1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Start???

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gizzygone, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Oct 18, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    gizzygone

gizzygone [OP] Hi. My name is Gizzy.

Member:
    Hey guys,

My researching continues (in the market for a new truck... currently stuck between a silverado 1500 and the tacoma).

I'm curious as to why Toyota doesn't advertise a remote start for the tacoma (and yet it's available for all other models).

Is there a Toyota Remote Start option??? Or is aftermarket the only option (not ideal for me)???

2. Oct 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    the factory remote starts on a chevy has a runtime of 10 min.. non adjustable.. not even from the dealership. and you can only use it 2 times.. then you have to start it with the key. the range is limited by the factory remote.

personally... i prefer aftermarket remote starts compared to factory. not just because i install them for a living, but you have more choices on them.. i have a 2 way lcd remote start that i have tested at 1 and 1/2 miles from my tacoma and it started it.. try that with a chevy remote start.

3. Oct 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    ^ x 2 always go aftermarket way better and usually less $$$

4. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:06 AM
    gizzygone

Member:
    Two things make me nervous about aftermarket:

1: Tapping into the electrical harness of a brand new truck: If something were wrong from the factory, the dealer may point their finger at the aftermarket remote start. And then, nothing would be fixed!

2: Too many remotes. If I had the Toyota keyless entry/VIP alarm, then I would need a second set of remotes for a remote start, no?

Also, aren't the antennas still mounted on the windshield? It just doesn't seem like the cleanest option to me...

5. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If you have an aftermarket unit professionally installed I wouldn't be concerned.

2: Too many remotes. If I had the Toyota keyless entry/VIP alarm, then I would need a second set of remotes for a remote start, no?

Pass on the factory alarm and get a quality alarm/remote start system. You'll get better protection with more available options plus remote start.

Another thing. If you get a remote start system get one with two way paging. This way you know if your vehicle started or not without having to physically look at the vehicle. My dad made this mistake. This was the first time in my life I was able to say, "I told you so."

6. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:21 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    I would'nt be to concerned about tapping the factory harness, many dealers in my area sub out the work to a local installer anyway. There are many aftermarket starts put in everyday and you rarely if ever hear about warranty issues.

I am pretty certain the aftermarket key fob can be used for all the factory features on the truck (make sure you by a starter with keyless entry), you wont need to carry the factory remote.

The antenna does not seem like a huge concern of yours, and just like Stang said the aftermarket option is way more flexible and probably at a lower cost.

7. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    gizzygone

Member:
    Don't certain models already have the Keyless entry and alarm included (Like the TRD packages?)

And if I were to go aftermarket, what brands are good to look for?

8. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    the guy sold me a Viper (one of htier lessor models) he told me he had sold DEI products for a long time but that thier remotes have been faulty in the past few years. I am sure someone more brand knowledgeable will chime in but I have been more than statisfied with the viper.

9. Oct 19, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    tim920

tim920 Never seen Forest Gump

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    I love the remote starters but one thing I realize is that it doesn't shut off the headlights once the engine turns off by itself (at least it doesn't for mine). I sometimes forget to shut off my headlights but once you pull the key out of the ignition the lights shuts off automatically. The next morning I would start the truck up with the auto starter and the headlights would turn on because I would forget to shut them off the night before. However, the lights stays on even after the engine shuts off due to the time limit.

Is there a way I can make the lights turn off along with the auto starters? One time I started the truck at night and decided to take another vehicle then the next morning I needed someone to jump my truck.

10. Oct 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    So heres the problem... Your key decision between a 1500 and a Tacoma is a remote start? Seriously? Doesnt everything about the Tacoma being better than the 1500 have any role in your decision? I hope you wouldnt throw your money away on a 1500 because it has factory remote start. I think the Tacoma is a better choice all around. I really hope you weigh more options then just the remote start. Just my $0.02... Good luck.

11. Oct 19, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    gizzygone

Member:
    No, it's not a key decision, it's part of it though. My previous truck (before my current and horrible 07 Jeep Wrangler) was a 1999 Silverado. She was a great truck, perfect mix of practicality and luxury (smooth riding, leather interior, with a bed). She was very good to me, but I lost her when I was rear-ended on the highway.

Now, a brand new silverado LTZ would be out of my price range, if it weren't for the current incentives right now. But, with the incentives, I can get one down to within $3k of the cost of the Tacoma I want (TRD Sport access cab). Making it a very very tough choice.

Saying the Tacoma is better in every way is quite a statement. It's helpful to me in that you love your Tacoma, but in other ways it doesn't make sense.

Comparing Bed size, towing capacity, rear seat space (Access cab vs extended cab), engine, luxuries (leather, remote start, power sliding rear windows, etc), the Silverado comes out on top. For me, it's a lot of extra truck for 3k.

So, little things like a remote start matter to me. It's something I want, and aftermarket wasn't something I had originally considered (due to the fears I stated in a previous post)

12. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I know its not better in every way. I just love it a lot more than my 00 1500 for what I use it for. In some cases a 1500 would be a better truck. Just ragging on you for bringing up a 1500 in a Tacoma forum. Good luck!!

13. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    gizzygone

Member:
    Haha. Thanks. I'm sure when it comes down to biting the bullet the Tacoma will win (unless chevy keeps offering these incentives all the way into next July...).

But then the question will become: Access cab or Double cab (More bed space... or more passenger space).

Oh how life is difficult sometimes :D

14. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    So the saga continues. I say get one of each. Then just use them accordingly. Thats the only reasonable solution I can come up with.

15. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    tim920

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    Isn't the Double Cab Long Bed the same size as the Access Cab Long Bed?

Edit: I meant bed size wise. Both are 72" right?

16. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    gizzygone

Member:
    Long bed isn't really an option for me with the DC. It's too long for the city, and I think in stock form, it just looks goofy.

17. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    tim920

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    Yeah I know what you mean about the length. I had to pass a many parking spaces because my truck was too long. Parking can be a bitch especially in areas like Faneiul Hall. If you're going to haul things you should probably go with the access cab with the long bed. Good luck with the research.:)

Seen this thread yet?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/12674-short-box-vs-long-box.html

18. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    Remote Start....

Just had one installed today. Its a Audiovox Prestige APS620. This eliminates your factory lock/unlock remote. I have one remote that locks/unlokcs and starts.

Installed $220.00 by a company that I trust and has been in this business a long time. AutoSound is the name of the company.

19. Oct 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    to solve the light problem you simply send a pulse to the door triggger wire making the truck think you opened the door.. most remote starts have a pulse after shutdown wire... it sends a 1/2 pulse to the wire and the truck simply shuts off the headlights... thats exactly how i did it on my truck and works perfect everytime. hope that clarifys things..

also.. 90% of ur dealerships have guys like me install their remote starts... i NEVER cut a factory wire.. i simply strip back a 1/2 of wire to expose the wire inside... make my connection and solder the wire and then tape the wire really good.

20. Oct 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    tim920

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    Crap. Looks like I'm out of luck. I don't trust myself enough to be wiring anything. Thanks for the info anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top