1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Starter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chrisrothrock2000, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Oct 21, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    chrisrothrock2000

chrisrothrock2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Devil Horn Emblem, Access Bed Cover, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Bed Mat, AFE Dry Drop In Filter, Sock Monkey Decals, Custom Fishing Rod Holder
    Winter is coming and I am thinking about adding a remote car starter to my Taco.... I have zero previous experience with these. Does anyone have input on which to buy and what is all needed to install?

Also.... Auomatic Trans... 2008 TRD Offroad

2. Oct 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    leg killa

leg killa Well-Known Member

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    If you don't have much experience I wouldn't messwih it too much..a buddy of mine helped me out..too like 5 hours.I have a viper 5901.you have to get a module also..I bought the pkall..hope it helps

3. Oct 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    I'm soon to purchase a viper 5901 with a directed XK05 transponder kit - I believe that is what you need for any of that class of alarm, for our trucks. Currently the best and most reliable source I have found is Amazon.com

4. Oct 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    It's well worth it..starting to get cold here

5. Oct 21, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Def worth it. Get a 2 way remote start system so you know you started your truck and wont have to look out windows or the door to see if it cranked over. Get a pro install. The ish is pretty complex

6. Oct 21, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    iDRiVaTRD

iDRiVaTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    I have a Python 990. I use the remote start feature every morning when I leave for work, every afternoon when I leave from work, and about 85% the rest of the time.

Starts every time, no complaints, although the remote needs a new battery about every other month or so since it gets used a lot.

Also the installer just removed the transponder ring thing from around the ignition and moved it under the dash and stuck one of my spare keys with it. This saved me from spending more money on a special device that does the same thing.

7. Oct 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    chrisrothrock2000

chrisrothrock2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Devil Horn Emblem, Access Bed Cover, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Bed Mat, AFE Dry Drop In Filter, Sock Monkey Decals, Custom Fishing Rod Holder
    So it sounds like I should have a professional install one.

8. Oct 21, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    If you ain't competent witht his stuff yes get it installed professionally

9. Oct 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    cwrose

cwrose Don't spreadsheet this...

Member:
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB in MGM
    +1 to getting it installed professionally if you have no experience.

Living in Alaska, nearly every car on the road has an autostart. They are wonderful as they save me lots of gas. When it's about 30-40 below zero, we have to let our cars run for about 15-20 minutes just to get some fluids warm. Unfortunately, in my line of work, I can duck out to start my car before having to leave, but I may not always get back to it within 20 minutes. The longest I had accidentally left my car idle was about 1.5 hours. :( But, This is where the autostart shines, as it will automatically shut off after a predetermined amount of time. usually around 15-20 minutes depending on the model (even longer for diesels).

My biggest gripe with an autostart is the fact that you are not there to listen to your engine turn over, fire, and idle. My block heater went out on my car last winter, and of course I didn't realize it until several days afterward when I eventually started my car without the use of the remote. So, come to find out I had been cold starting my car at -20 degrees F.

Basically, I think the autostart is a wonderful piece of equipment, but I don't like to solely rely on them. Hope this info helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top