1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing New Vinyl Smell

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Maticuno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Aug 12, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno [OP] Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    I'd post this in the Ford truck forums, but their detailing section is dead.

Right before I traded my Tacoma for it, the previous owner of my F250 had the front leather seats redone in leatherette. Looks and feels great, but in the desert heat it is off-gassing like crazy. The smell inside the cab is very strong and after a day of driving it almost feels like a thin film of plastic is coating my nose and tongue.

I tried some Mequiars Gold Class leather cleaner which helped cut the smell for a few days, but it came right back as bad as before. Other than leaving the truck parked with the doors wide open for months, is there any product or process for stopping the new vinyl smell?

2. Aug 12, 2017 at 9:36 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I doubt you can remove it. It's the material off gassing.

3. Aug 13, 2017 at 4:13 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    First of all, love the truck. I owned that exact truck for 10 years. Fantastic beast. Just sold it a few months ago. Can't wait until I can own another full-size Ford again. That was my high school rig ^_^.

There is a possibility that what is smelling, is a product they have put on the leather. Wash it with warm water and a little bit of dish soap. Scrub it down and let it air out. Wash a couple times if need be. Then find a leather cleaner that is NOT leather scented. A lot of cheap leather cleaners have a horrible leather smell, the previous owner could have been using one of those.

Also don't forget to condition that leather 1-2 times per year. Again find a mildly scented conditioner. Heat and UV rays will kill the leather over time making it hard and not plush anymore.

If you can't get rid of the smell, trash them for Clazzio's.

Products Discussed in

To Top