1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replace '14 door "tweeters" with 3" fullrange?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by SlowComa666, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Apr 16, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    Scratches preinstalled from original owner
    I just missed out on some scanspeak 8's. :( oh well. It'll be quite a while before I can start this little project.

2. May 4, 2015 at 9:43 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
  3. May 6, 2015 at 7:10 AM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    ^ Wow! Nice fab skills there.. Makes me wish I had a couple spare door cards. I'd do something like that for the mid-bass and also for a 10F scanspeak up top in the card, nice and sealed off so they perform well.

4. May 6, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Thank you. I learned a lot.

I have plans to install another set of midbass and full range in the tweeter location. Just sourcing gear at this point.

5. May 11, 2015 at 6:57 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    I'm redoing these below with scanspeak D3004 tweeters and 10F mids so I can relate. I've almost decided just a strong 2-way for the Taco. Here's another idea... Illusion Audio C3CX point source 2-way in the pillars. That'd be a crazy good frontstage. fa47f1dcb6476c20c421bd7c3fc7812d_af021537dcf4375c7bc3b968a43f7c9b22ca44bb.jpg29c5499bd6ca6f030dfd187a7e3045aa_0e4b4e4f60e8b6096e9c002d9b130a4cac19c917.jpg

6. May 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    I've heard nothng but good about the scans, but the 10F doesn't appear to have enough capacity for decent power at only 30w RMS. The Illuminator would be more suitable for my needs. That price though....

7. May 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    I've heard them recently at the NCSQ meet. They'll belt it out just fine IMO. They hung well in "Captainobvious's" wife's Corolla. No output issues whatsoever. It's all about the crossover points I believe. About 300hz to 3.5Khz and they'll scream. In a good way. I was sold after demo'ing that car. Silly clean and flat too.

8. May 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    I'm planning giving the mids and tweets 100 watts each processed, (PDX F4) so I imagine they'll be attenuated a bit but can easily run you out of the car.

9. May 11, 2015 at 7:15 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    That said though. I suspect they might not fair so well in door free air. Probably 400hz better. IF they fit. Plus they're a little big for the grill there which was my concern. However, small enough maybe for the pillars. :)

10. May 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    May have swung me in that direction. I would have 80w going and I could always back off them. They could be a nice match for my Milles. Would be nice to hear them.

11. May 11, 2015 at 7:23 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    Oh definitely. Are you planning pillars or doors though. That'll be the difference in good vs awesome.

12. May 11, 2015 at 7:23 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    I am going to flush mount the mids on the door card instead of under it. Plenty of room. Tweeters in/on the A's.

13. May 11, 2015 at 7:26 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    Cool!! I wonder if the area around them between card and door can be sealed a bit somehow to make a "chamber" so they can shine. I had thought of something like that seeing someone doing some Hertz mids like that in here. Afraid to cut that area though unless maybe the stock grill can come out so its not so destructive.

14. May 11, 2015 at 7:28 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    I have personally seen and found that allot of these speakers prefer IB setups,
    Sealed they handle more power but it changes their characteristics a bit and their response curves.
    ID recommend before going all out with it, Make a small sealed box , put them in and put them roughly in place and listen to them. IF you like the way it sounds then build a sealed box into the door card

15. May 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    Since I've already butchered my cards up, I don't mind going at them again. Might be able to do a small sealed enclosure, at the very least some CCF around them to keep them tight.

16. May 11, 2015 at 7:32 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    Definitely a build thread on that please. :)
    Yeah baffle stiffness will be crucial I'd imagine. Might take adding something behind the card. Maybe an MDF or other baffle and just glass it behind the card. Make it literally stiff as a board.

17. May 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    When i have time ill continue and completed my setup and ill post it all!!

Its more of a SQL Setup, 2 8s per door, 2 tweeters per A-pillar
    8's can play down to 43hz up to2 khz with ease , tweeters from 800hz and up.
    Ill prob end up crossing them at 60/80hz and tweeters at 1khz
    These mids keep up with about 450Square inches of cone area with around 8kw
    This is a SQL build so its a little different from the norm, The RAv 4 is the SQ build :) but thats a whole other story

18. May 11, 2015 at 7:42 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    :sawzall: I will build the mounts up and will figure it out as I go. That is pretty much the way I operate.

Oh yeah, build thread for sure. That way people can learn from thet mistakes I make!

19. May 11, 2015 at 7:43 PM
    Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Asheville NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD V6 6spd
    Hehehe. The term SQL cracks me up. Thinking of my Honda system now. It's dialed in tuned to the max perfect alignment, stage and imaging but with oomph. It's not massive SPL but enough to be painful. Hehe. I'd shoot for SQ with awesome tune but headroom I guess. Claydo's car... 10's in the doors. Morel tweeters and Scan Revelator mids up top.. Now that was impact and dynamics. Holy cow! Demo'd some Humble Pie live stuff for me that was crazy! Awesome for live stuff. It was good getting to a meet finally and meeting these guys I'd talked to for years on the forums. "Hillbilly SQ's" truck. Insane! Plenty of output. On that... I can vouch for the RS75 Daytons also. They're no slouch for small mids if crossed well.

20. May 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Exactly :) Its all sq up to about 140db on the TL lol(if i can even warranty saying it like that as SQ is so subjective ) after that.... well 150s is just LOUD! I can get them setup almost 100% flat on a rta and 95% close T.a, and sounds stage almost perfect. With the lvl of control in processing today, i can easily attenuate the bass to exactly how much is needed on the lower volumes to give me a nice flat response curve

Products Discussed in

To Top