1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote start

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by brny67, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Mar 16, 2017 at 5:37 AM
    brny67

brny67 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Hello 3rd Gen people....looking at 16 trd sport 4x4..am wondering if we can add remote start on the keyless ignition?

Tnx for any input.

2. Mar 16, 2017 at 5:39 AM
    Optimaltaco

Optimaltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off-Road
    TRD Pro - Grill and Rear Tail-Lights OEM Roof Rack FN overland 17x8.5” -6 BFG KO2 Morimoto 2 stroke LED headlights 30” auxbeam light bar Custom built Canopy Readylift 3" spacer kit Deaver 1.5-2" AAL Amber hazard strobe lighting
    Rus$ likes this.
  3. Mar 16, 2017 at 5:41 AM
    Optimaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro - Grill and Rear Tail-Lights OEM Roof Rack FN overland 17x8.5” -6 BFG KO2 Morimoto 2 stroke LED headlights 30” auxbeam light bar Custom built Canopy Readylift 3" spacer kit Deaver 1.5-2" AAL Amber hazard strobe lighting
    All depends on range, 2 way communication, price, and if you want another key fob with you haha. Range is best with a second remote, 2 way communication is only available with a second remote. But price might be cheaper if you with the "3x lock" depending on the shop I guess.

4. Mar 16, 2017 at 5:43 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Viper is made by DEI, same company that makes the DBALL2.

The 2016-17 Push-to-Start Tacomas are "Remote-Start-Ready" so just need a module added and you can use the OEM remote. If you need more range you can add an RF extender and carry a second remote, or add a cellular-based SmartStart module (with subscription) and start/lock/unlock from your phone from anywhere.

@brny67 See my signature for a DIY version. @KB Voodoo offers pre-flashed pre-loomed units if you prefer to go that route.

brny67[OP] and KB Voodoo like this.
  5. Mar 16, 2017 at 5:46 AM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    You are the man...tnx for that.

6. Mar 16, 2017 at 5:48 AM
    brny67

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    Really do not want a 2nd remote...i would want to keep the oem remote and use that....tnx guys

canada_taco likes this.
  7. Mar 16, 2017 at 5:49 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I had the same thought. That's why I put in SmartStart. I can start up the truck from my phone or Apple Watch while far outside remote range. Plus if I get into the office and wonder if I remember to lock the truck, I just send a lock command from my phone and it's good.

By the way, there is no official OEM remote start module. Some dealers have figured out how to leverage a Tundra or Camry unit, but I've yet to find any Tacoma specific instructions.

Also, *no* remote start has yet cracked Toyota's refusal to allow takeover. Meaning, all remote starts will shut off when you open the door. Really no big deal; I get in, foot on brake, tap starter button, and put on my seat belt. Truck's ready to go before my belt clicks in.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  8. Mar 16, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    Optimaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    Yea I still have my DEI/directechs account from when I was a 12V installer. I was going to go with the DBALL2 that I have, but then they announced the DS4 so I'm waiting for that to come out.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  9. Mar 16, 2017 at 6:57 AM
    Optimaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    It always amazes me as to how many people get upset about that. Even with a turn key you still have to put the key in the ignition, and it's not like the truck will instantaly get cold after 5 seconds of the door being opened. LOL

brny67[OP], KB Voodoo and gpb[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Mar 16, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, turns out I had no problem simply creating my own directechs.com account and flashing my DBALL2 with my XKLoader2. Really pretty self explanatory, though I documented it for others. Just know that DEI won't talk to end users.

The DS4 looks interesting, though my guess is the pricing is going to be well above the $68 I spent on the above components.

11. Mar 16, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    Optimaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    I realized I put dball3 not DBALL2 Lol whoops.

Yea haha it's for sure going to be more expensive but from what I hear it will have way more features like Bluetooth smart start.
    Lol I know the rep for DEI (western Canada) and a couple of the tech support guys from over the years of being an installer thankfully! Haha

12. Mar 16, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, though I figured you were referring to the DB3 that's recently been added to the application list. Best I can tell it looks like a DBALL2 replacement though it's unclear what the DBALL3 does differently. Seems to be available.

Yep. Should be interesting to see what it can do. Ability to open/close windows would be kind of nice. It'll be interesting to see what functionality the Bluetooth SmartStart offers. Offhand it seems you'd be within OEM remote range by the time you were in bluetooth range, so I'm not quite clear on the benefit. We shall see. The DBALL2 install is so easy it'd be pretty simple to retrofit a DS4 if the benefits seemed worth the time & cost.

Keep those contacts! :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Mar 16, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    nailersniper

nailersniper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited double cab
    I got the 2nd remote for up to 1200 feet and it works. The OEM with the remote comes with it and is good for a much shorter distance. The difference in price was $80 so I got both remotes. If you need it for distance, get the 2nd remote. You will be pleased.

