1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repainting my camper shell

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cutter_, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jan 13, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    Seagull233

Seagull233 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4 V6
    BMW seats, OME Suspension, CBI and NWTI plates front and rear, 13,000 winch, LED light bars, Ham Radio, topper with roof rack added, stainless exhaust, 2nd battery, inverter, sound deadener
    Don't panic because you are working on fiberglass. It doesn't appear that you need to do anything more than, as others have said above, give it a good cleaning and degreasing, sand only until the surface is smooth, fill any holes with reinforced filler, bondo for surface scratches, sand those areas out, primer and paint.

My experience with fiberglass is that the time to be cautious is when you are working with the cloth or matt, before it has been encased in the resin. That is when you will get it into your skin. Most important is to remember to never rub your skin. After it is laid up on a panel or whatever, and you are sanding, you are only creating dust, which you can easily blow away. You always need a respirator for whatever kind sanding and other body work you are doing.

Cutter_[OP] likes this.
  2. Jan 13, 2019 at 11:19 PM
    Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 extended cab reborn!
    Complete OME suspension kit, Used low mileage V6 engine swap, black powder coated Chou Seiki T15x7JJ, ARB deluxe bumper, Smitty Bilt nerf bars, Weathertech floor liners, Torklift tiedowns
    Great job on repainting and restoring your camper shell. A lot of pickup truck owners allow their shells to fall into disrepair, lack of care, and lack of maintainence. I'm also not a fan of tonneau covers, no matter how well made it is.

I went through refurbishing my camper shell about 2 year ago myself. My camper shell was starting to look bad and had issues with nasty scratches and leakage issues after 20 years of ownership. I got tired of the way it looked and the puddle of water towards the front of the bed during the winter. I had to repaint my camper shell at the local Maaco body shop. No more ugly scratches and the paint was matched with the OEM paint off my truck. I had leak issues with my shell so I took it over to Campway's in San Jose, CA to have their techs install new seals on the front & side windows, and reinstall the camper shell. No more leaks! Installed a new light cover for the interior light. The gas shocks for the shell door are getting worn out now and will need replacement. It's well worth the investment to refurbish the older camper shell if it's in good physical shape.

Cutter_[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2019 at 11:38 PM
    Cutter_

Cutter_ [OP] I probably could have googled this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Super Air Nautique Build
    Old Man Emu lift, 2 10" JL subs
    Something about proper camper shell maintenance makes me a little stiff in the trousers, especially after seeing everybody else's falling apart!

Hamer95USA[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 14, 2019 at 12:10 AM
    Hamer95USA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Complete OME suspension kit, Used low mileage V6 engine swap, black powder coated Chou Seiki T15x7JJ, ARB deluxe bumper, Smitty Bilt nerf bars, Weathertech floor liners, Torklift tiedowns
    I see a lot of pickup truck owners driving around with broken rear doors, broken side windows & screens, rear doors held up with a wooden stick, scratched up & faded paint on the camper shell, and poorly fitted camper shells in their truck bed. It makes the truck look worn out & run down.

It's a great feeling and a sense of accomplishment to refurbish a used or worn out camper shell back to brand new again. Unfortunately, Glass Tite & Raven camper shell manufacturer, went out of business and was bought by BrandFX Body Company. I had to go online, did some research, and found BrandFX Body Company from a posting on another forum. I emailed their company and was able to locate parts from their Glass Tite inventory.

5. Jan 14, 2019 at 12:26 AM
    Cutter_

Member:
    Vehicle:
    There was a website I found last year that sold all the seals needed for a camper. I forgot the name but I’m in need of a few different style seals and hardware for mine, including cab gasket, rear window T-gasket, and bedwall gaskets. If they sell plexiglass precut, that would be a big help too

6. Jan 14, 2019 at 12:31 AM
    Hamer95USA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I would find out the brand & model of your camper shell with the serial number and contact the manufacturer directly. Some of the manufacturers are out of business or have been bought out by another company. Some sellers online may have an inventory of leftover parts. They should be able to help you locate the parts you need. Doors, windows, and hardware on old camper shells are hard to find.

