1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing Pulleys

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by PVT Pablo, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Jan 1, 2016 at 9:22 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo [OP] Ultra Junior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Hey guys, I just got my super nifty mechanic's stethoscope and found out that my high pitched whining noise is coming from one of my pulleys. I'm about to go the store to get the pulley, I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

The noisy pulley is the one directly to the left of the alternator, under the oil filter, small and silver. Is that this pulley?

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-36173-I...58&sr=8-3&keywords=toyota+tacoma+idler+pulley

This is for my 4.0L V6 Tacoma.

Also, I'm at 60,000k miles, would it be a good time to replace the belt as well? The belt itself looks fine.

Thanks!

2. Jan 1, 2016 at 9:31 AM
    DK2006Yota

DK2006Yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    N

To answer your question, from your description, yes it sounds like you have the correct part.

In order to do this repair, you will be removing the belt, and if i recall, they cost about 20 bucks.. So it would save you some future time if you did it now, but if your belt looks good, no cracks etc then its probably not imperative. I personally would probably do it just because you've already got the belt off.

This might help you too:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...154-idler-pulley-bearing-failure-what-do.html

3. Jan 1, 2016 at 9:37 AM
    IgnorantlyAlberta

IgnorantlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    If it's not the koyo bearing idler pully you might be re-replacing it sooner than expected. I just replaced mine, make sure your belt is seated correctly after install or you'll b replacing that to.

4. Jan 1, 2016 at 9:40 AM
    PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Perfect thank you. That diagram is exactly what I needed. Thank you for confirming.

Anything special I should know for install? I've done serpentine belts before, just not pulleys.

5. Jan 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM
    IgnorantlyAlberta

IgnorantlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    It'll be a pain! Lol
    The pully will be on tight. Have patients loading the belt. It can be frustrating taking tension off and lining everything up at the same time.

6. Jan 1, 2016 at 9:53 AM
    DK2006Yota

DK2006Yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    N

Nope, its really not that hard. Put a breaker bar on the tensioner pulley, pop the belt off. Use that link I put in for the belt routing diagram. To remove the idler pulley, just follow that link I put up again. You can reuse the old shield, thats what I did. I actually purchased the Gates idler pulley/tensioner kit (replaces all of them) for like 175 bucks. The bearings are NTN canada, and have held up great. If you've done serpentine systems before, this is really nothing special. Oh I would recommend taking off the engine cover (2 10mm bolts) to remove that plastic cover. Just gives you some more hand room.

Like someone else said, make sure the belt is correctly on the pulleys before you go driving. Or you'll be replacing it again!

IgnorantlyAlberta likes this.
  7. Jan 1, 2016 at 9:55 AM
    PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Thanks for the help gentleman. I'm off to the parts store. Wish me luck trying to tell them what parts I want in English and them responding to me in Español.

IgnorantlyAlberta likes this.

Products Discussed in this Thread

To Top