1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Start

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by snowmanwithahat, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:05 AM
    Spidious

Spidious 2006 Tacoma SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma SR5
    Forward & reverse camera monitoring Bed Mat Tyger Black Tonneau Cover Tyger Sport Bar, 36" led light bar Hikity Android Car Radio Pro grill with lights Sport hood Cold air intake Sprint Booster throttle controller Flip down bed extender 265/75R15 tires 2"spacers New led tail lights Internal/external thermometer Chrome Bullbar Chrome step tubes LED F&R led turn lights
  2. Sep 22, 2016 at 10:16 AM
    dzkritzas

dzkritzas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    South Kakalaki
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD-OR DCSB
    superwhite (IN THE WORKS) SOS offroad concepts streamline bumper + winch Ballistic Tank Wheels- 305/70/17 "3 OME coilovers with top plate Camburg Uniball UCA 2.5 Fox rear shock with remote resv custom 3rd brake light mod custom TRD OR bed decals or replica's- @stickerhi on instag tell him i sent you for his %off..he can make it happen! (INSTALLED) LEDs everywhere...not a halogen on the truck LEXUS GS350 LED projector fog lamp exact swap LED puddle light +int footwells TRD PRO skid plate TRD PRO shifter TRD Pro grille insert llumar AIR80 tint on windshield 20% ceramic tint across the rest remote start EVO ALL+rf extender front camera mod w/crux harness custom hood + bedlights all black badges pop n lock tailgate lock custom raptor lights attached to DRLs more to come im sure....
    is there anyway to get it not to shut off when you open the door?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 22, 2016 at 12:47 PM
    Taco Driver

Taco Driver Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 - Silver Sky Metallic
    Spidious. Do you need to install a hood switch to make this work? According to the instructions it appears so. No biggie. Just planning it out.

4. Sep 23, 2016 at 5:21 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Nope. It's a design feature as best as I know. Reduces the risk of someone breaking into the vehicle and driving it away.

With a keyed ignition, if someone breaks into the running vehicle they have to get around a steering lock before they can drive away.

dzkritzas[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    MSP Joshua

MSP Joshua Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCLB TRD Off Road
    No, the CAN-Bus high and low wires communicate the hood status to the unit, and it will not remote start with the hood open (if programmed correctly).

See this thread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/remote-start-reprogramming.448379/

gpb likes this.
  6. Sep 24, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    Taco Driver

Taco Driver Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 - Silver Sky Metallic
  7. Sep 26, 2016 at 7:30 AM
    dzkritzas

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    South Kakalaki
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD-OR DCSB
    superwhite (IN THE WORKS) SOS offroad concepts streamline bumper + winch Ballistic Tank Wheels- 305/70/17 "3 OME coilovers with top plate Camburg Uniball UCA 2.5 Fox rear shock with remote resv custom 3rd brake light mod custom TRD OR bed decals or replica's- @stickerhi on instag tell him i sent you for his %off..he can make it happen! (INSTALLED) LEDs everywhere...not a halogen on the truck LEXUS GS350 LED projector fog lamp exact swap LED puddle light +int footwells TRD PRO skid plate TRD PRO shifter TRD Pro grille insert llumar AIR80 tint on windshield 20% ceramic tint across the rest remote start EVO ALL+rf extender front camera mod w/crux harness custom hood + bedlights all black badges pop n lock tailgate lock custom raptor lights attached to DRLs more to come im sure....
    do you think this has any long term effect on the longevity of the starter?

8. Sep 26, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Of course it will. Any component is built with an intended service life. The more times you use it, the more of its service life you consume.

The real question though is whether it creates a high probability of an early starter motor failure. That's going to depend on individual habits and use.

Just for fun let's say I use the remote start five mornings a week for four months in the year, then also five afternoons a week for four months a year. That adds up to an additional 170 start cycles in a year over my normal usage. Unlike many people, I don't drop off / pick up kids from day care, stop at starbucks, drive out to lunch, and stop at starbucks again after work each day. I'm avoiding six starts per day, which adds up to around 1500 start cycles per year.