14. Mar 16, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    I went the cellular SmartStart route. I can double-check that my truck is locked from a different city if I need to. :)

brny67[OP] likes this.
  15. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:01 PM
    thalonewolf26

thalonewolf26 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Off-Road Double Cab
    Completely factory with Bilstein shocks, window tint, and Coverking black w/blue insert seat covers to match exterior Blazing Blue Pearl paint.
    So I'm also thinking about going the cell phone route for remote start, but have a couple of questions regarding this as this is my first Tacoma or Toyota for that matter. How much does the subscription cost and has the app glitched at all and is it secure? The whole thing about it shutting off once door is opened wouldn't that be harder on the starter or make it wear out faster needing to be replaced sooner? Any input would be greatly appreciated

16. Apr 9, 2017 at 4:29 PM
    Optimaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    The price varies if you have GPS or not. And also what brand you go with smart start/drone. Viper and compustar should have prices on their website for the subscription, keep in mind the price of getting one installed will depend on where you go, don't be afraid to shop around and ask HOW they install it (solder & tape/heat shrink is the best). But remember you get what you pay for, one shop might be $100 cheaper but they might not take as much care in protecting the carpets, might not tell you if they break a clip, won't make the install look OEM/hiding the unit.
    When I was an installer we had an unofficial saying of "not the cheapest but worth it" we took care/time with our installs which may be inconvenient if your vehicle is in the shop for a few hours but it's better then rushing and breaking shit haha. We also were good with our workmanship warranty.

I did not deal with the drone unit too much but I know the DEI smart start (viper) had an update last year and it's getting much better.

As for the engine shutting off. It's a wearable component, over time yes it will (and like a long long time) But so will starting up your vehicle with out it, the nice thing is the new units are smart enough to not overcrank the engine, even though it's really really hard to do that on a PTS anyways haha. It's just like how having a remote starter will waste fuel but it's a lot nicer to get into a warm/cool vehicle depending if you use it in the winter or summer. It's a convenience feature really.

Hope this somewhat helps.

GeoBeemer likes this.
  17. Apr 10, 2017 at 5:15 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    See my signature for DIY installs for both remote start and DEI SmartStart cellphone remote add-on.

Yes the app isn't perfect, it'll error every once in a while. Just re-try the command. Usually it's gone through but not reported back properly. Watch app is more problematic, but okay.

Is it secure? Define what you mean. I imagine someone with all the right info and fancy computer gear could figure out a way to unlock your truck. Or they could just break the window quietly with a $4 automatic center punch. The system self-disables once you're in the truck and have restarted it, so even if someone has hacked in they're not going to be able to mess with you while driving.

Yes, technically more starts will cause the starter to wear out faster. I personally don't think it's a real issue. Think about all the starts you do moving the truck around the garage or driveway, or making myriad stops when running errands before or after work. Extra starts from a remote start aren't likely to appreciably affect the service life in real-world terms. Consider this question: How many starter motors have you had to replace in your driving history? As for me, it's been two. One in a Sebring due to oil leaking into it. The other in a Camry at around 190,000 miles.

@Optimaltaco Excellent points on choosing an installer who will do the job right rather than seeking the lowest possible price. Those hack job shops get away with it since so few people ever go in and look at the install job. I'm very particular though so usually do that stuff myself if I can.

Optimaltaco likes this.
  18. Apr 10, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    Rus$

Rus$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB AT TRD Off Road
    I got the 3 lock model off ebay. It worked well enough but I'd buy a 2 way if I did it again.

19. Apr 10, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    AFAIK both the DEI and Fortin units which do 3x lock with the OEM fob also allow you to add on a long-range one-way or two-way transmitter set.

Of course then you have a second fob to keep up with, which isn't something I want and is why I went the SmartStart add-on route.

Rus$[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jun 13, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    Optimaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    Long story short. I got laid off from being an electrician due to lack of work. Now back at my old job doing Car Audio work, which means I have the time to install my DBALL2 that was laying around at home. DEI doesn't have the firmware for the D4S which I am waiting on getting from DEI. Super easy Install. Took me roughly 30 minutes to do (not bad considering I haven't done an install in almost a year haha) soldered all the connections and used the lovely Tesa Tape for everything blending it in to give a factory look. Only wire that required cutting was the autolights. Only using the 3X lock from the factory remote for now. Once my D4S shows up I'll be doing the long range 7756V remote add-on.

IMG_0728.jpg IMG_0730.jpg IMG_0732.jpg IMG_0733.jpg IMG_0734.jpg IMG_0735.jpg

_swede likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top