1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing Silicon sealer

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by gorilla33, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Oct 22, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    gorilla33

gorilla33 [OP] Stock Radiant Red

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    05 trd sport
    The rear window on my Tacoma starting letting water flow into my truck. This caused the inside of my truck to really smell awful. In a moment of stupidity I used clear silicon sealant to shoot in the gaps around the black molded plastic in order to stop the leak. This would have worked fine if i had taken the time to tape off the paint so that left over goo wasn't on the paint. The sealant has now cured and left a dull look to my paint about an inch above the window, the full width of the window, due to the sealant residue film on the paint. Is there any good ideas to remove this stuff from my paint?

2. Oct 22, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) would probably do it but I'd test it to make sure it doesn't damage the paint first.

3. Oct 22, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    is it genuine silicone? GE brand? Ge brand should peal right off no problem. other brands are not real silicone, they are imitators. Silicone will not chip or crack. (i used to be a packaging engineer at ge silicones)

Anyways, use a little gas if it's not a ge brand and it should clean right up

4. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Many things like "automotive goop" will stick to paint something fierce. I have not found anything I feel safe putting on my paint that will loosen them. Worse is.. they're super flexible and have incredible strength.. Try scraping it with your fingernail and they just stretch.

If its RTV.. rub it with your finger.. if its automotive goop type stuff.. maybe call the manufacturer or read the tube possibly.

Products Discussed in

To Top