1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing upholstery from door panel?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RebelRider201, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    RebelRider201

RebelRider201 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    South, AL
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    5% tint, black emblem/grille/etc, 10k hids, Flowmaster super 44, Tuff Country 3", 1700w amp, Kicker L7 12.......and on
    Sorry guys, I'm unsure whether or not this thread has already been started somewhere but I'm looking to recover the grey "carpet-like" interior on my driver door panels with camo to match my seats. In the past, I've taken the whole panel off to install door speakers but I'm curious to know if anyone knows if it's possible to just take the carpet inserts out for re-upholstery.

Thanks-

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    search DIY leather arm rests

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    RebelRider201

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    South, AL
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    5% tint, black emblem/grille/etc, 10k hids, Flowmaster super 44, Tuff Country 3", 1700w amp, Kicker L7 12.......and on
    1st Gen hause......

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    RebelRider201

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    South, AL
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
  5. Jun 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    tacoman78

tacoman78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Limited Dbl Cab Prerunner
    Deck Mod
    I would think it would be much like any other interior upholstery piece and spray glue was used to stick it to the plastic. I'm pretty sure you could take it off. I mean if your going to be replacing it with something else anyways, you can rip and cut that material cause your going to get rid of it anyways.

I had the same idea about replacing that piece of material as well. I think I'm going to replace mine with a black felt or another material that I might find at the fabric store, but I just haven't gotten around to getting it done.

I would just watch a few episodes of Street Customs, or Pimp My Ride and kinda watch when they do the interior of the car like the head liner and door panels and see what they use. If I remember correctly, "Ish," will usually use some sort of spray adhesive to bond the material with the plastic. If it works for them then it should work for you.

6. Jun 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    tacoman78

tacoman78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Limited Dbl Cab Prerunner
    Deck Mod
    Just did a little research online real quick. It seems that 3M makes a nice adhesive for interior work. 3M makes a "Super 77", but there are reports that this adhesive does not hold up well in hot weather or extremely humid climates. Most places I read recommend use the 3M 80 or 90 series as they are more of a cement and a permanent adhesive. You could also look into a brush on 2 part epoxy that should render the same results.

I personally will probably use an epoxy formula simply cause I won't be covering the entire door with material only a small part, so I want to minimize over spray, also cause I'm lazy and don't want to mask off the area around it to prevent the over spray.

That's just me. It's your truck, your materials, you money, do as you see fit, that way you only have yourself to blame if you F*** it up.

Products Discussed in

To Top