1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repainting Prinsu Rack sides

Discussion in 'PrInSu Design Studio' started by triumph65, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Aug 3, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    triumph65

triumph65 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Posted this in Gen 3 and one of the members suggested I ask here.

I traded my Frontrunner for a used Prinsu. Took a loss on the Frontrunner because it looked like a shipping pallet on top of my Tacoma, was all kinds of loud and I was happy to get rid of it.

The sides of my Prinsu are a bit scratched and chipped, not terrible but could use a light coat of paint. The air deflector and rails are fine. I’d rather not spend the money to have the sides blasted and re powder coated.

I can clean up the sides, sand a bit if needed and just apply a couple light coats. Any advice on a decent spray paint option?

Thanks for any help!

2. Sep 12, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    Desert Dog

Desert Dog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Gatos
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB
    Work in progress
    Also got a deal on a used Prinsu and decided to repaint it. Sent the bars to a powder coat since spray paint would not be able to get good coverage in the slots. For side bars, I did a once over wet sand with 300 grit to take the luster off and to smooth out paint chips. Swab everything with alcohol to remove grease and then hit it with a flat black rattle can with built in primer. Let it sit for an 1/2 hour and hit it with a second coat or until can is empty. Then let that set up for at least 4 hours or overnight and flip over to paint other side. Let dry 24 hours then do a light wet sand and repeat. Since majority of original paint was still there, I did not feel need for a primer coat.

I first tried a semi gloss black but didn’t like it so I sprayed over that with flat black. Also Tried to go cheap with local hardware store brand paint but found the spray started to splatter when can was nearly empty so I let it bake in the sun for a day then came back with the 300 grit to sand out the splatter bumps, runs and bugs , then did a final coat with a popular name brand flat black to avoid new splatters. Allow 3 cans to do the two side rails and wind deflector.

Products Discussed in

To Top