1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing/installing plastic injector spacers.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RaiderSix, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Apr 2, 2008 at 9:06 PM
    RaiderSix

RaiderSix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I recently replaced my fuel injectors on my truck and noticed a vacuum leak around my number 3 injector. While I had the injectors out, I replaced the plastic spacers that press into the head, and all the associated o-rings and such. The factory manual says to use a flathead screwdriver under the spacer lip and twist it to pry up the spacer. Every one of the old spacers on my engine shattered with barely any force applied. The brand new spacers felt really brittle and were fairly difficult to press into the head. Now I've got to take the number 3 spacer out and reinstall it correctly (the spacer is cocked and causing vacuum leak) and am wondering if anybody knows any tricks of either how to get them out or install them easier without breaking them.

(It's the black piece above the manifold ports.)
    [​IMG]

2. Apr 6, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    RaiderSix

RaiderSix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay, I got the new spacer out without so much as chipping it. The o-ring on it was torn from when I installed it into the head with a little too much force. Just a word of advice, if you are planning on removing the original (old brittle plastic) ones, be prepared to remove the head in order to remove all the plastic shards. I already had my head off to replace pistons when I replaced mine. Oh, I used a door panel tool to make it a little easier to get them out.

To Top