1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

removing a 2" leveling kit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by landandsea, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Jun 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    landandsea

landandsea [OP] New Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5
    2" leveling kit front end with an extra leaf spring in the rear
    Hi
    I bought a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 from the USA and need to pass a federal inspection in Canada which apparently means removing the levelling kit! I want to remove it and replace it after the inspection, what is the cheapest and easiest way to do this?
    I see lots of post for putting one in. I don't know the make or model of the kit............as all it looks like is a black composite spacer (2"). The back end had a section of leaf spring which had bent and cracked the other ones so I had to replace them.

Also if I remove this kit will the 33s I have on it rub and cause problems to the front?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jun 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    landandsea

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5
    I think it has to be stock (no modifications at all). The piece that Toyota quoted me was $260 for each side and it would take a week to get here from the east. Too bad about the tires, I've had a horrible time finding 16" rims to buy even......As you can imagine this is adding up really quickly.

3. Jun 12, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    He's not really asking if you have to tell them. He's saying, if you put in a lifting spring instead of a spacer, will that do the trick?
    If you went with an OME coil, they're black just like the stock ones. You wouldn't be able to tell.

4. Jun 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    landandsea

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5
    How come they couldn't tell? They are doing an inspection. Also is a lifting spring cheaper than the spacer? Or more available? Thanks

5. Jun 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 F-350 Powerstroke
    I really feel sorry for you guys and the stupid inspections. Move to Oregon.

6. Jun 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    landandsea

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5
    If your truck is in good shape you only need the federal inspection once when you bring it into the country. This truck came from Oregon! I actually brought it in Seattle, it was a repo. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of the costs of importing it (if I get over $25 000 I probably would have been better buying here.
    I had a hard time finding a V-6 manual tranny access cab or quad cab so I may have bought prematurely:)
    Thanks for the links SecretSquirrel but I'm a chick not a man.

7. Jun 12, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
To Top