1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removable Bed Rack For Softopper - Possibly Selling - San Diego

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by flag_taco, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Sep 13, 2022 at 9:46 AM
    flag_taco

flag_taco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR, DCSB
    Hey TW. I've been working on a removable bed rack design that will fit over my Softopper. My main requirement is that it can be removable so I can still use my truck as a truck. I do not use a RTT and will mainly be using it for surfboards however Im sure it will be strong enough for RTTs. Let me know what you guys think of my design and if you have any interest in one, let me know!
    C1855DF3-25EC-4332-A714-9301809E9E56.jpg Im going to use poly bushings where the rack connects to the bed to reduce vibration and since they will be exposed to weather. Im planning on using 1.5" tubing and having the whole rack powder coated.
    5A3D569E-BB3A-4B2B-82B5-7141CF941496.jpgThe slots are dimensioned to fit RotopaX mounting brackets. The squares are for any other mounting options; axe, shovel, strap anchor, etc.

2. Sep 13, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    bubba swift

bubba swift Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR
    looks pretty good imo!

3. Sep 13, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    I'm interested. Almost went with a ladder rack since they're cheap. I still might. I'm located in Long Beach but head down that way often Screenshot_20220909-111147.jpg

clenkeit and flag_taco[OP] like this.
  4. Sep 13, 2022 at 12:40 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    Looks great! This idea very much interests me! I love my Softopper because it's so easy to remove when needed but it would be helpful to have a rack going over it. That said, I haven't been able to think of a design that I really like and think solves all the problems I foresee - at least for my specific and picky uses/preferences. As usual, I have to overthink everything and make it super complicated, lol.

Couple of things I've thought about:
    • To be practical, this really should be made from aluminum. Steel is going to be heavy and likely a pain when you need to get it on/off. Especially when you realize that with a design like yours the whole top section needs to come off with the topper in place which makes it more awkward. For me, I'd need something that's SUPER easy to remove/install
    • Instead of aluminum I had also thought about just a lighter weight rack whether it's thinner/smaller materials or just less material in general. Of course that comes with a lot of pros/cons.
    • Your design doesn't allow for the topper to be folded up/down with the rack in place. This isn't a deal breaker for me but I see how it could be useful. It would definitely insert some difficulty in terms of design though.
    • I'd consider making the bedrail mounting plates run the full length of the bedside. I have a hard enough time getting mine to seal on a flat surface and having two high spots for the softopper side rails to sit on will only complicate that. Possibly something you could overcome with just a whole bunch of extra foam seal.

I've even thought about having only a single hoop over the softopper. That would allow me to use that single hoop to essentially extend the rack that's already on the cab of my truck. Truthfully, that's all I need is a bit more room and don't need a full rack over the topper.

I'll be interested to see how your project goes :thumbsup:

dirtnsmores likes this.
  5. Sep 13, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    I had a similar idea - to use one of those ladder/lumber racks which is designed to fit OVER a camper shell. Not the best looking product and for my use I'd probably hack it up and customize it. But, compared to the other options out there, it could be the most cost effective one if you're able to find a good price on a used one.

6. Sep 13, 2022 at 1:10 PM
    flag_taco

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR, DCSB
    I am designing the rack tall enough for the topper to fold while the rack is on.

I like the single hoop idea…. I really just need 1 hoop for 7ft+ surfboards. I run a Thule crossbar over my cab anyways. However the issue of the bracket high point on the bed rail is still there. I think I could get it sealed up pretty good for when I sleep in the bed.

7. Sep 13, 2022 at 2:52 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Is that illustrated in your rendering? I see a decently big gap between the topper and the rack but when folding the topper up the frame will extend well over 1' above the cab height. See 5:12 in this video: https://youtu.be/W6JrfFd3J2g The determination I reached was that the rack would have to have removable top pieces to allow for this.

Another product I stumbled on which could be a good solution for the single hoop idea: https://usrack.com/c-1174420-truck-cap-rack.html

Looks like they sell them in sets but I wonder if they'd sell just a single one. I figure they probably offer replacement parts and whatnot so you could probably call them and say you had their rack but one piece got lost or damaged and you need a replacement. Not cheap at what I'd assume would be $350-450 but likely still cheaper than many other options.

The high points is still an issue of course. I've thought about getting rid of my plastic bed rail caps in favor of something like these: https://www.kbvoodoo.com/accessories/powder-coated-bed-side-rail-cap-system-fits-years-2005-2015 You could even buy that or make something similar and use that for your base and weld your rack brackets directly to it.

