1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing paint scuffs....big ones

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by drewskie, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    drewskie

drewskie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I park my truck in the yard, under one of those cheap pop up covers. It's been really windy here (waaahhhh, I know) and the cover was blowing around like hell. I put supports under the tarp so it wouldn't blow into the truck, but it didn't work. The whole tarp came off, so the metal fram was left to float around in the wind, all over both sides of my truck. White painted metal poles, black truck. Now I have lots of thick coated white paint scraped onto the bumper, doors and rear panels.
    What the hell can i use to get it off? Will rubbing compnd work? I know nail polish remover would work, but it will ruin the clearcoat too. I just hope it's not scratched too bad under the scuffs.:mad:

2. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM
    JRob33

JRob33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    '10 White Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I've always had really good luck using rubbing compound. Depending on your scuffs, you might need to start with a medium then go to a fine compound or only need a fine. Either way, just pick up both and if the fine doesn't cut it, step down to the medium. Oh, and the brand that I've used has been Turtle Wax

3. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm not a detailer so take this with a grain of salt... When I detailed my truck, I did the wash, clay bar, polish and wax and the polish step removed a lot of the marks I had on my truck from either getting hit or rubbing up against something. I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and thought it worked great!

4. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Start with the lightest compound first. I would try either polishing compound or Ultimate compund first before attempting rubbing compound. Might also try somethng like GooGone and/or WD40 to see if you can't soften it up and rub it off first. Also, might run by a detail shop and see what they say, might be more cost effective then buying all this stuff to try.

BTW, I would not use rubbing compound. Rubbing Compound and clear coat don't mix.

Products Discussed in

To Top