1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote starter suggestions please

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hookedontronics, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Nov 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I'm a huge car audio guy but i've never messed with remote starters before nor do i really plan to. I've got some buddies who are full time installers and they can install them in no time at all and give me a price that makes it not even worth attempting myself. First off i'd like to say i'd prefer an oem option/key fob but i do not think that exists, if it does, i want to know about it. My truck is a 2010 DC automatic. I'll buy the unit and have one of my buddies install it for me.

Looking for suggestions please, here is what i'd like to get out of a starter:
    -remote start obviously
    -keyless entry, lock/unlock and will still arm my factory alarm (so i can only have 1 fob on my keychain)
    -Now the third option, and i'm not even sure this exist but i'd like to be able to control the heat/AC from the fob. Is this possibly?

Please chime in. Thanks

2. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
  3. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    Bump for some info!!

4. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I'm having a python 991 installed friday. It's got the alarm, and remote start.
    I don't know about arming the factory alarm, cause i think the aftermarket ones bypass that.
    as far as controlling the heat/ac from the fob, I don't think that's possible, but don't quote me on that.

5. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    yeah i've been looking around today and don't think that's possible either. However i see you can see what temp the interior of your truck currently is

6. Nov 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    Subbed...
    I'm looking to get a remote starter and alarm as well since my keyless entry system works only when it wants to. I doubt that you'll be able to get something to work your heat/ac - you will need to set your knob to heat/ac manually before leaving the vehicle. Since you have a fairly new Tacoma, I would recommend a 2-way set up. The Viper 5901 comes with the remote with display. It can display the inside temperature of your vehicle and you can program your system to keep the temperature without a certain range as long as you keep the heat/ac set to on - the system starts the vehicle and runs until the temperature reaches your set parameters. Your best bet would be to speak with authorized resellers for further details. I am only providing information that I received from a local reseller of DEI products (maker of Viper/Python products).

7. Nov 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
  8. Nov 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    padarinsmith

padarinsmith Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPT DC
    :threadjacked:

Did you install this yourself, if not how much did it cost to have it installed.

9. Nov 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    Viper or compustar

10. Nov 18, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    i have an Autopage and it works just fine.

11. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    i have a 1402 python and the start smart pack so i can remote start from my phone. ( which i like). the dealer i got it from was able to set up my smart start over the phone.

I did it myself takes about 6 hours plus mine is a manual tranny ;)

as for ac/ and heat you must preset it before you leave the car.

12. Nov 18, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    I got viper 5901 and installed it myself I does help I install these all day...the hardest part about installin is the prep of the wires b4 actually wirin up the truck and as far as heat and air just leave it on b4 exiting truck

13. Nov 18, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    DEI Brands IMO.... Viper, Python, Clifford. Those are the premiere brands from DEI and I wouldn't go with a different version.

I've put it AutoPage and Compustar, and to me, none are as user-friendly as the DEI brands. I hooked mine up to a pair of window modules, and get my windows up when I arm, can roll down/vent all 4, or front or rear pairs, and hooked up the last output to my radio to turn on and off while the car's not running.

14. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    chrwilliams

chrwilliams New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Brandon, VT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5 Magnetic Grey
    What about a really basic remote start?

Just something to start the truck, I'm not looking for bells and whistles. My truck already has stock alarm, and key-less entry. I am liking this thread.

15. Nov 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    I still say DEI... they make some decent stand-alone units that for the most part come with door lock outputs...

So you could have keyless entry AND remote start all on a SINGLE keyfob

16. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
    i didnt install it i got it insalled for 175

17. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Silverdale, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 F-150 FX4
    Viper 5901 I have it and love mine

18. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    I wouldn't get a super cheap $100 remote start system. With newer vehicles there have been cases of hot wire's bypassing certain features and burning crap to the ground. Some require special keys and stuff that I wouldn't trust just anybody to install. If I was going to do it I would spend the money and get it done by a reputable company with a high quality system. This costs money, but if it is done poorly you may pay the ultamate price (your truck).

I know Compustar has multiple remote ranges to choose from 1 mile, 2 mile, 5 mile and more. With that, you can choose from remote start, alarm, both, temp sensor inside that tells you te temp on your remote. Two way remotes, one way remotes, and even GPS features that can locate your truck if stolen. You can even get the GPS to work on your phone as well as the remote start features and temp. All these things come with different price tags depending on what you want. I heard good things about viper too, but only researched Compustar and will probably get one.

Again, I would strongly be discouraged from the $100-$150 Walmart specials. Thay may work, but who knows who made them and installed them.

19. Nov 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    I had an older dei starter in my old truck. Flippin outrageous trying to reprogram it

20. Nov 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    Yup, to anyone who didn't program them on a regular basis, they were (all alarm systems, not just DEI).... counting chirps and led flashes, pushing buttons and reading intructions.... all made for a hellatious time.

I finally scored myself a DEI Bitwriter when a shop I was working for began to close down.... stuck it in my toolbox and didn't think twice... seemed like a fitting parting gift.

Makes programming my alarm a snap now.

Products Discussed in

To Top