twice each time you use it. Regardless of what the duty cycles are for the starter (how did we come up with this number of 500k to 1.2 million???) - that is what the manufacturer put in because they find that is what is needed for the vehicle. How, you use it double, so you do cut the life in half. The other thing that gets me is that this 'engine shutting off when you open a door' is truly useless. Many other manufacturers have, for many years, had functional remote start on keyless ignition cars, without the need to use the remote start, have the car shut off when you open the door, and then you start the car again. The car I am trading in was put in service in 2010, and it works as it should... Why in 2016, 17, 18 do we still have this "cut out" when we open the door? With all this said, I will still get a starter, even with the mild inconvenience... still better than NOT having one...

N2DesignsInc[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 6, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Tacoma3rdGen Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    Exactly... our “other brand” vehicles with push start and remote start require a brake press while the key fob is present before you can shift out of park... Toyota engineering simply sucks (not the engineers, rather the engineering and design directors). My internal discus for inefficiency, such as in this particular Toyota design, causes me to pause on purchasing an add on unit. I know it’s not the fault of our third party folks, all of whom do their best to help us, the cumsumer... I just wish Toyota leadership had such dedicatation to do the same!

7. Feb 7, 2019 at 4:28 AM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya...but cut it’s life in half, you still won’t run it into the ground as you think you would. How often did you change a starter on any vehicle you’ve had? On top of that, the price of one starter in the vehicles lifetime is worth having a vehicle with the lifetime of said convenience, personally for myself that is. Had a 30 year old Toyota 4 runner that needed one starter changed, and remember, it’s likely due to over cranking and crank timing over time when it came to the user turning the engine on. Let’s say when battery was dead and trying to start it, or accidentally starting it when it was already on over it’s life time...push to start is a signal, it controls all that so you can’t over crank or be off with key turn being held and timed optimally until engine turns. And with HKEY, your engine doesn’t turn off as you get key take over.

If we’re talking about why in 16, 17, 18, and 19 things...let’s talk about why an SR base Tacoma gets Bluetooth standard but still have a basic key that requires the owner to WALK up to the vehicle and ohysically out the key into the door to unlock the vehicle? (N2 Designs solved that problem as well). Or how about why in 16-19 give us projector housings but yellow incandescent bulbs? Or why in 16- 19 give us smart entry on the drivers side door but not any other side, who does that?

Yes, this is Toyota’s design. Why they allowed HKEY to stay running and not push tonstart is beyond me, they could’ve done key sense and takeover on PTS just like HKEY but they didn’t. Would love to know why one day. 3rd part folks as you said don’t control this but get heat for it quite often from those who don’t know this little fact upfront at first. If I had control over it, believe me, I would NOT chiose to sell it to you like that because my HKEY customers all get key over ride features...no reason to discriminate...ahem...Toyota engineering...

My Domestic customers on the other hands don’t have these issues, heck not even some of my Nissan folks...someone at Toyota must’ve came to work hungover when they designed this part of the circuit...I’d pay to know what was in dudes head because there HAS to be a good reason...and Push to Start ignition is NOT the reason...

With that said, you’ll be holding off for s long time until Toyota changes it’s mind or you go with a new make and/or model...nothing will change about this current PTS, and from a liability stand point you can bet no after market over ride kit will be created to bypass this. That has lawsuit written all over it. I know how to do it, but I’ve got business to operate...if someone’s really bothered about this, then I offer my apologies and move on.

And let’s forget the starter argument, it’s not a valid one, research it based on the OEM p/n, then the chain supplier and tech specs it must meet or exceed to pass Toyota QA/QC not to mention to keep up with the rising bar continuosly set by competitors. So I’ll ask again, were you not going to walk up to your vehicle and start it anyways? If your answer is no, then you never needed a remote starter. Difference here is starting it while it’s toasty in your cab on a winter day, or cool on a hot summer day.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    ETsemaj likes this.
  8. Feb 7, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    That would be a nice option to have Jimmy! I bring my long range remote with me to Hockey and it's nice that I can start my Taco from the dressing room before I head back out in the cold. But it would be even nicer if I could do it from my iPhone instead of carrying the extra remote.

Too bad I'm in Canada, I would jump all over that. :thumbsup:

9. Feb 7, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    xsf18cdf

xsf18cdf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD/OR/DC/LB/QS
    None

I always thought the reason the cut out was there was so that between the time you start it and you arrive at your car, some crackhead (apologies to any crackheads here on TW) doesn't jack your car and drive off with it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Boyitz likes this.
  10. Feb 7, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    02TRDXTRA

02TRDXTRA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island,NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR
    love the worn out starter debate. simply comical.don't buy an auto start stop vehicle. probably have to replace one a month!!

Boyitz and N2DesignsInc like this.
  11. Feb 7, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    My point exactly...people complaining about this nowadays can't get past the past...how about vehicles with auto start/stop, at every red light, stop sign and stop and go traffic? This argument is invalid, so I'm still looking for a valid reason why this is a "deal breaker" over the added convenience, have yet to hear one other than starter...you're still going to walk up to your vehicle and start it one way or another...might as well come to a convenient vehicle, rather than a hotter than hell, colder than ice one...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Boyitz likes this.
  12. Feb 7, 2019 at 10:17 AM
    jmeitz

jmeitz Audio Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma trd sport
    Remote Start Lift Stereo Leather LED lights
    But Jimmy...

13. Feb 7, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    Rick.

Rick. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick.
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 double cab trd sport LB
    Not much
    I bought as used Taco and it came with a Viper alarm/starter. I think viper makes a good product but just wanted to comment on the remote situation. I received two taco remotes and two viper remotes, two way and a one way. They work well enough but I still have to carry the taco remote for the push to start. Wish I could just carry one remote. I hate that the truck shuts off when a door is opened. I've had many vehicles with remote start and all allowed the door to open without shutting off the vehicle. Just to get a snow brush out of the cab it shuts off. Insane.

14. Feb 7, 2019 at 10:28 AM
    mopar2

mopar2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin TN
    I just installed my 12 volt solutions last week with the phone app. Maybe 20min to install. Very easy mod.

TEXAS BS[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    amajr316

amajr316 Member

Member:
    Hey - like I said, I am still buying a starter, no question. It does double the usage of the starter, and that is unfortunate. Yes, it is not high on the list of probability that I'll ever have to replace the starter, of course. But it would be nice for the system to be updated. And yes, how about keyless (touch to unlock) entry on the passenger side, too!

16. Feb 7, 2019 at 11:01 AM
    jmeitz

jmeitz Audio Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma trd sport
    Remote Start Lift Stereo Leather LED lights
    Easy mod and standard on 2020 model

17. Feb 7, 2019 at 1:43 PM