1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replace Cigarette Lighter with 3.5mm Aux jack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by av8tor, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Jul 20, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    av8tor

av8tor [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the cigarette lighter so I can replace it with Aux 3.5mm Adapter jack ?? Would like to have a factory-looking auxiliary input in my truck and didn't want to drill a hole in the dash. Or is there a better way?

2. Jul 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    BLACKnBLUE

BLACKnBLUE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Iain
    Ellensburg, WA (Kittitas County)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SR5 with ARB Front Bumper
    ARB front winch bar, 3" lift, blacked out badges, blacked out headlights, Custom Steel Rear Bumper Mod, and Leer 100XQ
    I know a lot of guys, when they buy a new HU stereo system end up routing the AUX cable either out of the glove box or out of the center console. Furthermore, some HUs have AUX ports built into the front of the HU unit, which some don't like because then the wires are left hanging out. I just bought the Pioneer 3300BT (avh-3300bt) which has front AUX, SD, and USB ports, and plan on using an SD card all the time, so no wires and no secondary device to mess with.

As far as actually how to route the cables either to the glove box/center console I've never done it and would just have to get in there and see where the cable could run so as to not interfere with anything. Check out some of the audio threads to see how other guys have done it. Hope this helps.

3. Jul 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I run the GROM audio ipod/aux/usb box that plugs into the cd1 on oem stereo. I have the ipod and aux 3.5mm cables run to the glove box and the usb port can be mounted in the cig lighter hole of the blank area under the drvr side ac vent if not 4x4. I run a flash drive so no need to charge a 2nd device..........SD card would be great too but don't have that option. Many have run the cables to the center console too. Was easy, just reach thru and push the cable where you want it to be.

Products Discussed in

To Top