7. Jan 14, 2019 at 5:37 AM
    Seagull233

Seagull233 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4 V6
    BMW seats, OME Suspension, CBI and NWTI plates front and rear, 13,000 winch, LED light bars, Ham Radio, topper with roof rack added, stainless exhaust, 2nd battery, inverter, sound deadener
    And expensive from dealers!!

8. Jan 14, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had the fiberglass hood on my Ranger Edge replaced and painted. The painter was very irritated about having to buy a special sanding sealer to seal the surface... the glass just kept absorbing the paint and giving it a crap finish, he said next time wrap it, half the prep work.

9. Jan 14, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    Cutter_

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I found a place near me that sells my model, belaircampers, but the guy seemed disappointed I got mine for $70 and didn’t go through him so he told me that my parts would be way too expensive?

Anyways, f*ck the dealer lol, he told me that it’s impossible to replace the rear plexiglass itself “it wouldn’t fit in the channel” but I’ve already found a glass sheet thin enough at Home Depot. Anyone ever done glass replacements like this?

10. Jan 14, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Unless you have some objection to a bit of texture, something like www.monstaliner.com would be easier and much more durable than paint.

Yes, it's a form of bedliner, but w/o rubber bits in it and loaded with UV protection. Comes in many colors. If you are trying to be matched, they may have one that would work.

Of course if you are wanting a slick paint job that you can crawl around and wax every few months, this won't help you out. :D

Hamer95USA and Cutter_[OP] like this.
  11. Jan 14, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Regular glass shops do this w/o any issue. However, if you are going to use glass, I would think it should be tempered (for safety) and it won't be cheap.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  12. Jan 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    As a third option consider neodymium magnets with studs. You'll be able to move the camera around. I occasionally have a hitch mounted bike rack that gets in the way of my camera. I just move the camera to a new location.

I have magnets holding my front facing camera in place as well. They work really well. The front facing camera turns on and off via a switch I have on my over head console. I used this camera to diagnose a suspension issue I had with my front end.

13. Jan 23, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    Cutter_

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone have any idea which project I should complete first, if I want to drill the roof for a surf rack? I want to upholster and paint as well, but I don't know at which point I should drill the roof. I want to be able to cover up the bolts coming through the top and don't know if I should upholster before or after.

I looked at this upholstery in person from HD today, wondering if this is a good choice - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elevati...n:{0:0}+cnb:{0:0}+oos:{0:1}+qu:{203469232}:qu

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  14. Jan 24, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    lukester78

lukester78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma Single Cab 4x4
  15. Jan 24, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    This isn't an issue with 1st gens. It's a 2nd & 3rd gen problem. 1st gen tailgates can't be removed just by putting it down and tilting to one side and running off with it.

16. Jan 24, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    Cutter_

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I remember looking at your thread when I was doing my first build with my old cap. You did an excellent job especially with that window swap. Where did you get your upholstery from, or what kind is it? I've been looking at different options. I used that spray glue on my old camper and it was a nightmare. I'm thinking of using the can of upholstery glue you spread with a brush.

Does that insulation make much of a difference? I'm in SoCal and don't know if it's necessary

17. Jan 24, 2019 at 2:04 PM
    lukester78

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma Single Cab 4x4
    I used an 8x6 indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. Not sure the insulation does very much, but it makes it just a little bit softer when I smack my head on the shell :rofl:

18. Jan 24, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    Hamer95USA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Insulating your camper shell interior helps retain heat and prevents condensation.

19. Jan 24, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    Cutter_

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I get alot of condensation coming from the inside because my camper is a sex chamber

jre32 likes this.
  20. Jan 24, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    lukester78

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma Single Cab 4x4
    I’ve only camped alone in mine so don’t have that particular issue @Cutter_ :rofl: but I don’t get any condensation.

Cutter_[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top