1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Start

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DustinSK, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    sixsixsix

sixsixsix Well-Known Member

Member:
    DustinSK, How has the remote start been working these past few days? Have you tried to remote start on an incline/decline surface? thx

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM
    DustinSK

DustinSK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:

Guys. This thing is fantastic. Ever since he added the tach, there has not been ONE failed start! He told me it might help with the cold engine starts but wow, I am so glad I talked to you guys. I have started it probably 20 times, being as it has only been a few days, and it has started right up everytime. And Im not sure if the remote has anything to do with it, but I got a pretty cheap one and I am in love. But as far as the incline or decline surface, its PERFECT. If you get a remote start, FORSURE GET A TACH WIRE INSTALLED! Highly recommend.

3. Jan 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    I hate to say this but pull the light bulb out. There are no triggers you can use to disable it by remote. one of toyotas screw ups.

4. Jan 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    Good deal enjoy man.

5. Jan 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    gzilla

gzilla Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Lakewood, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Viper Smart Start
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess that's my only other option. The truck won't lock down on me after a certain point will it?

Any thoughts as to the door trigger when the remote start times out and the headlights stay lit until I open the driver door, or do I have to just remember to shut the head lights off when I get out?

Thanks.

6. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    If it was ME we are talking here i would disable the system. ( one more reason why NOT to have a factory alarm on it plain junk).

As for your headlights two things you can do. One the manual way just make sure you turn the lights off which you should be doing anyway.

Other thing would be to disable your daytime running lights( relay) see if that works. ( see note below)

NOTE : I dont have a wiring diagram in front of me to help you. Plus toyota is not very nice when it come to there modules for diagrams at all. Hard to say how the flow of current is without a diagram..

7. Jan 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    gzilla

gzilla Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Lakewood, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Viper Smart Start
    Thanks for your input.

8. Jan 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    WestEnd

WestEnd Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    Your installer has neglected one of two things. He has either interrupted the security light wire incorrectly with his bypss unit. (it depends on brand of bypass here.) Or, he hasn't powered up all ignition/accessory wires during the remote start cycle.

Is your truck a Push Button Start?

9. Jan 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    WestEnd

WestEnd Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    Tach wire hookups are a must, in my opinion. It is the most accurate way a module has to determine engine status. Voltage sensing hookups are faster, but result in intermittent no-starts, as you are having with your Tacoma.
    Any installer worth his salt will hook up the tach wire and program it for you for no cost. It should be considered part of the original installation. To do less is simply taking your money for a half-installed product.
    There should also be a hood pin installed out under the hood that cuts out the remote start anytime the hood is opened. This is the second most ignored part of a remote start install, but is a safety feature and therefore important to any starter install.

Just my two cents...

10. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    DustinSK

Member:
    Alright guys, I now have an issue...

So the remote starter has been working ever since I started this thread. It has started every single time and has NOT had a fault start once! However, last week something started to happen. My remote still STARTS my car and UNLOCKS it; however, it will not LOCK it or CHIRP. (Had to capitalize to show my emphasis) I have no idea why, also the transmitter inside my car, the light is no longer blinking? I dont know what this could be. I was thinking it was the transmitter since the light isnt on, but then how is the car unlocking and starting? Also, last thing, on the actual remote start the led light does not blink when I press lock...It does however when I press unlock and engine start. Any ideas on whats going on!?

11. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Did you verify it's not in valet mode?

12. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    Have you replace the battery in the remote first?

13. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    DustinSK

Member:
    When its in valet mode the transmitter light is solid. Right now its off, completely. And wont turn on, sometimes it blinks. And I havent replaced the battery. But I dont get what that would do since the thing installed on truck wont chirp. And also unlocking and starting works.

14. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    If it was in valet mode it would not start only locks would work.

Some remotes,, locking when the battery is low it will not work its a fail safe with some remotes (warning you its low).

15. Mar 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    DustinSK

Member:
    Okay. Well maybe that could be possible. Could that also be why it doesnt chirp anymore?

16. Mar 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    hayabusa3303

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    Some remote starts depends on the model knows when the battery in the remote is going dead in-turn the alarm might disable features intil it sees a strong signal again ( new battery)

I had a design tech remote start ( first remote start i did when the battery went low in the remote it would unlock and start but wouldnt go into valet mode or lock the doors.)

Why doesnt chip? good question could be many things. Bad wiring to bad siren. Or you have got into the programming of the brain by accident too. ( i have seen that more than a few times) I have seen in more on the cheaper models than on the more expensive ones.

MY advice would be to change the battery if that doesn't solve the problem i would call your installer who you got it from for help.

17. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    FightFire48

FightFire48 Taco Monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    3" Toytec lift AEM BruteForce CAI Gibson exhaust 2 - Rockford Fosgate 8's
    Thanks for the knowledge man! Great info

18. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    You should be able to adjust how long it cranks so it fires up. My Clifford did the same so they adjusted the timing and its perfect now.

19. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    FightFire48

FightFire48 Taco Monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    3" Toytec lift AEM BruteForce CAI Gibson exhaust 2 - Rockford Fosgate 8's
  20. Jan 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    El TacoBender

El TacoBender Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    always moving
    Vehicle:
    '03 taco sr5,4x4,v6
    -K&N CAI
    anyone know of a good thread to really understand the basics of remote starters?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top