8. Sep 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM
    flag_taco

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR, DCSB
    Dang those racks are actually pretty awesome. Wonder if you could cut the square tubing off the bracket and add a pin to make them removable without having to take the softopper rails off every time.....ideas ideas ideas

I have a 3rd gen softopper on a 2nd gen tacoma. I also have a short bed meaning the folding height is alot less than a long bed. I measured 29" from bed edge to TDC softopper folding. You are correct, the rack will be higher than the cab if folding is to be possible with a rack overtop.

For my requirements however, I dont mind if I cannot fold the softopper with the rack on. I usually drive with all the walls rolled up on my softopper anyways (safari style). When I do need to retract the softopper, it will probably be to load large things that would require me to take the rack off anyways.

That being said, if folding the softopper while the rack is attached is a requirement for you, i wouldn't mind making a slightly taller version of the rack to fit your needs.

9. Sep 13, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    I would think with a little ingenuity and the ability to weld you could definitely figure something out.

I was wondering if the SB vs LB thing would make much of a difference and seems like it does!

Unfortunately, for my long bed that would mean the rack was way, way higher and I think that'd be just a bad idea. It'd look like crap, worse gas mileage and wouldn't match the height of my cab rack (which would be requirement for how I would plan to use it).

dirtnsmores likes this.
  10. Sep 13, 2022 at 7:50 PM
    dirtnsmores

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    Honestly the height doesn't matter to me. If I'm going to have to fold softopper down, that means the bars are going to have to come off as well. I just want an easy way to remove the bars. Stoked to see what you come up with

Godzilla619 and flag_taco[OP] like this.
  11. Nov 3, 2022 at 1:24 AM
    tashunkawitko

tashunkawitko Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CrazyHorse
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Taco TRD offroad
    I am interested. I have a best top super top. Was looking at the overland xtrusion, but price is a tough pill to swallow, at least right now. I think 21" height is what will clear my soft top.

flag_taco[OP] likes this.
  12. Nov 4, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    tashunkawitko

tashunkawitko Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CrazyHorse
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Taco TRD offroad
    +1 on the surf rack use; RTT compatibility would be cool also, btw. Where do you surf. HMB and Kellys cove @ SF are my home breaks. Love to surf Socal in spring and summer.

13. Nov 4, 2022 at 9:11 PM
    flag_taco

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR, DCSB
    I think I’m gonna make mine 24” so they can match the same height as my cab cross bars. But we’ll see how it goes. I’ll keep you posted

tashunkawitko[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 4, 2022 at 9:15 PM
    flag_taco

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR, DCSB
    yea definitely on the RTT. I don’t have one but if I do, it definitely needs to be compatible.

I surf in the San Diego area but I drive all over the state for surf. I hate sticking them in the back when I have gear back there too.

tashunkawitko[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Nov 4, 2022 at 10:19 PM
    StrangeDuck

StrangeDuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner AC TRD Offroad; 4.0 6-speed
    265/75 Bridgestone Dueler ATs, 5100s all around, OME 883s front, EL095R Dakars rear (overload removed), custom sliders, Clazzio seat covers, Softopper, KB Voodoo URTC
    I've got a 2nd Gen AC and an in San Diego 8f you need sny measurements for the 6ft bed and a softopper. I am not sure if this would need any gussets at the corners or not. I guesd that depends on how much you intend to carry. You might also make sure the spacing of the bars is good for accessories
    (RTTs/Thule cargo carriers/etc.)

flag_taco[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 4, 2022 at 10:27 PM
    flag_taco

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR, DCSB
    I’m more concerned more about designing it for surfboards and fishing/camping gear than a RRT. Therefore I don’t need as much static strength.

However, I believe that with the side mounting plate, it might be strong enough for a slim/wedge RTT and 2 people.

You can fix the brackets wherever on the truck bed rail as you’d like, really.

17. Dec 15, 2022 at 3:45 PM
    sentientprogram

sentientprogram Well-Known Member

Member:
    You probably can consider a design that has a quick release feature. That would help with your goals of being able to add or remove as needed

dirtnsmores likes this.
  18. Apr 18, 2023 at 1:35 PM
    dirtnsmores

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    Any luck with this

19. May 20, 2023 at 8:39 AM
    flag_taco

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR, DCSB
    Unfortunately im going to be putting it on hold for a while.

Products Discussed in

To Top