1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replaced tires and TPMS light is now on 2011 tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nmhs, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sep 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:
    I swapped my 245's for 265's and kept the original rims and now my TPMS light stays on. I followed the instructions in the owners manual and now I'm wondering do I need to have the codes reset to get that light to go away.

Any remedies to this problem?

2. Sep 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Prolly need them reset.

3. Sep 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    what is the tire pressure now and what was it before, did you reset the TPMS? Is it steady on or blinking?

4. Sep 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    don't need codes reset.
    don't need to touch that set switch.
    might have to play with it now though.

sounds like they broke a sensor.

Jester needs answers.

5. Sep 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    Sanders17

Sanders17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    Livingston, TN
    Vehicle:
    Black Sand Pearl 08 TRD Offroad
    You probably need a new sensor as stated above. i had to replace one of mine when i did the same thing.

6. Sep 15, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:
    Should the business that replaced the tires be responsible for replacing this sensor or am I. I ask this because it was some yound kids that swapped the tires and they didn't even know how to take off the tire weight?

Thanks

7. Sep 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    I would say yes they should be responsible! Im rolling at 144,000 miles on my truck and have been through 4 sets of tires and three different sets of rims and have never had a problem with my TPMS:cool:

8. Sep 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Absolutely, if it were my shop and we broke the sensor, we would replace it, we often have aftermarket tire shops send cars here b/c they broke one and need to replace it. Is the light blinking?

9. Sep 15, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:

The light blinks for one minute and then goes solid. Are they easy to break? These guys were trying to beat on the rim with a hammer to pull the weight off until I caught them and helped them understand how it comes off. Could that pounding break the TPMS? The tires are set at 40 PSI and the spare is 30 PSI.

Any thoughts

10. Sep 15, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    :facepalm: I would have told them to put the f****** wheels back on, and gone to a different shop. Since the damage is done, I would go back and explain the situation and tell them to fix it.

11. Sep 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    broken sensor.
    Take it back.

They won't be able to activate the new sensor so you will have to go to a dealer to type in the new sensor codes.

Have them replace it and write down the sensor code and then have them pay to have the sensors input into the ECU from the dealer. Or have the dealer do everything with a P.O. from the other place.
    We do this ALL the time.

12. Sep 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    robsled

robsled Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    r can saw
    Vehicle:
    11 SW Dbl cab PR
    Doesn't sound like a very good shop if they had "young kids" pounding on the wheel with a hammer to get the weights off! Just sayin'.....

13. Sep 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    if the tpms lights weren't on when you took it in and it's on after they worked on it. It is the shops reponsibility to fix it. i had to replace one on my mazda3 when i had a blow out. i think the blow out broke my sensor in the process. i went to this website and bought one, it's been working since then. www.orange-electronics.com

good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top