1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing AT20's finally!! What did you put on your Sport? Need advice

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by YoterHead, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    YoterHead

YoterHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OK, stock AT20's on my sport rims are at 46000 miles. They probably still have 10k or so left, but I'm about ready for new shoes. Going to up a size to 265/70/R17, or 265/75/R16 if I can find 16" wheels for cheap. It sucks that 17" tires are more expensive.

I'm looking for some advice not only on what tire, but AT vs HT. I'm a little budget conscious on these tires, hopefully less than $150 per tire. I want something that will last at least 50,000 miles, but the longer the better.

As for AT vs HT, I do most of my driving on pavement, but I don't want a worthless tire for when I do go offroad. I wouldn't mind an AT tire, but a straight HT might be off limits. Also looking to avoid a squishy tire. I don't want to be bouncing down the highway :)

It'd be nice to have a snowflake rated tire, but not necessary.

I'd love to be able to go out and buy BFG's or Duratracs, but they're a little of of budget unless I get them on a good sale. I'm open ears to suggestions.

I'd like to hear from other Sport owners who upped to 265/70/R17 and their experience with their tires. Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

2. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Michelin LTX M/S or ATX. They're kinda pricey too, but worth their weight in gold for pavement driving.

Otherwise the BFG Longtrails are an excellent HT tire as well. Essentially BFGs answer the the LTX.

3. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    09BlkSport

09BlkSport Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    S. Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2009 Black TRD Sport Double Cab
    Front Bilstein 5100's, rear 1" block, Westin Black bull bar, 18% tint all the way around, TRD CAI, (Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf bars on the way)

x2... Put 265/70/17 AT/2's on mine a couple months ago, love them. Paid 170 each

4. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I should also mention the AT/2's look alot more fierce in person if that makes any sense. They aren't aggressive like the BFG A/Ts or the Dura Tracs, but they look porcupine. Cute, but they'll fuck you up if you mess with them.

5. Mar 5, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    YoterHead

Member:
    Gotta say, any tire with "Michelin" in the name is too pricey. I had some LTX MS on a previous truck, they were nice, but not worth the money for the name.

I'm sort of leaning towards TOYO Open Country A/T, Firestone Destination AT, or General Grabber A/T. All of them have treadware warranties of 50,000 in P-metric. I think the General has 60,000. Not bad for A/T tires?

I wouldn't be opposed to AT/2's if they weren't so pricey. Also sort of like the Cooper Zeon's, but they're more expensive than I thought they'd be.

6. Mar 5, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I have Firestone Destination A/T's. And I am tickled to death with them.

7. Mar 5, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    YoterHead

Member:
    General Grabbers are out. Just found out they weigh 44.5 lbs compared to 39 on the TOYOs and 40 on the Firestones. Don't need that much weight bogging down my gas mileage.

So right now, Toyo Open Country AT vs. Firestone Destination AT.

Anyone have any other similar tires to add in while trying to keep the cost down?

Note: Nitto Terra Grapplers are not an option. Same as Toyo AT with a softer rubber for more grip. I'd rather have a little extra life on the tire and pay couple of dollars more. Plus I don't like the whole lightning bolt thing the Nitto's have going on the sidewall. Yuck.

8. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    Spend the extra money on the bfg at's you won't regret it.

9. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I put a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT's on mine. Very happy with them.

I wanted the BFG AT's, and have had them on 2 other vehicles in the past, just coudln't put the coin together for them this time when I needed tires.

10. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    YoterHead

Member:
    I've heard BFG's don't do well on ice or in wet conditions. I don't think I'll take my truck over any rock trails any time soon, so the tougher sidewalls don't mean much. If I was more of an offroader I would go for them, but I drive too much highway for it to make sense. My driving is mostly highway (40 miles a day for work) with moderate offroading (no mud if I can avoid, same with rocks, mostly dirt/grass, some sand).

11. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    If you want a decent tire that's great offroad and ok on some trails, take a look at the goodyear silent armor's. Those are supposed to be a great tire for the price and cheaper than the bfg a/t's.

12. Mar 5, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    z33tec

z33tec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Sounds like General Grabber HTS might be great for you. They have awesome reviews (especially for snow.) You said Generals were out of the question due to weight but I'm guessing to were talking about the AT2's? HTS aren't very heavy.

13. Mar 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    YoterHead

Member:
    ^^ The SilentArmors are still a little pricey for me.

^ I've looked at the Grabber HTS before. They seem like a great buy for a highway tire. If I do decide on a HT then I think that's the tire. I'm just struggling with the fact that a HT might make the most sense for me. I hate the way the AT20s look on my truck and was hoping to get something a little more truck like.

14. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    I think somewhat might have mentioned this but you can buy the Duratracs on ebay and then get 8% cash back. Discounttire has an ebay store so you can get their low price plus 8% cash back through Bing.

This is the route I just went. Plus I am also going to do the treadlightly.org deal for another $75 discount.

That makes my

265/70/17s 4 @$207 $828
    Less 8% cash back ($66)
    Less Treadlightly rebate ($75)
    Total $171.75 a tire $687

I got to think that is the best way to go right now.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    I personally think the stock dunlops are great tires. i had 265/65/17s on my 4runner and they were great tires.. super quiet, great grip wet and dry. I even had them in a couple feet of snow, as well as out in the sand in florida a bunch of times and was totally happy with them. i think they're better than the stock bridgestone duelers, which i have on my truck now.. i'd rate them the same for noise, wet, and dry, but definetely not as good in snow.
    I think everybody likes to dis OE stuff for some reason. maybe an excuse to buy new stuff?
    I had mine on my 4 runner for 45k miles before i changed them, and like you said, could have gone another 10k easy. i replaced them with identical tires too.
    Just been my perception that people always try to convince themselves and others that OE stuff is shit so they can have an excuse to go buy new aftermarket, and usually do more harm than good. Look at all the intakes and exhausts that people put on that have proven little to no dyno improvements and often losses.... i dont get it. Believe it or not, toyota puts a lot of time, effort, and engineering into these trucks to make them as good as they reasonably could.
    I think the dunlops are great for a highway vehicle that sees some offroad every now and again, which is what category most of us fall into.

Products Discussed in

To Top