1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repair costs?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SolitaryNomad, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Jul 28, 2017 at 10:14 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    No

No

SolitaryNomad[OP] likes this.
  2. Jul 28, 2017 at 10:20 PM
    toyotamd

toyotamd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra Cab V6 auto TRD
    bummer.
    you might want to look into these guys in Providence:
    http://www.autorust.com/
    What's that, 5-6 hours from you? I think they contract with many local shops/welders as well.
    I replaced my frame earlier this year, but only after a few months of arguing with Toyota until they finally agreed to do it under the extended warranty. If I didn't live in the west (and if Toyota didn't finally agree to do it), I would have definitely pursued them. They have basically crafted a business out of repairing F'd up frames like yours and mine.

3. Jul 28, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    You have a broken leaf sticking out of the pack as well.
    It's in safe to drive as is and I hope you would not have the conscience to sell that to someone without them knowing.
    Maybe accidentally let it roll off a cliff. Cough insurance.
    Sorry man don't mean to be rude but the frame is bad.

4. Jul 28, 2017 at 10:51 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    Yeah sure just commit a felony that will surely be investigated by the insurance company. Not like there is any info on the internet about the bind he was in right before it magically fell off a cliff. In case you aren't catching the sarcasm, don't risk destroying your future over it OP.

Currygoat and SolitaryNomad[OP] like this.
  5. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:00 PM
    SolitaryNomad

SolitaryNomad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    None (yet)
    Update: I got in touch with the CEO of Toyota USA. After he reviewed my case, he thanked me for my military service was very appreciative of it and then told me in a slightly more eloquent manner to "go pound sand".

I'm currently looking at other vehicles and trying to finance my negative equity.

I probably won't be able to afford another Tacoma so I bid you all adieu and thank you for being such a supportive community.

Nomad out

6. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    MagicMexican

MagicMexican Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alejandro
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma Xcab TRD 4WD 5-Spd
    Aftermarket Wheels
    That sucks to hear, good luck.

Do a search for any car dealership nearby running one of those 'Cash for clunker' type deals. I hear them on the radio from time to time, "We don't care what you're driving or dragging, we'll give you $5000 for your trade". I'm sure there's a catch, but it may be worth looking into.

Or maybe see if you can part the truck out. Unfortunately, no one will give you any decent amount of money for the whole thing, but you may be able to put a dent in your loan selling the parts seperately.

edit: Here's one in Connecticut... downside is that you'd have to drive a Hyundai lol
    https://www.stamfordhyundai.com/4000-push-pull-or-tow-trade-sale.htm

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  7. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    Braves95

Braves95 Go Clemson Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB P&T 6MT
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    Payoff the loan? It's a 2003.

8. Aug 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    If everything else on that truck is solid with a good running drive train parting it out would probably pay off what he owes. That's why a wrecking yard is offering to pay $5000 for a car. Those parts all add up real quick. "If" you have the time to be taking everything apart and shipping them to who's buying them. I could just about guarantee that truck is worth $5500 in parts. Depending on the overall condition of the truck, that is. I had a '73 Cadillac for 18 years. The car itself was only worth about $1500 but when I was looking at what body parts were selling for a hood alone would bring $750.00

9. Aug 17, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    With the poularity of these trucks and the frame rust issues, it's surprising no enterprising business or individual hasn't started offering aftermarket frames.

10. Aug 17, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    TRVLR500

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    You can still buy a new frame for them but they are about $3500.00. Then you'd have to get it stripped and coated somewhere to make sure it wouldn't rust out like the original unless they changed the metal composition of the newer ones. If I remember right, it was the nickel content in the steel that wasn't right and caused the rusting. There really was no excuse for it. They could have charged an extra $1000 dollars for these Taco's when they were new. I had a '73 Caddy for almost 20 years and drove it every day. Originally a NJ car and I drove it in the mountain states all those years where they salt the roads. That frame was just fine when I gave the car to a friend 3 years ago. Nothing but minor surface rust. The body was a different story.

11. Aug 18, 2017 at 1:33 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    It all depends on your skill set the only real market for after market frames would be to the people that can`t build there own because of what ever reason.

Then leading to a place to do the work if you need to pay labor it just got real expensive

Those of us that can just build a new one and go about our business . I was thinking Stainless steel the other day

That is why I refused the buy back offer from Toyota .

I do feel sorry for all the people coming into Tacoma`s with no idea of the frame issue

If your not really into Tacoma`s most likely your not going to know because if you did hear at the time it did not effect you so it just was forgotten shortly

Parting out the truck might be a way to get back some of your money if you have the space and time my problem the shipping costs for all the major parts gets expensive fast most often enough to lose the sale . Enough local interest to recoup some of your loss .

12. Aug 18, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks like autorust has almost the entire truck frame available in sections. Should check them out.

13. Aug 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    This. Part it out. I can't in good conscience recommend selling this death trap to someone else. It's just not worth it. You could definitely get your money back selling all parts except the frame, maybe more. Engine alone could fetch you a couple grand. Though selling locally may be a problem since I'm sure everyone and their grandmother is thibking the same thing up in the rust belt. I'm sure everyone up there is parting out for the same reasons.

14. Aug 18, 2017 at 10:21 AM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    That's missing out on a lot of money in my opinion. He'll be lucky to get $1k for it as a trade-in. Except that Hyundai dealership.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  15. Aug 18, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    What is the least amount you will take for the Truck not like I need another project .

16. Aug 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    Sounded like he signed off the site (for good).

If not, good luck with the sale. If that's not working out, what if a few of us helped with the part out? Like Wyoming said, hate to see another one go away, but also hate to see a member in a bind. I'm in NY between Albany-NYC, and have space, and time (cough cough). Just thinking out loud, but it seems like others think there is enough value here to help bail him out. I've not parted out a vehicle before, but there's a first for everything.

Or would there be enough value in selling a repaired vehicle? Don't know if that would cover his loan and the repair costs.

17. Aug 18, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    TRVLR500

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    Well, he's young and going to college which obviously is taking up whatever time he's not spending chasing girls. We all did it whether we went to college or not so he'll do what he's going to do and either learn a very difficult financial lesson or he won't. Good luck for what ever he does. Hopefully he didn't sign out permanently.

18. Aug 19, 2017 at 1:02 AM
    DrZ

DrZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L 5-speed
    If it's worth it to part it out, then he should be able to sell it for a good amount to someone else that's willing to part it out, someone with experience parting vehicles out that knows the value of the various parts.

19. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:10 AM
    Wyoming09

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    Super Springs
    I was always a Toyota person but more into the mid-eighties 4X4`s I still have way to many .

I never heard about Tacoma problems till they started showing up to have frames repaired this was before the extended warranty was started .

The rust on these was worse then I was used to seeing on 15 year or older 4X4`s

I know a few of the Tacoma`s I repaired were bought back others are still on the road or field as the case might be.

Sorry for the OP not having the option of fixing his own truck which in his case would be his best option .

I have Tried parting out vehicles in the past on dedicated forums it was a lost cause .

Unless your Labor is figured for free You have a Great rate with the freight carrier of your choice the only thing people want is small parts that can fit in a small flat rate box.

It comes down to should I pull this engine disconnecting everything nice and neat @8 hours or should I spend those 8 hours billed at my normal hourly rate

cruxofthebisquit likes this.
  20. Aug 19, 2017 at 3:21 AM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Sums up college