1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replace ball joint, need alignment?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jimboj, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    jimboj

jimboj [OP] New Member

Member:
    My '05 Taco needs a lower ball joint replaced to pass inspection. The service guy says they recommend an alignment whenever they replace ball joints. Is this true, or is he just trying to make some extra money?

2. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    As a general rule of thumb, any time a suspension part gets adjusted or replaced, you should do an alignment IMO.

3. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Are you getting the lower ball joint replaced by itself, or a whole new control arm?

When I had my lowers done 1.5 years ago the only option was new control arms as the ball joints weren't available by themselves. This involves new control arm bushings and alignment cams as they typically seize.

If this is the route you are going, you will need an alignment in the worst kind of way. I don't know if the aftermarket produces lone lower ball joints for Tacoma's yet or not.

4. Feb 7, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    jimboj

jimboj [OP] New Member

Member:
    No, its just the ball joint. The service guy told me most of his parts dealers would only sell the ball joint and control arm as a set, but he did find one that would sell the ball joint separately.

5. Feb 7, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    The last time I checked (1.5 years ago) Toyota didn't even have a separate part number for the ball joint. Only one part number was specified and it was for the entire assembly. When you bought the BJ it was already pressed into the control arm.

I have heard sketches that the aftermarket are now offering them but individuals have yet to figure out how to press them in correctly. You don't hear much about lower ball joints here in the forum but it is a topic I've wondered about for some time.

Do us a favor and report back when you get the work done. Verify that the separate BJ was indeed OEM Toyota and a part number if possible. I know I'll appreciate the info in the future when the dealer wants $500 per side for a lower control arm, plus $80 for bushings, plus $50 for alignment cams - that's $630 per ball joint for just parts.

6. Jun 29, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Bump for an update to the lower ball joint issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top