So for me, assuming I do install a remote start, the additional wear on the starter isn't something I'm too concerned with. For someone else's situation it might be worth considering. :D

dzkritzas[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 26, 2016 at 8:28 AM
    dzkritzas

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    South Kakalaki
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD-OR DCSB

understood now. or at least more clearly. i only plan to use remote start in early morning situations and maybe during the winter to preheat the truck maybe after work etc.. thus not using it nearly as often as twice per day. doesnt seem like it would be something i need to be concerned with either. thanks for helping me understand!

gpb[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 29, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    dzkritzas

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    South Kakalaki
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD-OR DCSB
    did your kit include the valet switch or the hood pin switch? also how does it change the way you crank your car without using the remote start?

do you still hold the brake pedal and press the ignition button once to crank the truck, or is it a different sequence now?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Sep 30, 2016 at 4:53 AM
    Normagene

Normagene MUTANT TACO

Member:
    New England
    I'm thinking about gett'n a Remote Starter, went aftermarket in my Tundra only because I didn't like the way the Toyota one shuts off when you open the door. After starting you unlock the door, insert the key, turn key to on position and off you go. If you get into the truck and for some reason touch the brake pedal prior to turning the key it kills the engine.

Plus I like that anytime you stop, put it in park, you can press the remote start button (while the engine is running) weather or not you started it using the remote, and you can REMOVE the key, get out, Lock the truck, run into the post office or whatever, then unlock, turn key, and off you go. Again tho, if you don't have the key back in the on position and touch the brake it will kill the engine.

So my question is: how do the aftermarket ones work? I don't want one that shuts it off when the door opens. Not sure how that works with push button starters.

Anyone have aftermarket, and how do you like it. If you recommend, what brand, part number?

Thanks
    Norma

12. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Prepare for disappointment. At present, the engine shuts down with all known remote starters on push-button ignition Tacomas. My theory is that it's intended to prevent someone from popping a window, opening the door, and driving away.

On my 2017 it is possible to do this in the stock config. Park, get out leaving it running, lock the doors using the key in the fob, and go do your stuff. Handy if you have your dog(s) in the back seat. I forget if I have to unlock with the key or can unlock with the fob.

13. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:20 AM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    I was talking to a install shop yesterday and they're telling me there is a by-pass module to get around this issue on the PTS system but he has to check with alarm manufacture....

He does now for a fact that Viper and Magnadyne are working on this as well...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  14. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:24 AM
    Normagene

Normagene MUTANT TACO

Member:
    New England
    Not sure I understand. If you get out leaving it running and Don't lock it, and say you are 300 feet away from it, (far enough that the key fob is out of reach) can someone get in and drive away?

The one in my Tunrda if you jumped in you wouldn't be able to drive away because as soon as you touch the brake it shuts off without the key in the on position.

I was thinking it would be similar, the key fob has to be close enough, acting as the key in the on position. Yes/No

15. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:30 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    That's why I said "lock the doors using the key in the fob"...

Just pressing the lock button on the fob didn't seem to work while standing outside with it running, but the key did work.

16. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:33 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Do report back, I'm leaning towards the Fortin unit mentioned, but haven't made a decision yet.

17. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:40 AM
    Normagene

Normagene MUTANT TACO

Member:
    New England
    Ya I got that part. But my question is if the fob is to far from the vehicle, it cannot detect the fob, while the truck is running, can you still drive away?

Maybe I'm missing something here, I don't have my truck yet, it's being built, do you have to insert a key to be able to push the start button?

Reason I ask, my C-7 Stingray, the key fob can be in your pocket, purse, whatever, as long as its within a few feet of the car. The computer picks up the signal/chip and you can start the car. You don't insert a key.

That's why I was wondering if you are too far away from it while its running could someone jump in and drive away? Or does the fob have to be just a few feet from the vehicle.

18. Sep 30, 2016 at 5:57 AM
    PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4

There's a hidden key in the fob that can lock/unlock the doors and the glove box. Once the truck has been started, it'll beep if you leave the truck with the fob but won't turn off. Anyone can then get in and drive it until they run out of gas or turn the truck off.

19. Sep 30, 2016 at 6:02 AM
    Normagene

Normagene MUTANT TACO

Member:
    New England
    Really? Well that's an engineering error. If you get too far away, it shouldn't shut off unless you step on the brake, IMO.

Ok, that answers my question.

20. Sep 30, 2016 at 7:55 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Do you *want* the truck to turn off unexpectedly if/when the battery in your fob dies in four or five years?

Seems like that'd be a bad thing to have happen at 75mph in the left of seven lanes on the freeway.

Products Discussed in

To Top