1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing stock muffler

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hoopscoach, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Sep 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    hoopscoach

hoopscoach [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab TRD
    I am going to try to remove my muffler and replace it with a flowmaster 40 series muffler. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this I read another thread that said WD-40 and pliers. Will I need anything else? I think I am good on the inlet/outlet so it should fit. Will I be able to use the existing pipes? I would like to hear from some people that have done it before I pull it off. Thanks.

2. Sep 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So you just bought a muffler, not a catback, correct?

If so, you'll need to have an exhaust shop cut the old muffler off and weld the new one in. They can use some of the existing piping.

If you bought a cat-back, all you will need is WD40 and a socket set.

3. Sep 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are the pipes & muffler all one piece on the tacoma?
    I don't have experience doing this on a tacoma, but I've done a lot of mufflers on other vehicles.

Do you know if the Flowmaster will accept (slide over) the existing piping? If you do not know.... measure BEFORE you start cutting. Measure the outside diameter of the stock piping and compare it to the INSIDE and outside diameter of the flomaster. If the outside diameter is exactly the same, then I would take the flowmaster down to the shop and tell them you need it flared to accept xxxx diameter pipes.

Then, when you are absolutely certain the pipes will work together - then you can start cutting. Cut the pipes as close to your stock muffler as possible. You're better off having more piping and have to remove more than be too short and add.

When the stock muffler is removed, then its a matter of holding the flowmaster up beside the pipes and making marks of where you need to cut the pipes again.....to ensure a good fit. Always allow for like 3 or 4" minumum overlap in the pipes that slide together.

You'll probably have to disconnect some of the hangers & such to ensure the pipes slide in - sometimes it can be a bitch/tight fit. Use the hose clamps until you can get to a shop and have the joints welded.

Products Discussed in

To Top